WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Chaparral Winchester 1876's any good

Boolit Bub

Are Chaparral Winchester 1876's any good

I have found a Chaparral Winchester 1876 for sale near me with the nicest-looking wood and finish I've ever seen on a reproduction 1876. It comes with a tang sight as well and is beautiful. I was considering buying it but then I've read online that Chaparral has quite a bad reputation but some people seem to have had good results with theirs.

I'm in the UK where they don't appear very often so was wondering if people think they're worth the money or if it's better to wait and spend more when a Uberti appears?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448665_-_photo_1_1656417687_img.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	313327

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had this one (chambered in 50/95) for about 11 years.

It’s been 100% reliable and I’ve never had an issue with it.

The trick to purchasing a “good” one is the serial number.

The higher the serial number the better quality the rifles were.

For reference mine is serial number 2100 (which I believe is near the end of the run).

I asked that very same question on the 76 Forum and was told under no uncertain terms that the serial number didn't mean squat. they are either good or they are not. The good ones, like ACT's, are very good. The bad are worse than bad. Throw enough $$ at it and they can be made good, or if your lucky enough to be a machinist.,. you get the point. The only real way to know if its a good on is to try it out. Good Luck. (Even Uberti's aren't perfect)

Boolit Master

The Chaparral 1876's are quite nice. When I had an FFL, I bought five rifles of various calibers. Had two in 45-75 WCF, and three in 45-60 WCF. At the time there were no 50's offered. But the guns were a little over $500 each. I had an original 1876 in 45-75 WCF that was stripped. All I had was an action and a decent barrel. I used all the parts from the Chaparral to complete the original gun as individual parts would have cost a fortune. Minimal fitting was required to fit up the Chararral parts onto the original Winchester 76'. I sold off the barrel and receiver. Kept one of the 45-60's as a shooter. Still have it. I like the 45-60 WCF because I did not want to shoot black powder. IMR 3031 works good with 300gr jacketed boolits and 350gr cast flat points with 4759. Have yet to bang Bambi with it. The Chaparral's are made quite close to the originals complete with flat springs like the originals. Was sooooo disappointed with the Uberti 1886 I bought last year out of a small gun shop. It was slightly used. The plastic stock finish was flaking off as moisture got under the plastic crap finish. I took it apart to use stripper to remove the bad varnish stock finish. Took a good look at this rifle. Was amazed that Uberti used coil springs!!!! They shoot ok but for me, the Chaparral is a better buy and made closer to the original Winchester 1876.
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 04-25-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Last edited by veeman; 04-24-2023 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 04-30-2023 at 07:40 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    sfwh, i have owned a Chappie 76' since 2016, bought it used, fixed a couple small things (no big deal), have shot 2000+ (cast) rounds thru her (why do we name'm ?). Mine is a 40-60, but i also built a salvaged 45-60 Chappie, a good friend had to have it, (he) my friend loves to shoot it, but if the price is right i'd buy another Chapparal. If you buy it (the one in the pic) and have problems, come back here we will help you iron it out.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    It’s UBERTI
    Is that a problem?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sfwh View Post
    I have found a Chaparral Winchester 1876 for sale near me with the nicest-looking wood and finish I've ever seen on a reproduction 1876. It comes with a tang sight as well and is beautiful. I was considering buying it but then I've read online that Chaparral has quite a bad reputation but some people seem to have had good results with theirs.

I'm in the UK where they don't appear very often so was wondering if people think they're worth the money or if it's better to wait and spend more when a Uberti appears?

check it out properly and shoot it - if the seller is honest they should let you do that
    If it works properly and shoots ok - problem solved
    I read that early ones had an applied fake grain finish over cheap wood? easy enough to check that out -
    some fellers here have had good ones, we read about a few horrible clunkers.
    A new Uberti is big money these days - what price this one in comparison?

Boolit Master

I have one in 45/60, shoots real good and accurate, after you find the sweet spot, some issues, broken parts that needed to be made.

Boolit Master

I have had a 45 75 for several years without any issues.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Well, you could probably get your money back out if you didn't like it. If the bore is good, most other things can be fixed.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks so much for the help everyone it sounds like there's no reason to assume it will have problems so I'll just try it out and hope for the best.

Indian Joe. It's UK pricing so may mean nothing to you but a new Uberti from the UK importer is £350 more than the one I'm looking at and that's for something with standard wood, no tang sight, no colour case hardening, no mould, no dies and no brass. The one I'm looking at has 20 Bertram brass, some bullets, a mould and some Lee dies.

Bought a Chappy RNWMP 1876 carbine in 45-60 years ago. Good looking rifle but some of my cut down 45-70 brass would allow the lever to close, some would over cam and some not allow the lever to close at all. The problem was in the thickness of the case rims, oal was fine. My gunsmith cas bud checked it out and found one set of toggles were off a little. Only using one set at a time one side would chamber everything while the other side was problematic. A few minutes of fitting the too long side and all of my brass works fine.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-25-2023 at 10:03 AM.

What caliber?

Boolit Master
    Thanks so much for the help everyone it sounds like there's no reason to assume it will have problems so I'll just try it out and hope for the best.

Indian Joe. It's UK pricing so may mean nothing to you but a new Uberti from the UK importer is £350 more than the one I'm looking at and that's for something with standard wood, no tang sight, no colour case hardening, no mould, no dies and no brass. The one I'm looking at has 20 Bertram brass, some bullets, a mould and some Lee dies.
    Unless I forgot my numbers 350 quid is a fair bit difference - my local shop would let me try that gun - but he gets the money first so he knows the deal is on unless there is a problem he is unaware of - you could make a couple of dummies in the shop and check that it functions properly - if it does and the bore is good I say go - -- maybe I been lucky but if the action works properly and the bore is decent I've yet to see a gun that wouldnt shoot (that remark will likely get a swag of comments to the contrary)

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I thought Chaparral was a USA importer, I wonder how the rifle ended up over there. Would Uberti or whoever be willing to service it if needed? The various importers here will only service the guns that they brought in under their own name.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I thought Chaparral was a USA importer, I wonder how the rifle ended up over there. Would Uberti or whoever be willing to service it if needed? The various importers here will only service the guns that they brought in under their own name.
    Uberti didn't have anything to do with those Chappys.
    Here's everything you'll want to know about Chapparal 76's.
    https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=89.0

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Uberti didn't have anything to do with those Chappys.
    Here's everything you'll want to know about Chapparal 76's.
    https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=89.0
    They made some good ones - the OP is looking at a second hand gun - its a matter of figuring out whether it is a good one or not.
    I bought a Uberti 76 new - had trigger pull issues but otherwise good
    A couple years later I bought a second hand '86 Chiappa - had a serious internal issue (wouldnt feed a loaded round from the magazine) ---it shot scary accurate and I figured I could fix the feed issue - so did the deal.

Boolit Grand Master

We have 3 Cappi's.
    The first is a 50-95 (serial 4xxx) 1876 model. Only issue was a "sloppy" loose rear ladder hinge. 12+ years with us.
    Then there is a 40-60 1876 we had had for 10+ years. No issues.
    Next is a 40-60 Monte. No issues.
    And if you think all Winchesters or Marlins left the Factory in perfect condition then I know some well watered land for sale in Florida.........
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.