Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: S&W Yoke Alignment Tool

Boolit Master

S&W Yoke Alignment Tool

I am working on a CIA import S&W Model 10-7 that I bought with out a barrel.
    A friend gave me a 4” barrel and with the help of a member here I got the ejector rod and center pin installed.
    The yoke is slightly out of alignment so I need a yoke alignment tool to get it right.
    The cylinder turns, but if it is closed gently the pin doesn’t go into the hole in the frame.
    The cylinder latch is a little stiff also.
    I did a search on google and a dimensioned pic of the tool popped up on the S&W forum.
    Now I have another project to finish another project!

Boolit Bub
    I’ll be interested to see how this turns out. Last fall, I bought a beat up pre-war (maybe 4th change?) K-frame in 32/20 that had been locked up, beat up, and pretty well left for dead in a local police auction, and once I got the cylinder unlocked and the obvious issues done (someone in the gun’s past had tried to beat the cylinder open, pried on the ejector rod, and generally abused the poor thing). It was also clear somebody had played “gangster” with the cylinder, based on how far out of spec the yoke was, so I had to massage it with a lot of love taps and a soft-faced hammer, which was nerve-wracking.
    The good news was that, once it was all back together, the little gun shoots great, and the serial number puts it in the heat treated range for 32/20, so it’s been a near-constant companion in the woods with me.

Please share pics of the “real” tool to correct yoke alignment as you progress. Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Pick up the S&W shop manual written by Jerry Kuhnhausen.
    The tool and how to use it is in that book.
    I needed one of those tools to repair and rebuild revolvers.
    Brownells at the time was out of them.
    So I just made one myself.
    But back then too , I had a lathe.
    Sorry , but I can't find that tool I made or I would give it to you since I don't work on many revolvers anymore.
    But do check Brownell's or just Google handgun tools for sale.

Boolit Grand Master
    You'll also need a wedge to bend the yoke. Brownell's used to sell a nylon wedge; but one cut from hardwood will work, especially for a one time use tool.

Don't beat on it like you are killing snakes, it takes surprisingly little effort to bend a yoke into alignment.

Robert