RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Studded Snow Tires

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Studded Snow Tires

It’s been a long time since I had studded tires, but last year I decided to get some because, even though we don’t get much snow, we can have a lot of icy situations. We just changed them to summer tires and I noticed that they didn’t seem to have worn as much as the all terrain tires we normally use. The small utility van that my wife uses to go to markets to sell our cheese, does the same route and distance each year. Is it possible that studs help keeping the wear down?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Possible, but more likely the different rubber compounds used in the tires. Or the tread design itself. The all terrains may be of a softer compound to quiet road noise and “improve” grip.

Boolit Master
    It could also be that they are older tires that have set in inventory longer, and had time to cure and age longer. I try to keep certain agricultural tires on hand to age harden, because when new and soft they cut and puncture easily by crop stubble.

Boolit Master
    Zambonis have studded tires.
    If you try to turn a Zamboni too hard, too fast
    it will go through the hockey boards.

I didn't drive the thing, I fixed the boards.

Studs are great until you try to stop, and the ice wedges them off the road.
    It's four wheel drive, not four wheel stop.

If you think you need studs, you really need chains.
    I ran Blizzaks on my Tacoma, best tires I found for packed snow.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post

I can't disagree more. After this winter I'm getting studded tires. There's simply no comparison on ice. I have one of the best snow tires they make, but they still arent even ballpark what studs do.

Studs need a hard compound to stabilize them and keep then from being ejected. Many. MANY years ago we used to stud our own for ice racing on Lake Winnipesauki.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Snow is not the problem, it’s ice. Here winter temperatures often hover just above or below freezing. When there is snow in a day or two it turns to slush and then freezes hard. The studs really made a difference. Once I saw how the studs dug into the ice of our inclined driveway. Definitely getting them again this coming winter.

I had a lot of experience with chains. They are aren’t the right solution here. Can’t beat them in deep snow and sure they are good for ice, but as soon as you are on dry road, you need to quickly take them off. Back in Alaska I could go a lot of places four wheel drive with only snow tires couldn’t. I had two wheel posi traction and heavy duty chains and a good load. Chains are good for dirt roads turned to mud too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post

Totally disagree. We changed to studded tires every winter during all the decades we lived in Alaska. The braking advantage of the studded tires was a HUGE improvement over non studded tires.
    Have you actually ran a set of studded tires for a winter when the roads are icy?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Possible, but more likely the different rubber compounds used in the tires. Or the tread design itself. The all terrains may be of a softer compound to quiet road noise and “improve” grip.
    Probably this. What type do you have? I found Hakkapeliitta's to wear like iron. When we were driving on different road surfaces along with the snow and ice we always used sand treads.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The Finns do make the best winter tires, by far.
    Cognitive Dissident

If I think it's bad enough to need studded snow tires or chains I leave the vehicles parked. I'm too old and cranky for 'excitement' like that.

If they perfect the art of re-animating a corpse I might think about it. But it will probably be expensive with side effects.

I'm good with staying home.

Until you run out of groceries.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Part of living in the frozen north in rural areas is dealing with icy and snow-covered roads. Studded tires are superb for dealing with icy roads. When I lived in ND I ran the all the time. Can't do that in MN. The one thing to be aware of with studded tires is that you have greatly increased stopping abilities that most of the other drivers do not have.

I also have chains for when things get really tough. Mostly use for hunting in mud or snow. Some states have a 30 MPH limit when running chains. I have both front and rear chains for my 2002 Chevy 4X4. I've never put the fronts on. They are for emergencies only. Throwing a chain on the front of the 4X4 truck can get expensive really quickly. With just rear chains I blew the fog lights out three times from pushing snow while late season goose hunting. It would be more but I stopped replacing the fog lights. That will not be happening with my new truck. Tires are a different size so I will need to purchase a new set. Not sure if I will get ones for the front.

https://www.thecarpicks.com/best-tire-chain-reviews/

2. Disadvantages of Tire Chains
    2.1. Limits your speed
    Tire chains are amazing for road traction in conditions when only your normal tire doesn’t get good stability or grasp on the road. Whether this is due to snow, ice, mud, or rain, tire chains can help you avoid skidding and slipping. However, even though you’ll feel safer driving with tire chains, you will also be forced to slow down. The legal limit to driving with tire chains is 30 mph since anything faster than that can result in damage to the road, the chains, or your tires.

2.2. Higher fuel consumption
    If you have a pickup truck, the chances are that you are already upset at the high fuel consumption. You should know that your fuel consumption will go up when driving with tire chains. Not only are they a bit heavy, but the additional traction requires a bit of extra fuel to be burned. This is both expensive, and the opposite of eco-friendly.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-05-2023 at 06:29 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I read about snow tires, chains, studs, etc...... I don't know anything about them. I live South of I-10 here in Alabama for a reason. I don't like COLD!!!

Going up the Front Range on I-70 out of Denver they have pull-off areas specifically signed as "chain-up" sites. Law says you can't go further without chains during a declared snow emergency. I've seen snow like that in Michigan (drifts to the top of the tires), that my Cherokee just laughed at, and with plain Michelin all-weather tires at that. I've had enough, though. When I retired I moved South. To Ohio.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Until you run out of groceries.
    That's what big cabinets are for. Folks in remote regions have been doing it a long time. It's not that hard if you think ahead.

As a group people are stupid. Forecast calls for snow/ice.and.you can't find any toilet paper, milk, bread or eggs or gasoline anywhere. Never think a thing about what they'll do if the electricity is off for a week.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 04-05-2023 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    That's what big cabinets are for. Folks in remote regions have been doing it a long time. It's not that hard if you think ahead.
    True but that doesn't help when you have to go to work.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I've never considered going to work worth dying over. That company will survive without me.

What is the leading cause of premature death?

Auto accidents.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've never considered going to work worth dying over. That company will survive without me.

What is the leading cause of premature death?

Auto accidents.
    I considered going to work a better option than starving. In some cases/locations icy conditions last for weeks. If your state allows it studded tires are a great benefit. For the ranchers cattle have to be feed and or watered. That may require driving on icy blacktop. Staying home is not a realistic option for some.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-05-2023 at 09:05 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

I'll never starve. That's ridiculous to suggest. Might not eat what I want but starve? Not gonna happen. Ice or no ice. Some people just don't know how to deal with adversity.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast