WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Red Dot loads

Boolit Master

Replace Red Dot loads

Quick, I Hope, question.. I am having a very hard time locating Promo/Red Dot here in my part of the Rhubarb Patch!!
    In Fact... Not many Alliant Powders at all!!!
    So, I believe that AA Powders can be Had... obvious question now...can #2 or #5 (doubtful) possibly come close to Red Dot in Everything??
    Yes, I use Red Dot in .32 S&W thru 30-06, and all places in between!!! Should Have Stocked Up!!!!
    Thanks for your Input.

Boolit Master
    AA #2 is a fast powder like bullseye. Dense though.

Moderator Emeritus

Promo and Red Dot don't have any deterrent coatings, so that makes them different than most other smokeless powders. So it will likely be difficult to find such a universal replacement.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Promo and Red Dot don't have any deterrent coatings, so that makes them different than most other smokeless powders. So it will likely be difficult to find such a universal replacement.
    I Bet!!!
    Darn it!!!

Boolit Master
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

These guys tried a bunch of powders for low vel loads.

Boolit Master
    Stating the obvious- time to go back to the books. There's plenty of load data out there for all the calibers you load and in some cases potentially with better performance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Stating the obvious- time to go back to the books. There's plenty of load data out there for all the calibers you load and in some cases potentially with better performance.
    I gots lots of Books, and Lots of Loads.. Red Dot can be used in All of my calibers... and I like to shoot those loads..
    Question is still...is any Powder as Versatile????

Bullseye at Brownells this morning (4/10/23) fairly close to red dot, if not quite as bulky.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    Bullseye at Brownells this morning (4/10/23) fairly close to red dot, if not quite as bulky.
    Thanks
    Someone else just told me Brownells has Alliant powders.... Never dealt with Brownells at all... but, that may change!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how N310 would do with large case capacity?
    because reading the manufacturer's description leads me to believe it has a high ignitability factor.
    Red Dot and Promo's secret sauce for use in reduced loads in large capacity cases, is it's high ignitability factor, due to lack of deterrent coating.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/n310-handgun-powder/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

TrailBoss will do it but it is as rare these days as Red Dot.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Buddy
    if you were closer I'd offload a keg of Red Dot. Its a powder I rarely use having found other powders I use instead. If you ever head west on I-90 get in touch. I am only 7 miles from an off/on ramp.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    if you were closer I'd offload a keg of Red Dot. Its a powder I rarely use having found other powders I use instead. If you ever head west on I-90 get in touch. I am only 7 miles from an off/on ramp.
    Great offer...and I have been known to run that route!! I will drop you a PM in a Bit if you don't mind.. Tho it may be some time before I head that way again!!! Ya Never Know!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I found a few places selling Promo with a quick search. Not cheap but it is out there.

I have four jugs and live near Gaylord Michigan. PM me if that is not to far for you to travel.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Done

Boolit Master
    If you can find any IMR-700X, that's what I'D try for duplicating Red Dot/Promo loads. It won't be interchangeable, but it's similar in burning rate, and has a good history of being used for reduced stuff.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    During the Obama shortage, I ran out of Promo. I was using it for a lot of different handgun applications.

I ended up trying Titegroup. I found that Titegroup is also very versatile and worked for all of the stuff where I had been using Promo. It is also an "easy to ignite" powder that can be downloaded to mouse fart levels.

In general I like Promo a little better and went back to it for most (but not all) loads when it became available again.

A big plus with TG is that tends to be a lot easier to find during a shortage. Ball powders in general seem to be more available and less overpriced than flakes or the extruded stuff.

I may run out of Promo again before that current shortage ends. If so, I do have TG and know what it can do.

I have also toyed with the idea of trying CBI (a bulk milsurp type of proposition). The price is good, but shipping and Haz are steeper than typical. A big order might not be a bad idea not only because of the shipping and Haz, but also to ensure you will never have to deal with "lot differences". Most of my Promo loads are "midrange" and well below max allowed pressure. For these, I am confident that CBI would work fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    During the Obama shortage, I ran out of Promo. I was using it for a lot of different handgun applications.

I ended up trying Titegroup. I found that Titegroup is also very versatile and worked for all of the stuff where I had been using Promo. It is also an "easy to ignite" powder that can be downloaded to mouse fart levels.

In general I like Promo a little better and went back to it for most (but not all) loads when it became available again.

A big plus with TG is that tends to be a lot easier to find during a shortage. Ball powders in general seem to be more available and less overpriced than flakes or the extruded stuff.

I may run out of Promo again before that current shortage ends. If so, I do have TG and know what it can do.

I have also toyed with the idea of trying CBI (a bulk milsurp type of proposition). The price is good, but shipping and Haz are steeper than typical. A big order might not be a bad idea not only because of the shipping and Haz, but also to ensure you will never have to deal with "lot differences". Most of my Promo loads are "midrange" and well below max allowed pressure. For these, I am confident that CBI would work fine.
    Interesting....Thanks for that!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used jugs of Clays for light .38 Spl loads and I believe it works in many pistol calibers. I have no experienced with reduced loads in rifles as that is not my thing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I used jugs of Clays for light .38 Spl loads and I believe it works in many pistol calibers. I have no experienced with reduced loads in rifles as that is not my thing.
    And I use as much Red Dot in rifles as Handguns!! Usually in deference to Old/Unknown Gun... fairly mundane loads ya know!! Tho the Pressure keeps away from shoulder set-back....Usually!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast