Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 0-turn mower vs. tractor style mower

Boolit Master

0-turn mower vs. tractor style mower

i've always used "tractor" mowers. probably going to get a new riding mower. i cut 3/4 acre of pretty lumpy ground. are there advantages and/or disadvantages to either??

That's about how much I mow with a 43" lawn tractor.
    A 'O' turn is wider and would do it faster. For me the time saving isn't worth the extra expense of the O turn.
    As far as ride comfort, I don't see much difference when going over bumps.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I’m on a little over 2 acre site and a rider is about the right size. For 3/4 of an acre I don’t think a zero turn would even get up to operating temp.

I think your right between a large self propelled push mower or a small rider.

Boolit Master
    I vote for zero turn hands down - they are much faster and more efficient. I have a 42” Toro and a 60” John Deere; we mow our acre where the house is located, and another acre that our son lives on down the road from us. You’ll spend 4-6k for a new one, depending on size and brand - but you’ll never go back to a tractor style once you use a ZRT.

Boolit Master
    o turn is easier to maneuver around stuff like cutting close in around trees, backing up and turning around quick and getting in and out of tight spots. depending on mower the tractor style may ride smoother on bumpy ground but a lot depends on how fast your moving . when my grasshopper was running it would cut while moving at a pretty good clip and I would find myself slowing down because it would beat me up pretty good, nothing is flat or smooth on my property.
    what ive found in looking at different new mowers over the past few years is for $3000-$5000 if cared for and using non ethanol gas for taking care of 1 acre it would probably last a long time.
    keep in mind there is a big difference between commercial engines and homeowner engines. if there is an option to get a Kawasaki, Honda or Kohler commercial engine on the mower it will most likely last much longer.
    Last edited by farmbif; 04-16-2023 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy

ZTR is great especially if you have a lot of trees or bushes to go around. I believe they are rougher riding. The suspension is how much air you run in the ear tires, I bought the bottom of the line John Deere at Lowes a few years ago for $2500 and good military discount. No problems. FYI the JD sold at Lowes is the same mower sold at the JD store. More attachments are available for lawn tractors GW

Boolit Master
    My Zero turn Toro just got replaced with another after 13 yrs of hard use , never use a tractor again ! Tractors are slow /poor turning/ backing up/ useless about covers it!/Ed

Boolit Master
    A small 0 turn! Ferris makes one with suspension. One disadvantage of a zero turn? They can be a bear to operate on moderate to steep slopes. The front has a tendency to pull you down hill, and can get the operator into a hairy situation quickly. Much depends on what you have to mow around as to the time saving aspect of the one turn.

Boolit Grand Master
    3/4 of an acre is not much grass to mow. I love my ZT but it would be overkill for your needs.

I cut about 2 acres and it takes 45-50 minutes.

Get a decent rider.
    Don Verna

I have both. Cub RZT50 and John Deere X320. Both run Kawasaki motors.

John Deere, hands down. This ain’t a HD or Lo’s model, this one you get at the JD dealership. It will turn sharp! Did I say it will turn sharp?

Hilly terrain, rough; tractor style.

Boolit Master

You are the only one who knows what you need. If you haven't used a zero turn ask a friend who has one to let you try it out then make your choice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

you can get a 42" zero turn. For cutting grass there is no better tool. The maneuverability over a lawn tractor can not even be compared. Get a zero turn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    A small 0 turn! Ferris makes one with suspension. One disadvantage of a zero turn? They can be a bear to operate on moderate to steep slopes. The front has a tendency to pull you down hill, and can get the operator into a hairy situation quickly. Much depends on what you have to mow around as to the time saving aspect of the one turn.

This can be dealt with simply by putting better tires on the rear. I am running ATV tires on mine and it don't slide. You can get it stuck, but you have to work at it.

Boolit Master

Have both a zero turn and two JD riders. Both have plus and minuses. Biggest thing with the zero turn is you are sitting lower. On just a lawn there is not a problem but we use ours not only for the grass on the lawn but for all general mowing around the place. Some grass, some weeds, some dry stuff you name it. By sitting lower you are right down in it in the kicked up dirt and debris but on a rider you are sitting higher and often out of what ever is thrown up.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Have both a zero turn and two JD riders. Both have plus and minuses. Biggest thing with the zero turn is you are sitting lower. On just a lawn there is not a problem but we use ours not only for the grass on the lawn but for all general mowing around the place. Some grass, some weeds, some dry stuff you name it. By sitting lower you are right down in it in the kicked up dirt and debris but on a rider you are sitting higher and often out of what ever is thrown up.
    Are you using a mulching deck?

Boolit Master

buy a Ferris

Boolit Bub
    I asked the members on this forum last year about what type of zero turn mower I should get for my parents place. After a bit of research, I selected a Toro 50 inch deck with the "My-Ride" suspension system. Was home two weeks ago and had it delivered. Drove around the yard to try it out. Looking forward to see how it does with the lawn this summer!

for me, zero turn is awful on rough ground; sold mine and bought a new Deere X380, very happy. My son has an Xmark but very flat ground, he love it and I do as well, on his place!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Are you using a mulching deck?
    Standard Hustler Raptor
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Since moving here, on this 1/2 acre 'bumpy' lot I've used a push mower, riding mower, commercial style walk behind & now a zero turn. The push mower, in 90 degree weather, will give you heat stroke, the rider will leave a wash board effect on the ground, think moist ground here, the walk behind was nice but after some years the knees didn't appreciate it anymore. Opted for the zero turn due to it's maneuverability, lower center of gravity & it's weight.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast