RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: statins

Boolit Master
    I talked to my pharmacist late yesterday, and he told me that the bad side effects of statins are very, very common. He told me that you have to keep pestering your DR until they make changes. Last night, I skipped the statins, and 95% of the symptoms are gone today.

I use Simvastation, 40mg a day. It's brought down my cholesterol and is keeping it down. Been taking it for about 12 years now and no side effects.

I tried the red yeast rice, diet, exercise, etc. etc. and nothing else worked. The Simvastatin did the trick.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

been on Simvastatin since 1993, at 30mg till about 6 years ago when dosage was reduced to 20mg - no adverse affects at all - but do get blood tests every 3 months to check for any changes in systems -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    I have been taking Zocor (simvastatin) for about 10 years with no problems.
    I take this also. They started me on 40mg, but after a couple of years i started thinking I had lymes dease. After finding on the internet that statins can do this, I got them to cut the dose in 1/2. Cholesterol is still good. And joint pain went away.
    Last edited by compass will; 04-20-2023 at 07:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    That is how I realized that my statins were the cause of my pain! I went on vacation and forgot my meds, and about half way through, I realized my elbows weren't hurting any more! Prior to then, I had been dealing with tennis elbow to the point of debilitation. I haven't taken a statin since.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Moderator Emeritus

I get the severe lower back and joint pains from statins, no matter the brand. Couple that with an actual screwed up back and the pain was ridiculous. My cholesterol is actually not that terrible now as they don't pester me about it. What i think helped was taking the daily fruit/vegetable pills as seen on TV. I take the Costco Kirkland ones which are WAY cheaper than the Balance of Nature pills. One unexpected benefit was the drop in my blood pressure from borderline high to basically normal (was always high due to pain and high blood pressure runs in the family). My NP says probably the beets is what is bringing it down. I do feel better since taking them as I know I don't eat right.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    I take a statin generic. Crestor they had me on. Simistation bad leg pain so far-the Crestor is ok. My heart dr. Is a picky dude drives me crazy but my GP is great and he is also a shooter so when I go to him it takes a hour ten minutes for the check up and 50 to talk guns.
    Frank G.

One red yeast rice a day is working for me. It's a natural statin.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't touch a statin unless forced at gun point! Do some research, carbs and vegetable seed oil are the real heart killers!

Have been on 20 mg Pravastatin for 3 years now and have no problems/side effects with it.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Lisinopril?

DG
    Lisinopril - This is for high blood pressure ... I take 1 - Lisinopril ea. day for high blood pressure ... no side effects .
    It's not a "statin" type drug . Statins are usually used to treat high cholesterol .

I take 1 - Rosuvastatin a day for high cholesterol - with no side effects .
    Rosuva "statin" ...has "statin" in the name ...dead giveaway .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    my doctor prescribed one for me. I guess it's a very common one, genetic was $90 at Walgreens, the same prescription online from cost plus drugs, $3.60. thats 1000 primers at todays prices or 2 pounds of varget.
    unfortunately I dont think prescription drugs are returnable from Walgreens. I sure do feel ripped off.
    https://costplusdrugs.com

Boolit Buddy
    some people who have bad exoeriences with statins switch to niacin (Vitamin B3) which also causes good chloresterol and consume the bad. Have to use the full flush niacin.

Boolit Master
    I dont like taking any medicines. ive yet to take one of these pills the doctor prescribed, dont need my left hip or leg or any joints to cramp up.
    I like the idea of red yeast rice. I'll cut out the ice cream and half and half and butter. the problem came from diet and it's got to be able to be fixed with diet.
    although I cant imagine red beans and rice without smoked sausage in it.

Boolit Master
    According to several cardiologists, LDL (bad cholesterol) is hereditary. Triglycerides are controllable with diet and exercise. They have me on statins for the LDL. I had a heart attack in December (98% blocked - The Widow Maker). They put in a stent and now I gotta keep it from clogging up.
    Go back a few years - I had a "vaccine" that caused my ears to ring (they still do) and my heart became enlarged. Eventually I developed a blockage. Never had a heart problem before.

Boolit Master

A vaccine for what shall remain un-named on this forum perhaps?

Boolit Master
    About 4 years ago, I had a coronary artery calcium test & a little blockage was noted. My bad cholesterol was between good and bad, but my good cholesterol has always be lower than desired. I had previously tried diet changes, fish oil & some other stuff in futile attempts to improve my cholesterol numbers. With the identified blockage and having previously ruled out some other choices, the Doc put me on Atorvastatin. He started me on 80 mg where normal doses go from 10 to 80.

Next year, my cholesterol tests came back great. At the time we were happy.

About 10 months later I was doing some reading and came across something about statin side effects. I put 2 & 2 together and realized that some of my pain issues (It hurt going up and down stairs at times and it hurt to stretch my hands out flat) might be side effects instead of just "getting old" (what I had attributed them to).

At my next annual exam, I talked to my Doc & he lowered the dose to 40 mg. Some of my symptoms went away entirely and others got a lot better. After a year at 40 mg, cholesterol was still good.

After the year at 40 mg, I talked to my doc about trying 20 mg. He agreed that it was a reasonable idea. We came up with a plan. Early next month I am due for my annual labs. Six weeks ago, I started cutting my pills in half. If cholesterol is still good, I will drop down to 20 mg as a standard dose for now. If cholesterol is worse at 20 than 40, it will be back to 40. If 20 is good, I might try dropping to 10 mg in 10 months.

It amazes me that the Doc did not even discuss dosage choices and options at the beginning.
    Last edited by P Flados; 04-24-2023 at 10:16 PM.

I had a physical, and blood work. Cholesterol was 288 total. Doc wanted to write me a scrip for a statin, I said let's hold off for awhile.

I was told by several folks to eat oatmeal every morning, and did. After one month, had another blood work, and my number was down to 166. Eighty points off of the LDL. (bad)..

I'm gonna get another blood work pretty soon to check it again, but so far it looks like the Oatmeal was a miracle, at least for me. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I don't like oatmeal, but I decided to get off statins (cholesterol was in high 200's w/o them) and began to put soluable fiber powder in my coffee every morning (has NO taste). My numbers stayed where they were with statins which was around 200 total with 80+ of it "good". I dropped the fiber for a while and cholesterol went right back up. Got back on it, cholesterol went back down. Been down for 5 or 6 years. The fiber in oatmeal is the "active" ingredient

Boolit Master
    I also take Generic Lipitor at 80mg /day. It lowered my 'bad' cholesterol in the 140-150 without side effects.
    I was told I needed cholesterol meds back in the 80’s but I figured I could eat better and get it lowered myself.
    So getting 3 stents and still have 3 smaller blockages, and taking meds now,
    I pretty much eat what I want but in moderation.

I wished I listened in the 80’s

Mike