MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: .36 Molds

.36 Molds

Starting to think about a rifle to use nominally .36 caliber molds, like you'd use in .38 Specials, .35 Remingtons and .358 Winchesters. There are lots of molds available. It's a nice diameter for a one inch across the flats barrel. And besides, I've got all these molds that could be used!

Anyone here shooting a .36 with maybe a Lee, Lyman or RCBS 200 grainer? Or maybe 250 or 280 grains?

It would need a pretty fast twist for the heavier ones, and the rifling would need to engrave those on the way down, unless you used some form of, I hate to say the word...sabo..t...., in which case, you would need a larger bore to incorporate it, or maybe if they were made into a hollow-base minie', and then there would be fear of driving them too fast and flaring the skirt. Lots of things to ponder with all of that, and if it was feasible, many would already be doing it.

I'll be sure and tell my other fast twist muzzleloaders that they aren't feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I'll be sure and tell my other fast twist muzzleloaders that they aren't feasible.
    In no way was it my intention to offend them, and if I have done so, then I truly apologize. Perhaps if you could explain how this works, as I am honestly very curious to know.

With sufficient bullet weight and sufficient force from behind the bullets expand into the rifling.

Boolit Master
    My ML bullets are all slip fit in the bore. Add powder, card wad, lubed felt wad. Bullet is placed in bore and the weight of the rod is enough to seat the bullet. Yes, if you tip the muzzle down and tap on the rifle the bullet may move away from the charge.

The bullet is made of soft alloy, 1-40 or so, although in some cases 1-20 might work (with a big enough charge). The heavy charges used (80-100gn) and heavy bullets (~400gn or more) combine to make this work. The force of the chamber pressure against a heavy projectile is enough to force the bullet to expand. When it does so, the bullet seals the bore and engages the rifling.

The bullet can be grooved and lubed or paper patched.

These are used in some very accurate ML rifles.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Starting to think about a rifle to use nominally .36 caliber molds, like you'd use in .38 Specials, .35 Remingtons and .358 Winchesters. There are lots of molds available. It's a nice diameter for a one inch across the flats barrel. And besides, I've got all these molds that could be used!

Anyone here shooting a .36 with maybe a Lee, Lyman or RCBS 200 grainer? Or maybe 250 or 280 grains?
    Who makes a .358 barrel?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Who makes a .358 barrel?

Kevin
    No one I’m aware of. But you would think someone would. There are a lot of .358 choices out there. Would be fun to have a barrel to run them through.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the idea. I have a ton of ".358's" and their use in a ML would be fun. It would have to be a drop in for a T/C kind of deal for me. To contemplate a new ML is off my budget.

I have a spare lefthand TC New Englander barrel and a lefthand Lyman GPH. Either might work.

Boolit Master
    I think that if you have a barrel in bad shape.
    You can probably have it Re Lined down to .358 by Hoyt.
    That might be cheaper and faster than trying to find a .358 barrel.
    Especially a new one.