Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .32 acp ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    That 3 Gr. of Red Dot, and a 98 Gr. bullet sounds like a 380 load. I'd be interested in knowing what book you saw your load in.

Red dot is indeed one of the common powders for this little cartridge, but I find no published loads with more than 2.7 grains, and that is with much lighter bullets. Not tryin to be an old woman, but I'd hate to see ya break your pistol or hurt yourself. jd
    That is precisely what I thought when I read the load - it sounded more like my 380 loads than a 32acp load... I don't shoot 32acp, but definitely sounds pretty hot to me.

As to the OP's question, I can't comment. As mentioned, I don't shoot 32acp.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Thanks for the warning on not to use in the Beretta Tomcat or Keltec.
    Bullet of choice for Keltec and Beretta Tomcat is Accurate 31-077B with 2 grains of Red Dot or TiteGroup, 2.3 of Bullseye, 3 grains Unique or Autocomp at min OAL 0.955" for 830 fps from 2.4" barrel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have loaded .32 ACP for years. Safe loads with 75-83 grain cast bullets are 2 grains of Bullseye.or TiteGroup., 2.5 grains of 231 or HP38. Minimum ctg. OAL 0.955".

With 84-93-grain bullets 2.5 grains of Unique or 3 grains AutoComp. Minimum ctg. OAL 0.955". Full charges not to be exceeded.

Do not shoot bullets heavier than 80 grains at over 850 fps in Beretta Tomcat or Keltec, as they are "frame crackers."
    Uh.. Negative ghost rider... My keltec p32 has digested untold amounts of 85gr lead. It's still my every day carry exercise gun with an extended magazine. I wear it in a belly band holster. Again.. It's digested many....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Uh.. Negative ghost rider... My keltec p32 has digested untold amounts of 85gr lead. It's still my every day carry exercise gun with an extended magazine. I wear it in a belly band holster. Again.. It's digested many....
    I agree with you. I've even shot 100 grains bullets from my Walther PP. I even had hunted groundhogs with it using the 84 grain bullets and yes I did get some. I've been shooting the 32acp since the late seventies. It's a very under rated cartridge and it sure isn't no peek squeek. I'd pick it any day over a 380. It also penetrated the human body better then the 380.

Boolit Master

I'm a big 32 cal fan. 32acp, HR mag, 30 super carry, 327 federal mag.

Boolit Master
    I'D darned sure back off of 3.0/RedDot/98 gr., especially if shooting it in a blow-back pistol. I don't know if there are any locked-breech .32 A.C.P.s on the planet, but they're not unknown in .380 A.C.P.
    In any case, I'D back off that load by at least 10%, and probably more like 20%.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    While the 1903 can digest some stout loads, I wouldn't venture into a steady diet of what the OP has posted. On the other hand, my trusty P32 let go after years of 2.2 gr W231 under 78 gr RN. I paid for shipping and Kel Tec covered the rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2144a.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	313330

Name:	2147a.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	313331

Name:	new upper assmbly.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	313332

Boolit Master

I love the .32 acp. I load 2 different cast bullets. One is the Lyman 85 gr RN, and a 4 banger FN 75 gr from NOE. I have around 7-8 .32 pistols I shoot regularly. Most recently a CZ Skorpion. Talk about a fun little plinker with a 20 rd magazine! All around favorite is a Beretta Model 81 Euro police trade in. Thing just plain runs.

Banned
    My all time favorite when you get down to that diameter of bullet is the 30 Luger. Lot more vigorous then the 32 acp, but fun!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blue32 View Post
    While the 1903 can digest some stout loads, I wouldn't venture into a steady diet of what the OP has posted. On the other hand, my trusty P32 let go after years of 2.2 gr W231 under 78 gr RN. I paid for shipping and Kel Tec covered the rest.

Name:	2144a.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	313330

Name:	2147a.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	313331

Name:	new upper assmbly.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	313332
    Every company pops a lemon out now and then..a gun that breaks digesting what is essentially a full power commercial load is just that..

Boolit Master

Ps... All that said... 85gr would be my limit..imho..
    And 2.1-2.3 of w231 is the load range for 71gr... At 78gr you were about 9.86% heavier.. And I suspect. Your max load should have been closer to 2.1 and starting at 1.9... Just mho
    Last edited by Soundguy; 04-25-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is good to have choices. It is not good to push a cartridge to unsafe levels because you made a poor choice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Ps... All that said... 85gr would be my limit..imho..
    And 2.1-2.3 of w231 is the load range for 71gr... At 78gr you were about 9.86% heavier.. And I suspect. Your max load should have been closer to 2.1 and starting at 1.9... Just mho
    4% heavier than Lyman's data for a 75 gr cast with a max of 2.5 gr W231.
    2.1 gr will not reliably cycle the action.

Boolit Grand Master
    Warren5421, You do understand that you are now eligible to be a member of the 32 Retinue. Welcome to the madness!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I've been collecting and shooting pistols and revolvers since 1965 of the .312 bore. The 7.65 Browning is a great cartridge.
    Pushing it faster than factory loads can be very hard on the pistols. Years ago I started to "Hot Rod" the little cartridge to 1,000 FPS and cracked the breech end of a collectable pistol barrel and had a very hard time finding the expensive replacement barrel. A lesson learned the hard way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I agree with you. I've even shot 100 grains bullets from my Walther PP. I even had hunted groundhogs with it using the 84 grain bullets and yes I did get some. I've been shooting the 32acp since the late seventies. It's a very under rated cartridge and it sure isn't no peek squeek. I'd pick it any day over a 380. It also penetrated the human body better then the 380.
    It is also used in some european made target pistols.
    Pardini HP, Cal. 32 ACP, 5" Barrel for NRA Bullseye. There is someone in our bullseye group that shoots one. It will set you back only $2,899.00. https://www.pardiniguns.com/store/pr...roducts_id=872

Boolit Master
    There is not a whole lot to be gained by hot rodding the .32 ACP for self defense. To kill or disable on the spot it will require a hit to something vital. The most important thing is penetration so it can go through a skull, penetrate the spine, or heart. I would make sure that the ammo I used was loaded to full factory spec. Some of it is underloaded. Such guns are sometimes called face pistols because you point them up close at someone's face.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blue32 View Post
    4% heavier than Lyman's data for a 75 gr cast with a max of 2.5 gr W231.
    2.1 gr will not reliably cycle the action.
    Depends on the gun.. depends on relative powder speed. On these loads that are basically .3g splits from min to max.. I've found that mid level or the high level will cycle my P32 Keltec. I tend to use faster powders that w231 though.. Like aA#2 which is a hair faster.. and tightgroup which is plenty faster.

On lighter bullets like 71gr.. I'm for sure using tightgroup. On heavier.. it's an AA powder.. 2 or 5.. usually 5.. and that IS slower than w231.

I'll have to look at what I used specifically on my last run of 32acp. I also load with alliant powders some.. so might be a dot powder in there too.. or unique, bullseye or herco.. all depends. I'll have to look to see what I used. I'll try to remember to post back and update the thread.

Boolit Grand Master
    Barnetmill,
    For many years the Euro CF target round of choice was their equivalent to the 32 S&W Long with flush seated lead wadcutter bullet. In recent years, the 32 ACP has been rapidly gaining in popularity and works so well that some Target gunsmiths are making big money when they take their customers’ already expensive 32 S&W L target guns and convert them to 32 ACP. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me that the latter would be superior in any way, but apparently they are. Go figure!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Barnetmill,
    For many years the Euro CF target round of choice was their equivalent to the 32 S&W Long with flush seated lead wadcutter bullet. In recent years, the 32 ACP has been rapidly gaining in popularity and works so well that some Target gunsmiths are making big money when they take their customers’ already expensive 32 S&W L target guns and convert them to 32 ACP. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me that the latter would be superior in any way, but apparently they are. Go figure!
    Froggie
    The .32 ACP is semi-rimmed that might help with the conversion. I have often wondered how a gun built on the frame of a .22 plinker in .32 acp or .380 would be to shoot. Problem of course would be the cost of the ammunition vs that of .22 rim fire.
    But, I would think a quality target pistol would need quality ammo and most .32 ACP is not loaded to target grade spec.
    For light loads, reduced powder capacity will give in theory more consistent ignition and might be more accurate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast