Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Matchng Buffalo Bore heavy loads in lever action carbine

Matchng Buffalo Bore heavy loads in lever action carbine

BB are claiming some really eyebrow raising mvs for their 180 grn rngc bullets in 357, has anyone matched this ? Reason I ask is over here in the UK we have a minimum muzzle energy for harvesting some of the deer and this round and their 158 grn load surpass it.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I never realized your boolits could get you a speeding ticket. So far, no limits on muzzle velocities in France.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by braddock View Post
    BB are claiming some really eyebrow raising mvs for their 180 grn rngc bullets in 357, has anyone matched this ? Reason I ask is over here in the UK we have a minimum muzzle energy for harvesting some of the deer and this round and their 158 grn load surpass it.
    Buffalo Bore chrono's various firearms for actual velocities. Most other use standard pressure barrels. I have only chrono'd a couple of their loads but the published velocities verse claims for that specific firearm and barrel length have been very accurate.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100

If you barrel is longer than 18 1/2 they used it will be faster.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Silvercreekfarmer, many thanks for that.
    Greg, 'tis a minimum muzzle energy requirement, 1000ft.lbs minimum m.e. for muntjac deer and chinese water deer, 1700 ft.lbs mnimum m.e. for the remainder of UK deer. It's slightly different in both Scotland and Northern Ireland and in all cases bullets that can expand and/or deform must be used.
    Buffalo Bore ammo, to my knowledge, isn't imported into the UK yet so the recipe in the link Silvercreek posted is helpful but, regrettably one has to provide makers evidence ie factory ammo and packaging.
    For me it's hypothetical really as I've given up on deer hunting for a couple of reasons and am selling my stalking rifle I just wanted to emulate the ammo in reloads. Fortunately the powder is REACH Compliant and available in the uk so I'll pick up a bottle next time I see some.

Boolit Master

braddock,
    just out of curiosity, what is your stalking rifle?

and Vihtavouri shows some speedy .357Mag load data on their website.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by braddock View Post
    Silvercreekfarmer, many thanks for that.
    Greg, 'tis a minimum muzzle energy requirement, 1000ft.lbs minimum m.e. for muntjac deer and chinese water deer, 1700 ft.lbs mnimum m.e. for the remainder of UK deer. It's slightly different in both Scotland and Northern Ireland and in all cases bullets that can expand and/or deform must be used.
    Buffalo Bore ammo, to my knowledge, isn't imported into the UK yet so the recipe in the link Silvercreek posted is helpful but, regrettably one has to provide makers evidence ie factory ammo and packaging.
    For me it's hypothetical really as I've given up on deer hunting for a couple of reasons and am selling my stalking rifle I just wanted to emulate the ammo in reloads. Fortunately the powder is REACH Compliant and available in the uk so I'll pick up a bottle next time I see some.
    I reread your post. I got it backwards. That makes sense now. Good luck on your reloads.

There is a YouTube video where the Buffalo Bore 357 load is recreated with Cast Performance 180’s and Lil Gun powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    braddock,
    just out of curiosity, what is your stalking rifle?

and Vihtavouri shows some speedy .357Mag load data on their website.

Ruger #1 in 308 win, most successful with speer 165 grn BTSP and latterly with 130 grn barnes tsx but they ain't cast.