Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everybody wants photos it seems .............

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Everybody wants photos it seems .............

I'm getting old and have been disposing of my "stuff" . When I started this project , I would describe sale items in a condition that was perhaps not as good as the item actually was . People would post "I'll take it" , they'd send a postal money order or a little cash . They'd get the item and were really happy with it .

Now it's a little different , perhaps technology is so easy for many and of course who doesn't like to see a nice picture . But ....... more and more buyers want to see a picture and don't trust anybody ..... let alone old codgers like me . I can understand that I would like to see stuff too ... but I still know that technology can be a real pain for some . Because I'm one of those that it's a pain !!

My avatar , I think it's still over there by my name is a picture of a rifle I built up from parts a long time ago . How long ago ? ....."so long ago , ice was a mile thick in Michigan" No really it was back when Photobucket was FREE . It was still a pain to get pictures there , for me anyway . No digital camera and I'd have to use a real photo from a real camera and scan it in and ....... I forget the rest of it .

That's part of the problem I never did post that much because it was , and still is a hassle . Now that brings me around to something you might be able to help with . Now I have a little digital camera , not sure if I still have the cable to hook to the computer though Problem is a FREE photo hosting site that is old-forgetfull-codger friendly . I can turn the computer on , send a PM and even make a post but beyond that I need help .

Any ideas for a FREE photo hosting site ?

Thanks for reading the rant , Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Jack send me a PM and I'll gladly host any pictures you want.

But if you are just seeking an answer, I use https://www.flickr.com/.

I post a few pictures, but on S&S, I usually don't.

Pictures will post here.
    When making a post, go down to 'advanced', then go down from there to 'manage attachments'
    Click that and it'll tell you how to take images off your computer (I put them on desktop)
    And upload from there.

When I sold some dies, or .338WBY brass I just listed it as 'it looks like polished once fired .338Wby brass' or
    'It looks like a RCBS .300 Savage die set'.

I've been thinning out the herd too.
    I don't go too far out of my way for those whose entire posting history is 'I'll take it', a S&S listing, or 'bump'.
    There are so many on S&S who otherwise contribute exactly nothing to the site or discussions--
    Most of what I'm thinning out, I just give it away to regular contributing members.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I use postimages.org

I’m finding that the more I use technology, the less I like it. I have an iPad and phone and if I need more I’ll do without. Hang in there, people are helpful.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    You don't have to use an on-line image service. Transfer the image from your camera to your computer then find the forum of choice. During your comment hit the image button (third button from the right at the top of the comment pane) and one of the options is to download a photo. Click that and it will prompt to browse. Find the file that your desired photo is in, click on it, then press download.

That's pretty much it. Your photo should show as a link within the comment and once you post the comment the photo will appear.

Do you have the skill to text someone a picture? If so, text it to me or someone else here, and we could post it here for you in a thread referenced by your name. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes I can post a picture directly from my computer, but for some reason at other times it will not upload. I use Imgur to host photos for this and other sites.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    In some cases the image file is too large for this site and needs to be resized. A good free photo imaging software is IrFanview. It will facilitate resizing images.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I use postimages.org
    Me too. I’ve tried a few and this one worked the best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    It’s nothing personal but you have to understand it seems like the way people are today I won’t buy anything without having a picture of it unless I know the person. If I had a dollar for every time somebody posted something for sale here and elsewhere that when I actually looked at the item was nowhere near what was described! (I would say the majority of the items I have purchased used have been from a local site that allows me the opportunity to meet someone and actually see the item before I purchase it). Before I purchase something from somebody that’s gonna be mailed to me I check out their profile I ask other people that might have had dealings with this person. In short I do my research I’ve been burned too many times. I even had someone ship something to the wrong address! I had proof that he sent it to the wrong address! I had my text that I sent to him and he texted me back the address he sent it to, unfortunately he had already shipped the item. When I requested a refund he refused telling me that I should just wait it’ll probably show up sooner or later! Fortunately I had used PayPal and I had to go as far as lodging a complaint to get a refund for an item that was shipped to the wrong address and I never received! Once again this is no reflection on you but I don’t trust anybody I don’t know anymore.

Now as for how to post photos. I do it through my smart phone I don’t use a web photo hosting site. It is relatively easy to do, you don’t have to be some carnet Nettwerk administrator. It can be accomplished with very little guidance from someone that’s done it before. The biggest mistake everyone makes is to not downsize the photo! If the photo is too large it will not go through! If you would like me to try and assist you send me a PM and we can set up the time when neither one of us is in the middle of doing something else. Hope this was useful.
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

I remember taking pictures , with a small camera and someway putting them on my computer ... then load from that file right onto CastBoolits ... No host or hosting site was required ... just your computer and a camera .
    But that camera broke and we got a new computer and everything changed ...
    As soon as I learn how to do something ... it changes ... and I can't do it anymore ...
    I hate that !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I remember taking pictures , with a small camera and someway putting them on my computer ... then load from that file right onto CastBoolits ... No host or hosting site was required ... just your computer and a camera .
    But that camera broke and we got a new computer and everything changed ...
    As soon as I learn how to do something ... it changes ... and I can't do it anymore ...
    I hate that !
    Gary
    Maybe this can help someone

First click here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	313208

Then click here

Name:	step2.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	313209

Then you just find where your picture is saved on your PC. I find it easier to keep them on my desktop. You can delete them once you are done using (uploading) them. Double click on your picture or single click and then click open.

Name:	step3.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	313210

Then click here

Name:	step4.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	313211

When done correctly your picture will appear as this in your post. If you see it just click Reply and it will show up.

Name:	step5.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	313213

Anyone that doesn't know how to do it go ahead and try my steps there. If you run into an issue, post it and I'll walk you through the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail5.jpg  

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Thanks guys and yes I really am that helpless on the computer Stopsign what you posted just now should be a big help showing the right buttons to click on .

I think first I'll need to search in this computer and see if I have pictures stored from the last computer . The old one was a Dell and this one is an Apple .

Poppy42 , I understand where you're coming from and don't want to get burned . I invite anyone to ask about me , None of them have told me I did wrong . So maybe my strategy of description has worked . What is maddening is some of the stuff I have I set on the table at the gun show . So many guys like what is there and say things like "that's a great price, I'm sure you'll get it " ...... just before they walk away . Anyone who's tried to clear out good stuff they have at a gun show knows what I mean .

It sounds like what I've learned here today is that at least for this sight I don't need a "photo hosting sight" ??

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

A quick and easy way for pictures are to use your phone and email yourself the pictures. Then go on your computer, go to your email, then save them to your desktop.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Thanks guys and yes I really am that helpless on the computer Stopsign what you posted just now should be a big help showing the right buttons to click on .

I think first I'll need to search in this computer and see if I have pictures stored from the last computer . The old one was a Dell and this one is an Apple .

Poppy42 , I understand where you're coming from and don't want to get burned . I invite anyone to ask about me , None of them have told me I did wrong . So maybe my strategy of description has worked . What is maddening is some of the stuff I have I set on the table at the gun show . So many guys like what is there and say things like "that's a great price, I'm sure you'll get it " ...... just before they walk away . Anyone who's tried to clear out good stuff they have at a gun show knows what I mean .

It sounds like what I've learned here today is that at least for this sight I don't need a "photo hosting sight" ??

Jack
    That would be correct.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are not alone. This site has also been somewhat of a challenge for me.

After selling a couple of guns, I decided to sell the rest elsewhere. Guns need too many good quality pictures.

I cannot believe folks want pictures of bullets, molds, scopes etc etc from regular members who have been here for years. If I were to get a request like that I would ignore it.
    Don Verna

A lot of us here are old timers also, Jack, and can understand the problem(s). A lot of these same guys are offering to help you, so take a couple of them up on it. You know the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I'm getting old and have been disposing of my "stuff" . When I started this project , I would describe sale items in a condition that was perhaps not as good as the item actually was . People would post "I'll take it" , they'd send a postal money order or a little cash . They'd get the item and were really happy with it .

Now it's a little different , perhaps technology is so easy for many and of course who doesn't like to see a nice picture . But ....... more and more buyers want to see a picture and don't trust anybody ..... let alone old codgers like me . I can understand that I would like to see stuff too ... but I still know that technology can be a real pain for some . Because I'm one of those that it's a pain !!

My avatar , I think it's still over there by my name is a picture of a rifle I built up from parts a long time ago . How long ago ? ....."so long ago , ice was a mile thick in Michigan" No really it was back when Photobucket was FREE . It was still a pain to get pictures there , for me anyway . No digital camera and I'd have to use a real photo from a real camera and scan it in and ....... I forget the rest of it .

That's part of the problem I never did post that much because it was , and still is a hassle . Now that brings me around to something you might be able to help with . Now I have a little digital camera , not sure if I still have the cable to hook to the computer though Problem is a FREE photo hosting site that is old-forgetfull-codger friendly . I can turn the computer on , send a PM and even make a post but beyond that I need help .

Any ideas for a FREE photo hosting site ?

Thanks for reading the rant , Jack
    You don't need any host site to put pics in a post.
    You can upload them directly from your computer.
    The process can be explained in less words than your Original Post.

Where most have trouble is when they get the "file is too big" message when trying to upload a pic and don't know how to edit a photo and make it smaller.
    You mention having a digital camera and hopefully you have mastered getting the pics off your camera and into the File Explorer on your 'puter.
    Digital Cameras take high resolution pictures that are too large of files to upload into a post and must be resized smaller.

Making That Pic File SMALLER
    Find the pic in File Explorer (on your 'puter), you should have the view set to Larger Icons so the pic file appears as a miniature pic.
    Get the cursor over that little pic file and RIGHT click the mouse.
    A menu will appear and left click on the word "edit".
    The pic will open in "Paint" and you will able to "resize" it. (it'll be BIG!)
    Click the "Home" tab in Paint (near the top left).
    Under that "View" tab is a box icon labeled "resize" (click it).
    A window will open that has a box labeled Horizontal: with the number 100 (that means 100% size).
    Click in that box, back space to erase the 100 and type-in "20".
    This will also change the vertical: box to "20".
    Hit enter or click the "OK" button to resize the pic to 20%, save it and close it.

Note: Cameras today have a lot of storage space so I don't cut/paste the folder off the camera, but COPY/Paste into File Explorer, and leave the originals in the camera storage.

Learning to use the right click and drop down menu will change your world.

Others have posted how to upload pics but what I have described will make the pics small enough to add as images rather than thumbnails.

Edit: WoW, OK, just read where you have an Apple...
    Sooooo, nevermind.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 04-23-2023 at 01:01 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    A quick and easy way for pictures are to use your phone and email yourself the pictures. Then go on your computer, go to your email, then save them to your desktop.
    Yep,
    I keep an email I sent to myself in my inbox.
    To get a pic off my phone, I just "reply" to that email on my phone and attach (phone) pics to it, then send it.
    I then open that email in my 'puter and download the phone pics...done.
    I can even just save it (pics attached) as a draft (on my phone) then access it on my 'puter.
    whew,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast