Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lake Lunker

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Lake Lunker

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Big enough to invite the entire neighborhood over for a fish dinner.

DG

Lakers taste great. Loved catching them in the boundary waters.

Boolit Master

Caught a 37 inch Laker about 5 years ago in Flathead lake; middle of lake across from Lakeside. There are some big fish in the lake. It was not the "Fighter" I expected, more like pulling a hooked big branch through the water for 3/4 of the landing.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Love catching them, not the biggest fan of their taste, but that's my thing generally with freshwater bass. Much prefer the oceangoing species - Stripers, black and Mediterranean sea bass. For some of the bigger ones, my experience is much like Mustang's.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Big enough to invite the entire neighborhood over for a fish dinner.

DG
    DG, there is a couple of lakes just up the road from you, where there have been 30+ pounders caught I think. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Catch and release because I am NOT eating it... I rank trout in with carp for flavor...carp may be slightly better...

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    DG, there is a couple of lakes just up the road from you, where there have been 30+ pounders caught I think. jd
    jd-- I'm not much of a fisherman. I used to enjoy fishing on party boats off the Calif. coast catching rock cod. Good eating, and I'll often order cod with tarter sauce if I happen to go to a restaurant. That would be like in Bend, OR, as there isn't much dining out where I actually live.

You are correct about the lakes and fishing here. The closest is Miller Lake and farther away is Odell Lake. When we first moved here we made the mistake of eating dinner at the only operational restaurant in Chemult. The server was a young man whom I engaged in conversation. He claimed that he often fished in Miller Lake with great success.

He said you had to have a boat, and he used mini marsh mellows, the multi colored kind, two per hook, where he routinely caught lake trout 18-24 inches in length. He said that two was always enough to go home with. Somehow he seemed believable.

Then I changed the subject to Elk hunting and he said it was great if you knew where to go, but he couldn't hunt because he was an ex-felon and barred from owning a firearm for the next two years. Such candor seemed to lend authenticity to his fishing information.

Odell Lake is very deep and cold. If I remember correctly it's 250 ft. deep in the middle. It holds the record each year for the largest lake trout taken in Oregon.

Well, all just FYI.

DG

I do enjoy fishing for them. I have a little gem of a lake that I like to float tube and chase Lakers. As mentioned, not the best fight, more of a tug of war or reeling in a branch with propulsion with most of the fish I catch ranging from just a few lbs to five lbs or so but I have caught the occasional 15 to 20 lb Laker that takes me for a bit of a ride. Here in Colorado, the state record is over 50 lbs so you just never no what you might get.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s a big fish! Nice to release it so someone else will have a chance at it.

Boolit Master

You have a really nice front yard.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    You have a really nice front yard.
    Hell of a problem with the mower sinking. Sorry, kinda what I thought when I saw the pic vs thread title

Boolit Master

Nice fish, enjoy it
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Wow big fish!

Boolit Grand Master

What a bruiser!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Catch and release because I am NOT eating it... I rank trout in with carp for flavor...carp may be slightly better...
    You are fake news
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum