MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1944 K98 DOT Mauser

1944 K98 DOT Mauser

Just picked this rifle up. Bore looks good. I have dies and (45) reloadable boxer cases. Wondering which gas check mold works well in this rifle. Mostly going to shoot 200 yard steel targets. A 165-190 bullet going out around 1800 fps works for me. thanks for your comments

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations! I have a 1943 DOT 98K that I use for cast bullet shooting and for CMP competition on the 100 yd. reduced targets. The 8x57 is a very easy cartridge to load for and it really responds to good cast bullet loads. I like the Lee 8mm mold with a bullet cast of wheel weights over 16 gr. of 2400 and a magnum primer. Standard primers will work though I get tighter groups when I use the mag. primer. I finish the load with a light crimp using a Lee crimp die. This a fun load with plenty of zip and accuracy for 200 yd. shooting. Enjoy!

Boolit Master

Lyman 323471 about 215 grs sized as large as you can. I shoot .324" in this bullet.

Or... I shoot 326-220-FN-P5 from a 4 cavity mold. Sized to .325" and shot in all my 8x57 rifles to include K98k.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...326-220-fn-p5/

Mauser Oberndorf 1940:

Boolit Master
    I have a NOE .325 - 216 gr mold that worked very well in almost all of my Mausers.
    I do powder coat the boolits.
    The two favorite loads were.
    21.5 of SR 4759
    And 29.0 of Reloader 7

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the lee mold.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee 175 mold also.
    It works really good.
    Those too get powder coated.
    Those I shoot mostly with 32.5 of Reloader 7

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a 1944 DOT 8mm that my Dad "liberated" when he was going through the Maginot Line. The only mold I have for it is an Ideal 321297. It casts around .324 and I run it through a .325 sizer to lube. With 28.0 to 30.0 grs of IMR-4895 it and a Yugo will shoot groups that the deer in my area don't like very much.

Boolit Master

I like my NOE 326-221-RN.
    It casts out at 215 gr with half lino and half WWs.

Boolit Master

Apologies, what is DOT? Not familiar with Mauser types, sorry.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    From my initial findings, these were produced at Brno, Czechoslovakia for the Germans.

Boolit Master

The Lee 324-175, PC'd and sized .325 loaded over 32.2 gr H4895 works very nicely in both my Yugo M48 and Turk M38. Off the bench, I can hold honest 3" groups (sometimes a little better) at 100 yds using original sights and raising the rear sight one notch will print center of mass on an IDPA steel target at 200.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    The Lee 324-175, PC'd and sized .325 loaded over 32.2 gr H4895 works very nicely in both my Yugo M48 and Turk M38. Off the bench, I can hold honest 3" groups (sometimes a little better) at 100 yds using original sights and raising the rear sight one notch will print center of mass on an IDPA steel target at 200.

Bill
    That’s exactly what I am looking for. I’ll probably use 2400 powder for my velocity goals and save my precious 4895 for my M1. My main range is 200 yards and we set up steel plates at 100 and 200. Got to shoot it for the first time yesterday with both some old Win. factory and some reloaded full power ammo with more kick. It shoots fine and while I can make the sight work, I really doubt I’ll try it in a CMP match when my 03A3 is such a tac driver.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39873BE2-57A8-4EFC-8EA7-96A6750F1292.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	312596

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    From my initial findings, these were produced at Brno, Czechoslovakia for the Germans.
    Produced By the Germans...Probably by Slave Labor... there are reasons that Czechoslovakia, and Belgium and Poland, were "Invaded" first... German NAZI's seemed to have had an Insatiable appetite for Military Equipment MFG facilities... the "code" were put on the firearms and Parts to denote point of MFG. supposed to be a Secret from rest of World!!! I guess
    Who would Not desire a VZ-24 or a Belgian FN 98, for that matter??? Problems occur a bit later in production years with Poor Quality... Ugly in fact... Check your Year
    Last edited by racepres; 04-05-2023 at 10:35 AM.

So I slugged my bore and at its widest, it’s .324. Again, all jacketed ammo shoots accurately. I am going to try Lee’s .324-175. And if it drops .325 or so, I’ll be satisfied. My plan is Lee tumble lube with a gas check. The gas check will be seated when I seat the bullet in the case as I don’t have a .325 sizer. Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Back in the day,the Czech rifles were judged on the postwar big triggerguard guns that had rough plywood stocks and pressed sheetmetal parts......they didnt stack up well gainst the then plentiful WW1 all machined and solid wood rifles from Danzig,Erfurt ,or Spandau.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Back in the day,the Czech rifles were judged on the postwar big triggerguard guns that had rough plywood stocks and pressed sheetmetal parts......they didnt stack up well gainst the then plentiful WW1 all machined and solid wood rifles from Danzig,Erfurt ,or Spandau.
    Yea... all Munitions plants under German control were spitting out Crap by late war...Running out of Raw materials, and Slave Labor...
    I would Never consider a DOT nor DOU as Czech Guns... None of them!!!!

Boolit Master

I have the Lee 185gr, Lyman 323470 about 165gr and this one https://www.mp-molds.com/product/8mm...4-cavity-mold/ all shoot but the MP is a hunting design. The MP mold feeds very well. Do your self a favor and get a form and trim die. This will allow you to transform 30-06 and 270 brass into 8mm Mauser brass. Also a chop saw from Harbor freight and a 8mm Mauser jig from ebay and you can crank out some brass. Any questions PM me. Great gun and very fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    Germany was very secretive about their war production plants and used codes to designate various locations. I copied this info from one of the NRA sites….

Manufacturers Codes on German Military Mausers*
    S/42 Mauser-Werke, A.-G.,
    42 Obendorf a./N.
    660 Steyr-Daimler-Puch, A.-G., Steyr, Austria
    945 Waffenwerke Bruenn, A.-G., Brno, Czechoslovakia
    ar Mauser-Werke, A.-G., Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm
    ax Feinmechanische Werke, G.m.b.H., Erfurt, Altonaerstr. 25
    bcd Gustloff Werke, Werk Weimar, Weimar
    bnz Steyr-Daimler –Puch, A.-G., Werk Steyr, Steyr, Austra
    byf Mauser-Werke, A.-G., Oberndorf a./N.
    ce J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    dot Waffenwerke Bruenn, A.-G., Brno, Czechoslovakia
    dou Waffenwerke Bruenn, A.-G., Werk Bystrica
    duv Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabriken, Werk Luebeck
    svw Mauser-Werke, A.-G., (late code) Oberndorf a./N.

*Several number codes and a few letter codes are not shown since their meanings are unknown or uncertain.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I have the Lee 185gr, Lyman 323470 about 165gr and this one https://www.mp-molds.com/product/8mm...4-cavity-mold/ all shoot but the MP is a hunting design. The MP mold feeds very well. Do your self a favor and get a form and trim die. This will allow you to transform 30-06 and 270 brass into 8mm Mauser brass. Also a chop saw from Harbor freight and a 8mm Mauser jig from ebay and you can crank out some brass. Any questions PM me. Great gun and very fun to shoot.
    A friend of mine did that but I’ll have 50 correct marked brass and that will be enough for awhile. I’ll pic up small lots at gun shows to maybe have 100 and I’ll be set. I’m a stickler for correct marked brass. My gas checks and mold should be here today or tomorrow and I see that unique will get me 1600 FPS so that’s what I’ll try first.

So, as I am working load development with this rifle and Lee 323-175 GC bullet and pushing the front sight, I have 3 shots around the X ring on a 100 yard target with the ladder sight at the 4 mark. So about a 1” 3 shot group with open sights of the K98. 14 grains 700X and maybe 1600 fps. Easy on the shoulder and cheap to shoot. I’ll try to get a pic of the group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast