Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Help with Hollywood Universal press parts

Boolit Mold

Help with Hollywood Universal press parts

Hello guys. New here but been cruising this site for a very long time. I have been reloading and casting since I was 7 (now 37). After a couple years of taking time off from reloading I am getting back into it. I recently bought a lot from an estate sale for what I thought was a decent price. 15 different Herters die sets and parts, Gun cleaning supplies a case of military bore cleaner cans and a hollywood universal 12 station turret press. The press is missing its priming tube assembly and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get one or what exactly I need for it. I want to set it up on my bench with my Herters turret press and my Lyman turret press. Thanks for any help and nice to meet you all.

Thanks, Simon M. L. Ecy.
    S.M.L.E.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230414_205411.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	313301 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230414_205040.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	313302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230414_205023.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	313303 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230414_205401.jpg 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	313304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230414_205014.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	313305
    Kinetic energy generates the velocity with which the bullet exits the barrel, While the ballistic coefficient and sectional density determines the damage to its targets. Guns don't kill people, physics does!

Boolit Mold
    I still haven't found anything yet but some pics. I'm wondering if I can take a Lee Ram Priming Unit turn down the threads on the priming stem holder and use it to fit my press? Or something to that effect.
    Last edited by SimonSorenKam; 04-25-2023 at 04:46 PM.
    Kinetic energy generates the velocity with which the bullet exits the barrel, While the ballistic coefficient and sectional density determines the damage to its targets. Guns don't kill people, physics does!

I have the 3 hole version of that press with the priming post. There is nothing automatic about the priming operation with the Hollywood system. Each primer has to be loaded by hand before seating. Its easier to prime using an RCBS Hand Priming Tool.

Boolit Mold
    So just get a stand alone priming press? I can do that if need be, I was hoping to avoid more usage of my reloading bench. With the new hollywood, my herters 6 station turret and my lyman 6 station t-mag 6 station turret and herters powder measure, I am going to start losing real estate I may need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSorenKam View Post
    So just get a stand alone priming press? I can do that if need be, I was hoping to avoid more usage of my reloading bench. With the new hollywood, my herters 6 station turret and my lyman 6 station t-mag 6 station turret and herters powder measure, I am going to start losing real estate I may need.
    I use the bench mounted RCBS priming press (tube version) mounted on a scrap piece of 2x6, C-clamped to the bench. My bench is only 6 foot long. I have a Star & RCBS LAM sizer, Hollywood Senior (eight station turret), RCBS JR press, Lyman Orange crusher and a 4" bench vise that are all permanently mounted.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    There should be two spring loaded stakes on that swiveling base beneath the shell holder platform. Earlier Hollywoods had four, for Large and Small and for Flat or Rounded primers, but the Rounded primer stakes have mostly disappeared, along with the primers themselves.

The primer magazines were two tubes with followers and springs in what look like 7/8'x14 tpi loading dies that took up two of the stations on the turret. There used to be a guy on here who bought all the extra parts and stuff from Hollywood when they went out of business. Can't remember his name now, but maybe a search would find him and he might have a few sets.

Name:	Hollywood Primer 1.jpg 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	313399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollywood Primer A.jpg 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	313400

Pics of the parts and how the setup looks on the press.

Unless you're a collector, or you "just gotta have it!" there are, as other posters have mentioned, a lot easier and more convenient ways to prime shells.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    There should be two spring loaded stakes on that swiveling base beneath the shell holder platform. Earlier Hollywoods had four, for Large and Small and for Flat or Rounded primers, but the Rounded primer stakes have mostly disappeared, along with the primers themselves.

The primer magazines were two tubes with followers and springs in what look like 7/8'x14 tpi loading dies that took up two of the stations on the turret. There used to be a guy on here who bought all the extra parts and stuff from Hollywood when they went out of business. Can't remember his name now, but maybe a search would find him and he might have a few sets.

Name:	Hollywood Primer 1.jpg 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	313399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollywood Primer A.jpg 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	313400

Pics of the parts and how the setup looks on the press.

Unless you're a collector, or you "just gotta have it!" there are, as other posters have mentioned, a lot easier and more convenient ways to prime shells.

Well my OCD is gonna want a complete press. For the moment I guess I can get a bench primer. So the RCBS is the best I take it? I assume it will take all shell holders save for my Herters dies I assume.

Boolit Master

Don't bother w/ a bench primer. Get a Lee or Lyman Autoprime. They are inexpensive and fast.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Mold
    I haven't heard anything about Lyman's, but I have heard nay saying about the Lee Autoprime hanging up, not working and being plastic that wasn't very good.

Boolit Master
    Those hand primers, depend on uniform hand strength to fully seat the primers. As we age, we lose it. Bench priming guarantees fully seated primers. Yep, I used and liked the old style Lee hand priming tool. New one is a piece of junk. Have both the RCBS Universal and the other on that accepts specific shell holders...............there collecting dust, since I went with the RCBS bench priming system.

BTW, I plugged the single threaded hole, on my Hollywood Senior, that accepts the priming post with a set screw and a brass nut. PITA to load primers singularly, as well as, changing the post every time you need to switch primer sizes.

Name:	P1030360.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	313409

Winelover

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Winelover. I have heard the old school Lee's were great, but I have heard the new ones were plastic and junky, hence why I didn't just go get one. I like the RCBS bench primer too, it wont take Herters shell holders I assume? I have some herters dies I use with my herters press (just take off my shell holder adapter).

Boolit Mold
    I bought an RCBS automatic bench primer NOS today. It a RCBS 9460. It was sitting a while in the box and has very light surface rust on the handle but both tubes and pins and paperwork is there. It was 70 bucks, I figure much better than tracking down hollywood parts and should fit all my shell holders except my herters dies but that doesn't matter because my herter turret press has a priming rod. Only thing really left to get is a primer swaging tool and my setup will be complete, just need to dig everything out.

It's not bad.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Mold
    I like his RCBS modification to that. Looks like it works wonders.

Here is a better demo if it.

These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.