Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger stripping PC off

How do the bullets look like after sizing, before assembly, into loaded cartridges?

Boolit Master
    Included in the first photos are one unfired bullet and one smash-tested bullet. Bullets from both molds passed the smash test. I put em in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    How do the bullets look like after sizing, before assembly, into loaded cartridges?
    In posts #7 & #8 I included a photo of an unfired, sized bullet, plus a smashed one. I see the unfired 95 grainer is obscured by the smashed one. But you can see the 125 grainer pretty good.

Apologies my eyes were attracted to the stripped bullets

Are you sure that you aren’t stripping the pc when loading? Are you expanding your cases properly, so that you aren’t swaging down your bullets?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Are you sure that you aren’t stripping the pc when loading? Are you expanding your cases properly, so that you aren’t swaging down your bullets?
    Can you pull a bullet and see how the PC looks after pulling?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Can you pull a bullet and see how the PC looks after pulling?
    It'll have to wait until tomorrow. But I think I can do that.

The 'orange peel' look of the noses says they aren't cured.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    According to the Hodgdon site the loads are right at max. My first guess is the boolit sliding and shaving before the spin catches up with the rifling. I've done that with a hot load and soft boolits. There was essentially no rifling on the recovered boolits. But then I ask myself where the residual is ending up if the barrel is clean. Maybe a shot through a piece of cloth a couple feet in front of the barrel would show the shaved lead exiting the muzzle. And I don't know what your backstop is, but the boolits don't look terribly deformed. So they don't end up looking like it was a hot load and a soft boolit. Still, I'd back up to a starting load and see if the recovered boolits are doing the same thing. Especially with the 95 gr boolits, not a lot of surface there to engage the rifling.

Is it possible to have a barrel where the bore ends up somewhat tapered, perhaps a little oversized near the chamber? I've never heard of such a thing. It would slug correctly, but may also allow the boolit to slide through part of the rifling. But it would also be noticeable when you slugged the bore, as the boolit would push easier through that section of the rifling.

And I assume you're not trusting the dial on the front of the oven when it says 400 degrees. My knob is marked with a sharpie since 400 on an oven thermometer shows up somewhere around 430 on the dial.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread. You've got a weird one here.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    Included in the first photos are one unfired bullet and one smash-tested bullet. Bullets from both molds passed the smash test. I put em in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
    Have you double checked the oven’s temperature with a thermometer? It’s possible is not getting up to the temperature on the dial.

9mm bullet diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

Pull a few bullets and measure them. It certainly wouldn't be the first time brass was sizing down a bullet when seating.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Have you double checked the oven’s temperature with a thermometer? It’s possible is not getting up to the temperature on the dial.
    Yes I have a separate thermometer I put in the o en. The oven is surprisingly "on" at the 400 dgreesetting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    According to the Hodgdon site the loads are right at max. My first guess is the boolit sliding and shaving before the spin catches up with the rifling. I've done that with a hot load and soft boolits. There was essentially no rifling on the recovered boolits. But then I ask myself where the residual is ending up if the barrel is clean. Maybe a shot through a piece of cloth a couple feet in front of the barrel would show the shaved lead exiting the muzzle. And I don't know what your backstop is, but the boolits don't look terribly deformed. So they don't end up looking like it was a hot load and a soft boolit. Still, I'd back up to a starting load and see if the recovered boolits are doing the same thing. Especially with the 95 gr boolits, not a lot of surface there to engage the rifling.

Is it possible to have a barrel where the bore ends up somewhat tapered, perhaps a little oversized near the chamber? I've never heard of such a thing. It would slug correctly, but may also allow the boolit to slide through part of the rifling. But it would also be noticeable when you slugged the bore, as the boolit would push easier through that section of the rifling.

And I assume you're not trusting the dial on the front of the oven when it says 400 degrees. My knob is marked with a sharpie since 400 on an oven thermometer shows up somewhere around 430 on the dial.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread. You've got a weird one here.
    That could be that they're at the top of the pressure. The same loads work well in a Micro9 excepting that I size them to .356" for the Kimber.

The near-perfect nose condition is because they were stopped by snow. Although several of the 95 grainers hit a number of 1 gallon water jugs.

Boolit Master
    Ok. Here's the pulled bullet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230417_225212.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	313124

Name:	20230417_225224.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	313125

Name:	20230417_225233.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	313126
    Last edited by Black Jaque Janaviac; 04-18-2023 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Spacing between pictures

Boolit Master
    I have never done PC but .0024 over bore size seems a bit tight to me. I will be watching this as I am always up to learning something new.

Vendor Sponsor

I will say that in all the calibers my customers PC 9MM seems to be by far the one that gives beginners more issues. many 9MMs end up with a bullets sized .3575 or even .358
    my own Taurus 9MM required .358 and an HK needed .3575 to shoot without leading and to get accuracy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Yours look like mine did when fired in my HK VP9. The barrel in mine has no throat. Just the sharp edge of the chamber and 'rifling' (HK is polygonal). There was a bit of build up of PC/lead at the edge of the chamber. I don't shoot cast in it anymore. If I wanted to I'd get a conventional barrel for it and have Doug throat it. And, yes, bullets were sized at .356 and I tried .358. Slugged bore at .355.

OTOH, my 1911 shoots cast just fine and loves PC bullets (.45acp).

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12