Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Ar buffer tube question

Boolit Master

Ar buffer tube question

Any reason a pistol buffer tube would not work on a ar rifle gun? Ar 15 or ar10? I am sure this is a dumb question but it bugs me. Is a specific length tube optimal for rifle. I am not thinking of pistol cartridges, just the high power center fire stuff. Thanks for input.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Any reason a pistol buffer tube would not work on a ar rifle gun? Ar 15 or ar10? I am sure this is a dumb question but it bugs me. Is a specific length tube optimal for rifle. I am not thinking of pistol cartridges, just the high power center fire stuff. Thanks for input.
    Just use the the rifle tube.

Boolit Grand Master

A pure pistol tube doesn't have the lug for the butt stock adjustment. A Carbine tube can be used on a pistol.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

It will function but you will be limited to a brace or brace like stock since like imashooter2 said, it's just a tube, either smooth or fluted. The tube usually doesn't change length, but the buffer and spring will make a difference.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

But it won't have stock attachment capability. Aka, screw boss on the end. Get a real rifle tube.
    Whatever!

Check for different part numbers on the spring.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    But it won't have stock attachment capability. Aka, screw boss on the end. Get a real rifle tube.
    The buffers with a screw boss on the end are made for A1/A2 stocks. They are considerably longer and use a different buffer than the carbine tubes.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Ok, now I am going to reveal my stupidity. I am building a ar 10 with the goal to stay under 6.5 lbs with scope. Every pit of weight saving is used. I am on fixed income so the laughs may now increase. I simply was wondering if my ar 10 ( rifle) could use a pistol type buffer with out bringing damage to anything. I am well into this project and I am certain I can achieve desired result. I busted a gear on my lathe so progress is very slow right now. I am going with a 300 savage cartridge for those that need to know.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

What's a buffer tube?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Pandoras box, once you decide Carbine, Rifle or pistol, stock or brace(which obviously only secures to a pistol tube) mounting, endless spring and buffer combinations to add to the mix.

Boolit Master
    It is my understanding that the length of the tube is important so that the buffer and bolt do not contact the back end of the assembly. That said, the tube itself is a light weight aluminum tube and the weight of it would be of little consequence. The big factor in the weight would be which stock goes over the tube, and the actual buffer. JP rifles goes to great lengths to keep the buffer from bottoming out as the rifle cycles, and claim a next level shooting experience with rifles set up this way. I say film of a JP rifle firing and it was impressive to say the least. I don't know if you can achieve both, but the tube is not the thing to worry about, as far as weight. This sounds like a very cool build , good luck, I hope you are successful.

Ok, now I am going to reveal my stupidity. I am building a ar 10 with the goal to stay under 6.5 lbs with scope. Every pit of weight saving is used. I am on fixed income so the laughs may now increase. I simply was wondering if my ar 10 ( rifle) could use a pistol type buffer with out bringing damage to anything. I am well into this project and I am certain I can achieve desired result. I busted a gear on my lathe so progress is very slow right now. I am going with a 300 savage cartridge for those that need to know.
    You have to keep the buffer tube components compatable. You don't want to go with a rifle buffer in a carbine or pistol buffer tube for example. Ar10's use different buffers than ar15's due to the longer carrier on them. Now onto the important stuff. What gear broke on what model of lathe?

Boolit Master
    It is a EMCO maxi at v10-p I take off the top lid (it’s kinda like a tray) and it’s the first gear beside the geared chuck or it’s the first gear from housing on right side. It’s some sort of composit material on a steel wheel. I had the wrench in head and turned it on, and POP, it stopped rotating. The belt from motor to drive shaft tore also. I heard someone say these are worth more in pieces for parts than as a working lathe. If any one knows we’re to look, I sure would appreciate the info. I simply did not think much about fixing it as we might be moving so a big down size is in my future. My kinfolk say I am not honest about my age and the natural slow down that happens as we get older. I do know all the operations on my skeleton structure and then the drugs is really messing me up. So I take life one day at a time.
    Look twice, shoot once.

If you buy an AR10 pistol buffer tube (receiver extension), it will work. But as said, you can't attach a stock (pistol brace is now illegal unless you SBR (tax stamp ATF) it. If you want a stock and have a 16"(+) barrel, an AR10 carbine buffer tube will work (receiver extension).

Now, if you don't have a build book go to ARFCOM to learn.

Look here to start, read the stickies.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Build-It-Yourself/4/
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-Variants/121/
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-Pistols/122/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by m.chalmers View Post
    If you buy an AR10 pistol buffer tube (receiver extension), it will work. But as said, you can't attach a stock (pistol brace is now illegal unless you SBR (tax stamp ATF) it. If you want a stock and have a 16"(+) barrel, an AR10 carbine buffer tube will work (receiver extension).
    A pistol brace on a gun with a 16 inch or longer rifled barrel and overall length of 26 inches or longer is legal. But a rifle stock and most braces are illegal on a pistols.
    PS not all braces are illegal on a pistol; the problem is the ATF will not tell the citizen which brace combinations are illegal. Instead of AR15.com, read the final rule from ATF.
    The ATF lists the 'factoring criteria' that they consider for illegality, but say that you must get an opinion from them if what you have is legal. It is a very bad catch 22 since they eliminated the work sheet.

Below is the source with link to final rule and it is how ATF will evaluate a brace, does not tell which ones will pass the test.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...ilizing-braces
    Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces”
    The rule outlines the factors ATF would consider when evaluating firearms equipped with a purported “stabilizing brace” (or other rearward attachment) to determine whether these weapons would be considered a “rifle” or “short-barreled rifle” under the Gun Control Act of 1968, or a “rifle” or “firearm” subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act. The rule’s amended definition of “rifle” clarifies that the term “designed, redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder” includes a weapon that is equipped with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment (e.g., a “stabilizing brace”) that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder, provided other factors, as listed in the definition, indicate the weapon is designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.

This rule does not affect “stabilizing braces” that are objectively designed and intended as a “stabilizing brace” for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. However, if the firearm with the “stabilizing brace” is a short-barreled rifle, it needs to be registered no later than May 31, 2023. ........

I hate plastic gears like that. If it were steel/iron it would be a simple fix. Does it have plain or splined splined hub? One might show up on Ebay as there are some V10 parts on there. If you have the mill attachment on your lathe and a dividing head you could likely press on a delrin/aluminum/bronze/iron/steel ring onto the gear hub and recut them if it just not a plain hub hole. Might also be able to get a boston gear or gear blank and fit it to the hub. Had to fix two gears on my Sheldon lathe when I got it 15years back, and made replacements for all of the 16T gears a couple years back. Nothing yet on the clausing other than a shifter fork. My buddy has some import we had to make a gear for. Would of prefered he got iron or steel but he sent me aluminum. Hadt to tell for scale but it's 5"-6" and 98 tooth. Seems to be holding up though.

Your two easiest weight savings are the barrel and handguard. Saved 10 ounces on this rifle by swapping handguards. Another 14oz by reprofiling the barrel which was still ended up a little chunky at 2# 9oz since it would be holding a suppressor.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 04-30-2023 at 03:19 PM.