WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Custom Mold Recommendations

Boolit Mold

Custom Mold Recommendations

I own a Lyman 429421 two cavity and a 429421 four cavity mold. They both cast beautiful bullets that come out at between .431 and .432. I also own two S&W Model 29s whose cylinder throats both measure .4335.
    I made a .003 shim for my four cavity mold that causes it to create out of round bullets that measure around .435. When I lubricate and size these using my Lyman 450 and a Buffalo Arms .433 sizing die I get round .433 bullets.
    This is not a very elegant solution. The shims do not last very long. Lyman just told me that they do not offer custom molds and they recommended RCBS.
    Have any of you ever faced this challenge? What suggestions do you have?

If I were after custom I would be looking at Accurate molds.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/

The 43-250J is a clone of the Lyman 429421 clone according to Accurate. The best part is you can get more than 2 cavities and choose the diameter you want. I usually order a bit larger and size to fit the individual guns. The quality is top drawer with these or NOE or MP Molds as well. The Accurate Molds catalogue is a cast boolit shooters candy store. We are in hog heaven when it comes to boolit molds!!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    First try changing your alloy. You don't say what you are using, but adding 2% tin to wheeleeights will increase diameter about 0.001".
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I can only say what I have heard, but Accurate and NOE have really good reputations. I don’t believe MP does custom molds anymore. Accurate’s catalog is really well done and very interesting to have a look at.

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with Accurate molds and would recommend them.

Boolit Grand Master

The only custom molds that I have are from Accurate. They cast great! I doubt you would go wrong with any of the custom mold makers.

I noticed that you said you use a Lyman 450 for traditional lubing. If you want a square bottom grease groove, NOE comes as close as any I've seen but I am not sold on the idea that it is absolutely necessary. Your 429421's are pretty close but here is a pic of NOE's. L-R a 224gr NOE-a 429421Lyman-a 270 gr NOE and a 310 lee(with the way too shallow crimp groove)Attachment 312962
    I bought the 224 for my 29-2 S&W to try to get a little speed without going to a heavy 255 gr. With the rear bottomed out, it still shoots a bit high with heavier boolits and I don't want to strain the old girl!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

"Have any of you ever faced this challenge? What suggestions do you have?" Send Tom an email at Accurate Molds. He has forgot more that most of us ever knew. After about 3 or 4 emails, he came up with the 45-253M for me and it is a lights out winner in my 625-3 IAttachment 312968 use for Auto Rim's and my 25-5.