RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New source of gas check material for those who roll their own...

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

New source of gas check material for those who roll their own...

I've been wondering about the new Budweiser aluminum "bottles" since I first saw them in a TV ad. I bought some yesterday for research purposes. First thing I had to do was rid one of them of the liquid filler they use to prevent the bottles from becoming dented or collapsing during shipment. Sacrifices must be made.

Using my bandsaw, I cut the bottleneck section off just below the shoulder, then cut the bottom off. I used a tubing mic to measure the wall thickness and found it to be an amazingly consistent .015-.016 at both ends. I don't know whether the .001 difference was measurement error or variation in the wall thickness at various locations.

Anyway, those who know the homemade gas check business better than I, due to first hand experience, can comment on whether this is a good source. I've always thought the standard flat-ended cans were too thin, and the fact that some folks use two layers to make one check seems to confirm this.

Comments??

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I'm waiting on one of Pat's checkmakers so I will be watching this thread with interest!
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master

It seems like the .015/.016" thickness might be a bit thick. I DID find that some of the cat food cans (I think mine are 9-Lives brand) are .008/.009" thick. The cans I am using are coated on the inside but I found that if I use the coated side for the inside of the GC it works well. As you say the pop cans are thin, but I have a 358156 single cavity that the check shank was damaged on when I go it. I carefully bored it to take the pop can checks at .004" thick. REALLY cheap boolits now!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Huh. I thought this post would get more comment. I'll have to go measure some .375 checks I have and see how thick they are for comparison. I'll post later when I go out to the shop.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

Research Data

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post

Anyway, those who know the homemade gas check business better than I, due to first hand experience, can comment on whether this is a good source.

Stew
    Yes, it is an extremely good source!! Stew, so nice of you to relieve the contents of those bottles and post your research results here!! Tell the wife you are being pressured by other members to check the consistancy of an entire case and various brands.

+1 on the pressure...
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Man, don't tell me I am going to have to start drinking beer again and collecting beer cans. This cast bullet stuff is realy getting complicated.

Duty calls. I'll finish the other four I have this week, and if they don't have the consistency I believe they will have, I'll have to go get some more for testing.

I measured some Hornady checks a while ago in my shop. They mic'd at .019 for .375 checks, .018 for .45s, and .020 for both the .32 and .30s.

These 16oz Bud containers should make several hundred checks from each bottle. Looks like good stuff.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"

Boolit Master

I have been using the bud aluminum bottles since they came out for gas checks on my 30 cal boolits. I will tell all of you that a standard reloading press does not have enough power behind it to cut these bottles. You can do it with an arbor press easily enough though, or a regular hole punch and a hammer on a block of hard wood. I had a friend of mine make me a hole punch with springs that you feed a strip of the material in and smack it with a big mallet to punch out the disks. It works quite well but it is heavy, about 10 lbs, but it has to be in order for it to punch the thicker material. Here is a pic of my disk punch with a strip of an Aluminum Bud Light bottle sticking out of it.

Here is a pic of some of the aluminum gas checks made from the Bud Light bottle.

I get on average 175, 30 cal gas checks out of a bottle. I don't like the cheap watered down stuff but I have a friend that does every so often and he saves the bottles for me. I have been using them for at least a year now. I never posted on it because I thought every one else had thought of using them as well. The aluminum is very soft which makes it easy to shape with out becoming brittle like some of the sheet aluminum I have used.

They work great, I have been pushing a 50/50 WW and pure alloy out of my 30-30 up to 2300 fps, and 2500 fps with my 30-06, and have had no problems with leading. I have around 500 rounds through each of those rifles and have yet to run a patch or a brush through them, and both shoot sub MOA groups. I never could get that kind of accuracy out of commercial gas checks or gas checks I made out of pop cans as consistently as I do the Bud Light gas checks.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Dang! Joe, those look great! Looks like I have another branch on this tree to explore...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I'm up for the disposing of the liquid filler, although I prefer my home brew beer. Sounds like Pats check maker might have a hard time with the material, though. I guess I will just have to build up a stock of the material before it arrives and see.

Boolit Master
    Gee. I wonder how the cap on my Crown Royal bottle will work??????
    Last edited by Tom W.; 02-09-2009 at 04:13 AM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Super Moderator

...............Ya know, the weight of the additional trials and tribulations we have to go through to shoot cast is just getting me down. However fear not, I WILL persevere without further complaint.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Boerrancher, those are pretty darn nice gas checks. I take it that you put in the strip, whack it with a hammer and get those??
    If so, I'd be curious to know how much your friend would charge me to make that punch?
    Qajaq

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by qajaq59 View Post
    Boerrancher, those are pretty darn nice gas checks. I take it that you put in the strip, whack it with a hammer and get those??
    If so, I'd be curious to know how much your friend would charge me to make that punch?
    Qajaq
    The punch only punches out the flat aluminum disk. The disk is then placed in a forming die and formed into a gas check. As far as my friend making another punch like that, he just had knee surgery a couple days ago, and is already 40+ days behind on his work. He doesn't know when he will be able to stand at a machine. I had a new idea for a 30 cal check maker that I was going to have him work on, but I haven't even mentioned it because of his bum leg.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Smile

I've been getting my liquid filler in longnecks. I'm having a terrible time making checks from them.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

Man, I'd like to have one of them punches and forming dies sets, too. I have laid off the beer, but I'm sure I've got buddies somewher that would save the aluminum bottles for me!
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    The downside is the Bud beer, it is HORRIBLE.

I might ask around some local bars and see about snagging some empties. A agree on the taste.

Boolit Grand Master

A&W has a aluminum bottle for their rootbeer float.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast