Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Ithica M37 12guage 28" vent rib

Boolit Buddy

Ithica M37 12guage 28" vent rib

I'm thinking about buying one. A friend of mine inherited it and wants to sell but has no idea of it's value. I have no idea of a fair price to offer. Can some of you shot gun guys help me out please?

Boolit Mold
    I own a few Model 37's including featherweights (one vent rib), a police and a trench. As I am sure you know, condition is key. Does he know year of manufacture? Not that it's too important just curious. A decent 37 can go for 500 to 800 (nicer ones, and vintage mind you). Nicer ones with the checkered stock and forend and scene on the receiver can be a bit more maybe 900ish (these would be top end vintage). Basic featherweight 12 Id say 550 600ish sight unseen (assuming it's in very good condition). If it has the deer barrel 750. Pics always help.
    Nice thing about the later 37's with the vent rib is they have a thicker barrel and can be threaded for interchangeable chokes. I threaded the one I turkey hunt with for invector Chokes, was originally a MOD barrel.
    I have a dominate left eye so I shoot long guns left handed. As much as I love my A5's shells kick across my face making the Ithaca one of my favorite all time shotguns and by far favorite pump.
    Last edited by SimonSorenKam; 04-25-2023 at 09:30 AM.
    Kinetic energy generates the velocity with which the bullet exits the barrel, While the ballistic coefficient and sectional density determines the damage to its targets. Guns don't kill people, physics does!

Boolit Grand Master

I would offer your friend $350.00 sight unseen. The market for 37's is varied and certain models can command a higher price. I just picked up a 20 gauge Lightweight NRA Fine for $350.00 and a 1963 16 Gauge in the same condition for $295.00.

Go to the auction websites like Gunbroker, Guns America to get a rough idea of what the range of like models are selling for.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    $300-$350 is about what a nice usable 37 sells for around my area.

Boolit Buddy
    Check on Guns International, the vendors there list the price they want for listed guns.
    It is not a auction site.

As high as $500 depending on condition & vintage . Many sold- https://www.horstauction.com/gun-auc...0-gun-auction/

I paid $350.00 for my M-37 Magnum, (1984 vin) it's still like new, 30'' Full choke VR barrel, I bought a 26'' VR and chokes from the factory, (cost as much as the gun did).

Make sure it's sr. num. is above 855,000 for interchangable barrels, 1963.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for the replies. He has it in his head that it's worth $1200, so I will pass until he comes to his senses. He did say it was checked and engraved with a pheasant and something else.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. He has it in his head that it's worth $1200, so I will pass until he comes to his senses. He did say it was checked and engraved with a pheasant and something else.
    Pheasant, the hunting dog on a rolling hill hunting scene. Typical to find on most of them. $1,200 is ridiculous. A supreme grade model 37' with fancy curly wood stock 1970 unfired (or darn close) sold for that just recently.
    Kinetic energy generates the velocity with which the bullet exits the barrel, While the ballistic coefficient and sectional density determines the damage to its targets. Guns don't kill people, physics does!

Boolit Master
    I bought a lightweight 37 in 20 gauge with a Polychoke that was made in the 1960’s but is practically new. It looks like someone got it to shoot birds then it went into a closet. Think I paid $350 in an estate sale. I like it for dove because it’s handy and the hulls land right in front of my feet.

Boolit Master

I would let HIM make the offer, not you, sir. If you try to lowball him, it'll just make the deal sour. If HE makes the deal, then its HIS fault and you save face.

Just food for thought,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Ithaca 37 problems.

$1200.00 This model has 3 thing that would keep me from buying another.

1. Drops the 2nd shell on the ground after firing. Working action to load 2nd shell.

2. The shell flies out of the magazine so hard, hits frame. Can set off a shell if there is a sensitive primer or high primer.

3. Some Reloads would stick in the magazine. The shells brass/steel part neededs extra sizing.