Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: S&W M69 cylinder throats

Boolit Buddy

S&W M69 cylinder throats

I'd like to send a friend of mine a box of cast bullets for his model 69. He lives in another State and I would rather not mail him my pin gauges.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that this model mics at 0.429" throats..
    Can anyone with this model confirm?
    Thanks in advance.

My mod 69 chamber throat measures 0.430” with gauge pins.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you double R!

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine was less than .429 until I sent it to Doug Guy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	312927
    Have your buddy try a couple of jacketed .429 bullets and see if they pass through .
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by long_arm View Post
    I'd like to send a friend of mine a box of cast bullets for his model 69. He lives in another State and I would rather not mail him my pin gauges.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that this model mics at 0.429" throats..
    Can anyone with this model confirm?
    Thanks in advance.
    You can’t get there from here…

The variation in throats is due to tool wear. You can’t think that certain models have certain size throats. Look at the two answers you got here: One guy has <.429” and another has .430”. That’s over .0015” variation, and if you wait long enough, someone will come along with .431” throats.

If your sizing bullets for your friends’ revolvers, you need to know THEIR pistol’s throat size…
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

My neighbor has one I have examined. Throats are all .429" while the bore slugs a little over .430. It's a mediocre shooter with cast.

As far as S&W's cylinder throats go, you can pretty well count on them to be tight, as in .429" or a bit less. All of the post '90 guns I have encountered, none have been .430 much less .431. There might be some out there but have not encountered one.I will bet that Reverend Recoil's gun doesn't lead with the .430 throats. If you do as glen says, at least he will be close to the right track with sending him a couple of .429 jacketed to try. Smith and Wesson doesn't care 1 whet about us cast boolit shooters. Thank goodness we have DougGuy. DogDoc, I know your 69 shoots great according to your post so what are the throats in your gun?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Vendor Sponsor

This is why I do what I do, so shooters can ENJOY their craft! It's not too much to ask for, turn your gun from a ho hum (must be my old eyes) into something they would LIKE to shoot!

Cast boolits are generally bigger in size than their factory jacketed counterpart so that they will have a better seal in the bore. So, most revolvers need the cylinder throats fitted to the boolit so it doesn't simply swage the boolit down as it exits the front of the cylinder.

No biggie to have the throats honed, and results are a positive improvement pretty much 100% of the time, and doesn't affect jacketed bullet performance since j-words are a dead soft core swaged into a gilding metal jacket, and they will gladly obturate to throat diameter as they are fired provided they aren't a mouse fart load.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I would just send them at .430". If it wont work good with that, it likely wouldn't be any better with .429". It's doubtful he has .431" or bigger throats.