Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: W. Mander 12-bore

W. Mander 12-bore

I have this one on the way from Track. I've never heard of W. Mander, and have looked through the Birmingham names, as this one has English proofs, but have come up with nothing. If anyone knows more (anything), it would be much appreciated.
    I'll fix her up in the shop, correct the chips, cracks, and mainspring, and plan to see if she will be a good field gun, as it looks like she has lots of life left in her.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../494/1/AAU-794

Boolit Master
    Mander may not be the maker. My one reference book on makers does not mention that name. Many small shops did not make guns but retailed them after putting their name on them. Note: A 13 bore should use common 12 gauge wads.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Most likely a retailer who imported guns from Belgium, once quite common.

It would have acquired English proof marks upon importation - once it's in hand, check for original maker's & proof marks from elsewhere, in the frame watertable, barrel bottoms & barrel flats.

Belgium proof marks usually have an "ELG" somewhere, other countries have their own marks - foreign proof mark examples are readily available online.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Mander may not be the maker. My one reference book on makers does not mention that name. Many small shops did not make guns but retailed them after putting their name on them. Note: A 13 bore should use common 12 gauge wads.
    Thanks, Elk.
    I had the suspicion that it may be a retailer, much like Army & Navy or Rodda, but very much smaller of course, so the actual maker may sadly be lost to time. These end up being a rabbit hole to go down. I've got a few English top-levers here that I'll never know either.
    The price and the brass inlay made me jump on it.
    I think it had previously been on GB, as I found its photo elsewhere....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	313128

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Most likely a retailer who imported guns from Belgium, once quite common.

It would have acquired English proof marks upon importation - once it's in hand, check for original maker's & proof marks from elsewhere, in the frame watertable, barrel bottoms & barrel flats.

Belgium proof marks usually have an "ELG" somewhere, other countries have their own marks - foreign proof mark examples are readily available online.

True. I just assumed that Track would have mentioned any Belgian marks. I'll check if its ribs are brazed.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't help your question, but that is a nice shotgun. The differing muzzle measurements make me wonder if it has been back bored and left with choke at the muzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I can't help your question, but that is a nice shotgun. The differing muzzle measurements make me wonder if it has been back bored and left with choke at the muzzles.
    I'm curious about that as well. Another thing that is interesting, is that from the top view near the breech, the left barrel, which is the .74, looks wider than the right .73 barrel....unless this is just a trick of the light in the photo.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aau-794_3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	313135

Boolit Grand Master

Just based on the air I see between the hammer and plate on the right side, I'm guessing that picture is slightly angled so the left barrel is higher.

We'll find out Thursday. Stay tuned everyone