Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: .32 Winchester Special & the 8 mm Karabiner cast

Boolit Grand Master

.32 Winchester Special & the 8 mm Karabiner cast

A general question; Has anybody used the 8mm Karabiner boolit cast from the Lee mold in their .32 Winchester Special rifle? I've started a project that is growing faster than I expected. . Hope to hear about sizing, lubes, powders and most of all ! great success stories !

Mine doesn't like any thing larger than

Boolit Master
    Well you don't say what diameter the bullet is, but both 8 x 57 and 8mm-06 are 0.323. My 1949 vintage Winchester 32 WS shoots best at 0.323, so maybe it will work.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Man

I don't have a .32 but I hope I can lend some helpful points from my 8mm KAR mold.

I would not be surprised to hear there's some dimensional issues with the task. Mine drops fat with wheel weights. 0.327 isn't outside of the ordinary with alloys, about 230gr. If you gave it a go, maybe a 25:1 or some other less expansive alloy would be worth a try. Not sure if you're going to run into stabilization issues with weight.

But if you're doing a real custom project, that could be real interesting...

Boolit Grand Master
    The rifle (Win 94) is from the '60's (I assume). The guy that owned it passed away and now his daughter is wanting to use it. (and her husband, too). I don't even have it in hand yet. The 8mm KAR is the only mold I have that would be close. I need lots more info before I can really advance on this one. --- The quest continues...........

Boolit Master

Order in a LEE 175gr RN .323/8mm bullet mold. they'll be perfect for the rifle and the manuals have loads for that weight already. I use it for my 50's era Win94 in 32 Win Spl and it gives me good accuracy sized at .323".
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    That combination, the 8mm Karabiner is also on my list for the .32 Special. I am currently shooting 200 grain LBT and NEI, both cast by Bullshop, and 185 grain flat nose from Matt's, all gascheck, all .323. On quiet days, (wind less than 10 mph), MOA can usually be acheived, that is 2" five shot groups at 200 yards. I have two Marlin 336's, 24" Waffletops that have been D&T for scope, 4-16 Simmons and 4-16 Nikon on them for range fun, load development. Too many fun projects on the list, oh well. I'll watch for your results. If you just need a starting point, Matt's .323 Flat Point Gas Check works well, I've used IMR 4198, Reloder 7 and Accurate 5744, all giving excellent results. I use a 8mm Lyman M die for neck expanding and a Lee Factory Crimp for the .32 Special (midwayUSA has them) other die sets can adjusted to set the re-adjusted to crimp OR WITH CARE can seat and crimp if the bullet has a crimp groove, with careful adjustment.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 04-25-2023 at 09:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. I'm going to tinker with the 8mm KAR first (because I already have it). Would like to move on to the Lee as that seems like it's designed for it. Now to just get a free day when I can cast! I can see this as a good spring project. Thanks, all.

Slug your bore. Mine slugs at .320. Early 1940's version.

Boolit Grand Master
    Slugging is first on my list. Unfortunately I don't have the rifle. The owner isn't very handy and I hesitate to ask him to try and slug it. (Visions of an 8# maul near the muzzle come to mind.). As soon as I can get it, it will be slugged.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to tinker with the 8mm KAR first (because I already have it). Would like to move on to the Lee as that seems like it's designed for it. Now to just get a free day when I can cast! I can see this as a good spring project. Thanks, all.
    First off I use the LEE 175 grain bullet from my pre 64 Model 94 and it shoot great! Actually the bullet isn't made for the 32 lever actions, made for the 8mm rifles, and some people are hesitant to use it thinking it's semi point is not a good idea in a tubular magazine. I haven't had any bad problems with that and haven't heart anyone else that uses it having any problems either.

Boolit Master
    the only bullet my 32 ever sees is from rcbs mold 32-170 fn. no need for anything else

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    the only bullet my 32 ever sees is from rcbs mold 32-170 fn. no need for anything else
    No big deal, just a properly made nose punch puts a flat tip on it while sizing and lubing it. Only has to be a very small flat too.

I had a new mould that you use and was way undersized for my Winchester. Would have been perfect for the Marlin 32.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got my eye open for any of the above molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Got my eye open for any of the above molds.
    Here is the RCBS bullet designed specifically for the 32 Special. It's what I use in my 2018 manufactured Winchester 94AE. It weighs more like 180 grains than 170, which is a plus IMO. This is when cast from 50/50 clip on WW and pure lead plus 2% Tin. I load it with H4895 using the starting load for jacketed 170 grain bullets. Shoots great and killed 3 deer with it this past season.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010269536?pid=383491
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 05-03-2023 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's a good looking bullet. Thanks