RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 0-turn mower vs. tractor style mower

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    This can be dealt with simply by putting better tires on the rear. I am running ATV tires on mine and it don't slide. You can get it stuck, but you have to work at it.
    It is also dependent on the wight of the z turn over the rear wheels. My first z turn was a small 42 inch cut snapper. It was light weight, and prefect for my smaller yard in town, but it nearly got me killed once before I realized one wheel was spinning forward and the other reverse, and I was on a sleigh ride to disaster! There are plenty of instances of folks being killed because a Z turn took them over an edge!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Standard Hustler Raptor
    Put the mulch kit on it. Won't be near as dirty. Plus you don't have what seems like two feet of discharge chute hanging out there to bounce off of everything. I have that same mower by the way.

Boolit Grand Master
    IMO spending north of $5000 for a mower to cut 3/4 of an acre is silly. You have had some high end machines suggested.

Reminds me of a post similar to yours on a tractor forum. The guy had 2 acres to mow and was getting recommendations for $13,000 ZT's.

Once you have sorted through all this advice, go to a place or two that sells mowers. Not a Home Depot or Tractor Supply but a real small engine shop. They know your local conditions and hear what they have to say.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Couple things a zero turn is faster but if you’re not careful will tear up your yard turning.Narrow places or in the shade where the sod is thin it’s hard not to.If you have any steep hills that you have to turn on they will take off get away whatever you want to call it.The big commercial mowers aren’t too bad but the smaller home owner ones area putting aggressive tires on will just tear up your yard more.They do ride rough I have a Ferris which rides about the best but you’re not getting one new for 5or 6 thousand but I mow a lot more than 2 or 3 acres.

Boolit Buddy
    Good advice from dverna. Like has been said a large zero-turn would make short work of 3/4 acre. Legit under 20 minutes. I'd recommend while you're at the small engine store ask if they might know someone who's selling a good used machine. I wouldn't pay for a new mower, the quality of new machines is so low these days you're not buying yourself any peace of mind. You're going to wind up fixing something on it inside of 24 months, so buy a used machine for less than half the money. FWIW I mow with a 60" diesel Kubota, bought used with 900 hours. In your shoes I'd probably look for a used Toro or Raptor Hustler, zero-turn, with a responsible-looking owner. The z-turns are very convenient.

There might be mower cos. who are putting out quality that's worth paying floor price for. I'm commenting b/o general quality of manufacturing—not intimate familiarity with the mower industry.

One thing that hasn't been addressed is maintenance. I haven't owned a ride-on-top tractor mower. Can some of you guys who have both tractors and z-turns comment on the relative maintenance burden of each?

Boolit Master

For a 3/4 acre lot it would be a long time before the trans axles would need serviced. Oil changes and belts are the same as any other type mower. A good home owner grade machine can be had for well under 5k. I agree with looking for a good used one. I bought mine of Facebook with 100 hrs on it and it looked liked new. They are out there.

Boolit Grand Master
    JD brought out a couple of 0 turn mowers for the wife to try. She said they just about beat her to death. Tried to get the Cub cadet dealer to bring out a few, but after a couple of phone calls and no response , I gave up. Ended up buying her a JD x304, 4 wheel steer, which she likes. I have a JD 445 I use, also a 4 wheel steer. If you include the pasture, might have about 2.5 acres to mow, otherwise, lawn is about an acre. Takes about an hour and a half to mow. Lots of trees in the yard.

Boolit Master
    Cut about 2 acres with a Ferris IS 700Z 52" and takes a little over an hour. Suspension is adjustable to help with bumpy ground. This is a commercial mower and other than normal maintenance has not been a problem in the 7 years I have owned it. The comments on steep ground and tearing up the sod are spot on and when I got mine had to alter my mowing patterns to accommodate slopes. If you have a steep spot go slow and experiment with the direction you mow. I bought it when I lived in WI and the dealer was 10 miles away, when I moved to KY that changed, nearest dealer is 70 miles away, but normal maintenance does not require a dealer nearby. Check out who your nearby dealers are also what the local lawn care companies use before deciding on a brand. Down here in my part of KY the popular brand is SCAG. The advice to go to a dealer versus Lowes or Home Depot is absolutely correct. When I bought mine new 7 tears or so ago was just under 7K and something in that range now probably closer to 8-9K, but will vary according to the size mower you get. When I moved here I was the only one with a ZT mower, noticed over the years that the several neighbors replaced their riders with ZT mowers after watching me mow.

Boolit Master

You might price a landscaping service to mow for you. I am not pushing in that direction, but lots of urban people do. They all use ZTs. Around here ALL Ferris as well as Stihl with a load of other trimmers and etc., but who cares ? you in the house sipping a cool one. Might be worh a look.

Boolit Master
    the speed of a zero turn would be of no use to me because of my bumpy ground. at this time, it takes me 45 minutes on my cub cadet and 25 minutes with a trim mower and weed wacker. i am going to go with a tractor mower

Go ride & mow with a Zero, any brand...when you walk away you may not be able to meet the $ to get one but...you will forever wish you had one.

This mower will pull a vacuum all day and not complain.

I can't imagine towing this vacuum with my old rider...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have 1.74 acres. Not too many years ago I used a Farmall H with a 6' belly mower. Worked good out in the open areas, but then had to use a rear engined Snapper for the tighter areas, and then finished up with a push mower. 3 different rigs just to mow the lawn.

I started looking at zero turns. Bought a 42" Country Clipper with the joy stick steering. Right at $4,000.

Figured on still using the Farmall where I could, and finish up with the zero turn. Did it that way maybe twice and then did the whole lawn with the zero turn just as an experiment. SURPRISE SURPRISE. I got done in way less time and the lawn looked even better.

I gave the Snapper away. The Farmall got parked in a shed where it still sets, and I bought a cordless string trimmer for the close up work.

Should have gone with the zero turn many years ago.

Moderator Emeritus

I mow 1 1/2 acres(my yard and the neighbors plus an empty lot) with a 10 year old Sears tractor with hydrostatic drive. Take me about 2-3 hours(LOTS of obstacles) depending on how tall/wet the grass is. When I had to replace a blade tower bearing I borrowed a friends zero turn... it beat the crap out of me and it is a commercial model. Also fought it on some slopes I have to deal with. Ended up taking me an hour longer to mow because I had to slow down to keep my spine from being compressed.

Boolit Master
    I had a very nice wheel horse rider that I bought ne and had been through 3 decks and was having trouble finding another (sand and Florida). Tried a very used dixie chopper, and would never go back to a garden tractor. The zero turn is a commercial mower, none of the garden tractors are commercial. My was worn out when I bought it and I have done some work to it but Ive been using it for 20 years. They now make zero turns that are not commercial mowers so be aware. Get a good one even a used mower and it will last you the rest of your life

Boolit Master
    10 acres total...two different places (just across the Creek tho) Industrial tractor (40+ Horse) with a Landscape 3-point behind!!
    also a John Deere Rider... No Zero turns for us...thanks.. use one at the Folks.. only advantage is trimming... and My Bitter Half still uses a Walk behind for some of that.. she gets mad if some aint left for her to do!!!
    If it don't got a Drink Holder... or the drink jumps outta the holder... I don't want it.. Thanks..
    Boils down to just like Driving... what the Hell is the Hurry???? Course...we likely take the Bike!!!!! No Hurries...No Worries..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Put the mulch kit on it. Won't be near as dirty. Plus you don't have what seems like two feet of discharge chute hanging out there to bounce off of everything. I have that same mower by the way.
    I will check into that. Thank you!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

I understand Portho's point of view. It is just more mower than he needs. You don't drive finish nails with a 2lb ball peen.

Boolit Master
    A portion of the cost decision boils down to how much time do you want to spend? I've been mowing lawns since I was about 8 years old - my grandparents gave me an old mechanical reel mower before I graduated to a Huffy push mower. At this point in my life, I am no longer enamored with yard work.

My first ZRT cost me $1000 about ten years ago - it was a used 42" Toro and still runs. Before that, I did most of the rough work with a 6' shredder on the back of a tractor and string trimmed the rest. The Toro saved time, because it ran faster and more nimble, so it left less trim work. The JD takes even less time so that's yet another efficiency improvement. People make comments about spending several thousand dollars on a mower but how much time do you want to spend on the job? A push mower is great for a postage stamp yard but I'll stick with the ZRT for my current situation.

Boolit Master
    The beauty of any zero turn mower is NOT how fast it will go. The time saving comes from the fact that you can do the up close trimming as you go. When you're done, you're done.

Boolit Master

What Froogal says. Spot on.

My yard is bumpy and about 3/4 acre with a lot of obstacles. ZTR saves me a half hour of mowing over the lawn tractor I had, and quite a bit more in trimming. 1-2 hrs of saved time every mow is significant when you have a regular job and a side business and . . . etc. Plus a ZTR is fun to mow with, if that is possible.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast