RotoMetals2Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flintlock mythbusters

Boolit Master
    waksupi, the black powder site that you listed could not be found.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    waksupi, the black powder site that you listed could not be found.

Things come and go on the net. Try a search, you may find it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Maven
    Thanks for posting this - the touch hole experiment particularly interesting. The separation of priming charge and main charge by an airgap and asking for ignition to flash from one to the other has never made any sense to me - quite the opposite - I always treated it as one charge as much as was possible - coned touch hole liner to bring the main charge as close to the pan as we could and banked the priming against the touch hole - never used a vent stopper - I see guys loading with a stopper in the vent - and I just go - why do that??? - have had plenty of comments as to how fast my flinter fires "thing goes off like a caplock" but mostly they lose interest as soon as they see the little Dikar lock I am shooting - too cheap = cant be any good - I guess is the thinking.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Maven
    Thanks for posting this - the touch hole experiment particularly interesting. The separation of priming charge and main charge by an airgap and asking for ignition to flash from one to the other has never made any sense to me - quite the opposite - I always treated it as one charge as much as was possible - coned touch hole liner to bring the main charge as close to the pan as we could and banked the priming against the touch hole - never used a vent stopper - I see guys loading with a stopper in the vent - and I just go - why do that??? - have had plenty of comments as to how fast my flinter fires "thing goes off like a caplock" but mostly they lose interest as soon as they see the little Dikar lock I am shooting - too cheap = cant be any good - I guess is the thinking.
    For those who leave a vent pick in while loading, if they will just give the gun a couple light slaps, or bounce it lightly on the ground a couple times to settle the powder properly, that is unnecessary, and gets the powder as close to the vent as is possible. THEN seat your patched ball. Same holds true for percussion and flint.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234