Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Blackhawk .357 Mag?

Ruger Super Blackhawk .357 Mag?

Had a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and loved it. Like SA, like big boomers generally in both rifles and handguns. That said, and I know it's not "optimal" for personal defense, but the 4.62" in 357 mag. Or, in general. Anyone have the gun, and your experiences? Any others' thoughts?

Not using it for hunting. Definitely would be using it for some nostalgia and shooting pleasure, though it's not an original army in 45 LC.
    -Paul

"Any other thoughts?" Yeah...I wish I had one! .357 Mag. in a single action is FUN. I'm just a little concerned though that you might be wanting to hot rod it. If hot loads are your pleasure then the Super BH is a good way to go. I sold my last .357 Mag., a Pietta SAA, a few months ago and kind of miss it, but still have an assortment of S&W Mod. 19s and 66s, with a Colt Trooper Mk III as my heavy duty revolver. Anyway, get one and enjoy it. Standard loads are hot enough for me.

DG

Super Moderator

I have the convertible model with the 9mm cylinder, it shoots great and it'll probably go in my casket with me. It's the perfect knock-about woods gun, and 4-5/8" is the perfect length to carry around.

Boolit Buddy
    My first serious handgun was a used New Model .357 Blackhawk with a 4 5/8” barrel bought in Fairbanks the winter of 1979. I spent the next summer on the Arctic coast and in ten weeks it taught me how to shoot heavy recoiling revolvers. I have lost track of how many different handguns I have owned since, but looking back could have stuck with that Blackhawk and never needed anything more. The only changes wanted would be stainless rather than blue and a spare 9 mm cylinder. Get one!

Moderator Emeritus

In general the Super refers to the 44 Magnum BH only. I have a 6 1/2" 357/9mm BH which fits in well with the 5 1/2"44 special, the 4 5/8" 45 dual cylinder and the 5 1/2" 32 H&R Single six. Ruger makes good guns, tho every company can send out a stinker occasionally. I like the 45 in 4 5/8" as it seems handy to pack and get out of a holster quickly. The longer 357 is a good shooter but I rarely need to get it in action quickly. I would definitely look at a dual cylinder BH if you're in the market for a SA 357. I would not discount the S&W L frames, the Ruger Security and Service Sixes or a Dan Wesson if I ran across one at a good price. The only reason to discount the DA would be if you were into Cowboy action shoots.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Great info, thanks guys. I think that will my next. OK, truth be told, rewatching Yellowstone, S1E1, and thought, "man, his wheelgun looks good..." Had the 5 1/2" Super and liked the shorter barrel on Dutton's. Then saw it's the 4.6" .357. Sorry on the name, I think that stuck from my .44 mag. I think it's the New Model, like Chena you talk about? (And man , '79. That's pretty awesome testimony).
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

I wanted a 4 5/8" barreled 357 Blackhawk when I went into the gunshop in late 1971 or early 1972 , I had just got paid and had $75.00 in my jeans .
    In the display case was a 6 1/2" bbl. 357 Blackhawk , looked brand new ... marked USED !
    The shop owner sold it to a fellow who shot 25 rounds through it and brought it back to trade in on a S&W 44 Magnum (Dirty Harry had just come out and 44 magnums were in demand)
    The dealer had sold it as new already so he could only sell it as "used" ... he looks at me and my $75.00 and says ...heck , nobody wants an old SA Cowboy Revolver ...I'll take the $75 and throw in half a box of ammo the guy didn't want !
    It may not have been the 4 5/8" barrel I wanted but I still have and shoot her . We've walked many a mile and shoot many a cast boolit . The alloy grip frame and ejector rod had worn the color mostly off and they looked worn ... I polished them bright and added some Ivory Grips .
    Maybe not a great looking job but I'll say my $75.00 was well spent .
    She's a unmodified three-screw and I like her like that .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I would look to see if there is a .357/9mm new flat top available in stainless. The standard Blackhawk is a great gun. The new flat tops are a bit lighter and I have heard that the cylinder mouths on them are pretty much spot on. I have a few in .44 special and they are good on their dimensions.

You would have a very versatile sixgun that would fire all the .38 special loads, all the .357 loads, and all the 9mm loads. A very good combination.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I don't think they make a Super Black Hawk in .357. Just the regular Black Hawk. I have one with the 4 3/8 " barrel and love it. It had downed quite a few feral dogs and pigs and for me is very accurate. I use a 158 grain Lee FNRN bullet with H110 and I can keep it within 3" at fifty yards.

ACC

Boolit Buddy

Purchased a used stainless 6.5" NM 357 Blackhawk, from a co-worker's father for $200 in 1992. The sale included 4 boxes of Remington factory ammo. As that was a huge sum of money for me at the time, it served as my HD handgun for several years. Never felt undergunned. Still lives here.
    Last edited by bisleyfan41; 04-29-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have one with the 4 3/8" barrel also, and my only complaint is that it's virtually impossible to get a 9mm barrel separately. Got it used for 400$ before the lockdown really got into full swing. Can't touch the same revolver for less than 600 now!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    "Any other thoughts?" Yeah...I wish I had one! .357 Mag. in a single action is FUN. I'm just a little concerned though that you might be wanting to hot rod it. If hot loads are your pleasure then the Super BH is a good way to go. I sold my last .357 Mag., a Pietta SAA, a few months ago and kind of miss it, but still have an assortment of S&W Mod. 19s and 66s, with a Colt Trooper Mk III as my heavy duty revolver. Anyway, get one and enjoy it. Standard loads are hot enough for me.

DG
    I think you are confusing the 45 Colt on the smaller Vaquero frames 3-digit prefix (same size as the 1873 Colt) for strength?
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...96#post5570296

Ruger never made a Super Blackhawk in 357 Mag. The Ruger Blackhawks have zero issues with upper end 357 loads. I have two Ruger SASS Vaquero's in 5 1/2" and two SS Blackhawks ins 6 1/2"

I wish I had 9mm cylinders for them.

The SASS come in a two-gun consecutive serial number set with "SASS" prefix in a commemorative case.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-30-2023 at 05:52 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    When Ruger first chambered the 44 magnum in their single action it was a Blackhawk with the fluted cylinder. I turned one done many many years ago for $150 plus the holster. What a fool I was. Worth lots of money today.

I do have one of the early 45 Colt Blackhawk and had Ruger put a 45 acp cylinder in it. Find myself shooting the 45acp cylinder much more then the 45 Colt. Mine is a 4 5/8 barrel and empy it weighs 38 ounces if I remember correctly.

Boolit Master

I've had a NM Blackhawk 6 1/2" bbl since 1974.
    Fitted it with SBH grip frame the next year. Had the grip frame, hammer and trigger finished in Satin Nickle. Added a Polychoke Ventilated Rib too.
    These days it shoots better then I can. But in our day we could group 6 shots under 1 1/2" at 25yrds all day long. It's had over 35,000 rds of very hot .357Mag Loads with the #358156GC over MAX 2400.
    It'll probably the last Gun I'd ever sell.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Had a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and loved it. Like SA, like big boomers generally in both rifles and handguns. That said, and I know it's not "optimal" for personal defense, but the 4.62" in 357 mag. Or, in general. Anyone have the gun, and your experiences? Any others' thoughts?

Not using it for hunting. Definitely would be using it for some nostalgia and shooting pleasure, though it's not an original army in 45 LC.
    I have a Ruger “3-screw” Blackhawk .357 Magnum revolver, serial number 38,xxx which was made in 1961. It is well balanced, a pleasure to shoot, and -- imho -- quite pleasing to the eye. It wears Faux Elk bark Antler Grips which, to me, is another "plus". The original owner (I'm #2) sent it in to Ruger for their up-date, and all parts from 3-screw were returned -- and now live in a plastic bag in (original) gun box. My "experiences" have ALL been great ones with this revolver.
    I, too, have never envisioned it as a firearm for either personal defense or hunting. BUT -- for nostalgia and shooting pleasure, it is hard to beat! There is a crack on one of the grips, and after contemplating replacement -- I reckoned this, too, (no compromise vis safety or functionality) ADDS to this revolver's beauty! I have no idea what original owner fed through it -- obviously (s)he shot it LOTS!!! -- but my own cast bullets, medium loads, have been all it's experienced under my ownership.
    My thoughts? If you can locate one, try and make it yours!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post

Ruger never made a Super Blackhawk in 357 Mag.

The Ruger .357Max was built on the SBH frame

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...r-357-maximum/

(regular 357 magnums will readily chamber/fire in the longer .357Max chamber, just like .22Shorts in a .22LR)
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    To the OP;
    As you can see,, your terminology of calling the .357 SA revolver by Ruger a "Super" Blackhawk was incorrect. They are called "Blackhawks." And in the beginning (1955) when Ruger first introduced the SA in .357 They had a totally flat topstrap. In 1956,, they introduced the .44 Mag in the same Blackhawk frame size,, also with the flat topstrap. These guns are called "Flattops" by Ruger fans & collectors. In 1959, Ruger introduced the Super Blackhawk with a larger frame, a "protected ears" type of rear sight assy, and in .44 magnum. For a while they produced both the Blackhawk & the Super in .44 mag, as well as the original .357. In 1962-1963,, Ruger went into a "transition" phase,, where they phased out the smaller main frame of the Flattops, in favor of the larger frame size used in the Super Blackhawk. It included the "protected ears" feature. This is the frame size since for the Blackhawk & Super Blackhawk line.
    So, strength wise,, the post 1962/1963 guns with the protected ear rear sights are on the larger frame. This allows for a strong, dependable SA handgun capable of doing anything you desire that the .357 Mag is suited for.

Now, later on, in the wake of SASS shooting, and the 50th anniversary of the original Flattop .357,, Ruger has been building some models on the same frame size as the original FT's of the early years. These guns are still very strong, and are very capable of doing almost anything you might try.
    But, verify which frame size you have prior to going to the "Ruger/TC Only" loads in many manuals.

And yes, in 1982, Ruger did introduce the .357 Maximum, on an extended or what some call a "stretched" mainframe, and it too has the same Dragoon shaped grip frame as the Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. That gun was discontinued in 1984, with a bit over 11,000 guns released to the public. (Bill scrapped 5000 guns due to being pissed at a gun writer & a few complaints.0

Ok, with a little history out of the way, lets get on to what you may or may not desire.

All the OM (Old Model's prior to 1973, also called 3-screws) do not have a safety transfer bar system. In 1973,, the NM (redesigned action, a safety transfer bar, and (2) pins for the action) became the normal guns.
    An OM generally is considered to have the superior feeling action. A NM can safely carry 6 rounds in the cylinder.
    Both were offered as a convertible.
    No OM's were built in stainless,, only NM's.
    OM's usually cost more when purchased from folks who know what they are.

Figure out the features you seek.
    Blue or stainless.
    4-5/8" or 6-1/2" barrel.
    Convertible or not.
    OM or NM.
    Flattop or protected ears.
    Then, start your search.

Once you find what you desire, the fun begins. The .357 is a very versatile & fun caliber. And it shines in a SA gun. You can load mild to wild, and with a convertible, have an even more versatile gun. You mentioned "I know it's not optimal for self defense" and I can heartily disagree. if SD against a human,, it's a time proven stopper. You don't need 50 rounds from a "bottom feeding plastic wonder gun" to properly defend yourself. The caliber is definitely a solid choice for SD. Unless a charging bear is what you seek as more optimal for SD.

Ammo choices & brass etc are readily available & plentiful. Both in factory & handloading.

I own, or have shot MANY Ruger SA .357's including stainless, blued, OM & NM, convertibles, FT's & such. In fact I've shot & used all variations at one time or another. A TOP choice for a lot of different things.

A little side note; You mentioned that you know it's not a SA Army in .45 Colt. Well, Ruger has also built s good variety of their Blackhawks in .45 as well. It too is in the same category as far as versatility, with the exception of being a bigger caliber capable of downing even bigger critters than the .357 in general. It too enjoys the same variations as the .357.

Boolit Master

My first new centerfire handgun...around 1966...was a 4 5/8" .357 Blackhawk. Was my 'go-to' for many years of hiking, back-packing, and off-roading. Replaced by a stainless GP-100 in the late 1990s, it was sent back to the factory for rebuild/refinish and, today, rests on the top shelf of my safe. Still drag it out a couple times a year...just for the fun of it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    huntinlever: The New Model has the redesigned action with the hammer block. It lets you safely keep a live round in the chamber under the hammer. The New Model Blackhawk series actions are as rugged as heck, both in use and general banging around in back country. More rugged than Smith double actions (which I love and carried for work for 20+ years). I have never had one go out of timing, which the Smiths sometimes do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    The Ruger .357Max was built on the SBH frame

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...r-357-maximum/

(regular 357 magnums will readily chamber/fire in the longer .357Max chamber, just like .22Shorts in a .22LR)
    Can a 357 Maximum be chambered in a 357 Magnum chamber? The .357 Maximum cases are 3/10ths of an inch longer than a .357 Magnum case. The OP asked about a Mag not a Max.

The frame and cylinder for the 357 Maximum chambering had to be lengthened. Not the same frame. Ruger never made a Super Blackhawk in a 357 Mag.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-30-2023 at 05:54 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast