Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Had an idea today - new invention.

Had an idea today - new invention.

For some reason I had an idea pop into mind today.

The idea is to make an auto powder dispenser that dumps direct into the case. Think of combining the RCBS chargemaster and a shell holder.

set your charge weight, plop in a primed case, pull out a charged case.

instead of a plate for the scale, you'd have a shell holder. After initial setup and calibration - An auto tare function when cases were swapped out would negate case to case variation. You'd need some form of powder funnel that the dispenser dumps into as well, and a way to adjust the height to account for different case lengths. maybe ultrasonic for the funnel as well to solve any possible bridging - but that might not even be an issue depending on the speed of the dispenser.

could perhaps speed up the process of metering those troublesome stick powders.

Thoughts? I think it would sell.

I've got a chargemaster, and while it's not a terrible deal to transfer powder and moving the funnel around the loading block - but why not combine them.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure I understand what your talking about. If I want to use a powder dispenser off a press as in charging cases in a case holder block, I just leave the cases in the case block and move the cases in the block under the dispenser and throw the handle. One could use the lee powder dispenser that works by pushing the case up in the dispenser to activate it. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you are after.

Sounds like a great idea. Sometimes the tare weight is limited for certain scales. I would like to see what you come up with. Keep us posted!!
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds feasible, although this is more or less what the Prometheus does, dumps a weighed charge directly into the case.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what your talking about. If I want to use a powder dispenser off a press as in charging cases in a case holder block, I just leave the cases in the case block and move the cases in the block under the dispenser and throw the handle. One could use the lee powder dispenser that works by pushing the case up in the dispenser to activate it. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you are after.
    lots of powders like the stick powders don't meter well out of a powder drop. charge weights can be all over the place low and high. to combat this, you often have to use a manual trickler to get that last few 10th's accurate.

thus companies like RCBS developed an auto powder dispenser that combined a scale and a powder thrower which gives you a very exact charge weight for those difficult powders without the constant manual input. Those units however also still require you to manually move the powder from the scale to the case and so forth. my idea was to get trickler level accuracy while retaining the straight powder drop into case convenience of a thrower friendly powder.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Sounds feasible, although this is more or less what the Prometheus does, dumps a weighed charge directly into the case.
    Figures, if I could think of it - someone had already done it. But I bet it could be done cheaper. Prometheus looks to be on a scale of precision that is far beyond what I was targeting. However, manually holding the case to the dispenser does make the system mechanically more simple than my idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    Figures, if I could think of it - someone had already done it. But I bet it could be done cheaper. Prometheus looks to be on a scale of precision that is far beyond what I was targeting. However, manually holding the case to the dispenser does make the system mechanically more simple than my idea.
    It could certainly be done for about a tenth of the cost.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Hmm, how about using a hopper to dump into, then open the bottom up to dump into the primed case? Could use an electronic “ counter” to weigh the charge, then open the hopper, dispense the powder, and then close the bottom door. Change out the case while the trickle is filling another charge! Cut the trickle off when the electronic counter reaches a preset limit, then dump powder, change case while refilling. Could even put a lift mechanism on the platform holding the case, so when the charge is ready, elevate the case to powder dump funnel so as to have no leaks, fill case, retract case,change out while refilling hopper! Could build this machine as simple or as complex as you want to. Now you got me thinking. Good luck to you. It’s a heck of an idea!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Ok, I misunderstood what you were after. With my lyman #6 electric dispenser there is not enough room between the powder dribbler spout and the pan/scale to stand up a case and fill it even if you could get the powder to go into the case mouth. I suppose you could separate the scale and the dribbler to gain room and use a powder funnel but then the cases would all have to be the same weight or you would have to rezero for each case. Sounds like it could be done.

When loading stick powders, I let the pan fill to weight, dump powder in the case then let the pan refill while I'm seating the bullet. Not much lost time that way.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    For some reason I had an idea pop into mind today.

The idea is to make an auto powder dispenser that dumps direct into the case. Think of combining the RCBS chargemaster and a shell holder.

set your charge weight, plop in a primed case, pull out a charged case.

instead of a plate for the scale, you'd have a shell holder. After initial setup and calibration - An auto tare function when cases were swapped out would negate case to case variation. You'd need some form of powder funnel that the dispenser dumps into as well, and a way to adjust the height to account for different case lengths. maybe ultrasonic for the funnel as well to solve any possible bridging - but that might not even be an issue depending on the speed of the dispenser.

could perhaps speed up the process of metering those troublesome stick powders.

Thoughts? I think it would sell.
    Kudos to your great idea! EXCEPT -- over-cautious, insecure old farts like yours truly surely woudn't buy one! "Why", you might inquire. Simple a matter of trust. Hey -- I have RCBS Charge-Master; a Harrel Precision powder measure; ten Dillons -- each one one 550b toolhead, and maybe three Ohaus measures on my Lyman All-American presses. IF -- and this is the big "but!" -- I'm cranking out several-hundred round batches of .38 S&W Special Mid-range; 10mm Auto; and/or .45ACP -- I trust the RCBS 100%. However, when, say, I'm loading my Lapua brass for .221 Remington Fireball, whatever measure I use is set for about 1/2-grain under -- and then I use a Hornady trickler (the one with a hand-crank) to get dead-on to load I desire. (My cast bullets for this, and similar calibres, are also each weighed).

However, again, other than for OCD loading on specific calibres -- your idea is, imho, a good one!

Boolit Grand Master

In reality you wouldnt need a shell holder but just a ring to set the case in to position it. A small plastic ring could be tapped to the platter with double faced tape to test/prove
    your idea.

Boolit Buddy
    What if your empty brass is not all the same weight? Just a thought.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    What if your empty brass is not all the same weight? Just a thought.
    That is why he said " An auto tare function when cases were swapped out would negate case to case variation. "
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

The “trick” part of what you are wanting is the pan that you can drop the charge out the bottom vs pick up and dump into the case.

FF to 5:40 in this video and you can see how the Prometheus works (ball lifts out of funnel shaped pan to allow powder to drop out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=0E1PKdPbME0

All of that is being weighed and could cause error, why he spends 4 minutes showing users the importance of everything being free swinging. The entire system ignores cases or case weight though.

I can get repeatability out of an old RCBS 505 that I can’t get out of my Chargemasters, with the help of <$50 worth of electronics.

The A&D balance I am double checking those charges with is displaying to the hundredth, not tenth of a grain.

Boolit Buddy
    JM
    Can't find the like button

Boolit Buddy
    jmorris,

I love my old 5-0-5 too. All I had originally.

Haven’t automated it like you though.

I do use a Chargemaster too. And it’s good too. But I got mine when it was cheaper.