MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple Finance Software

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    I use an open-source, free program called HomeBank. http://homebank.free.fr/en/
    It will run on Windows, MacOS, or even linux if you like. I just use it for my home checking account so nothing too difficult. I import statements that I download from my bank for reconciliation, but there is nothing in here that automatically pays bills for you. I do pay all the bills I can online, but not through automatic payments as I have been stung my share of times on failed cancellations and slick auto-renewals. I have used this software for about five years. It isn't fool proof, but it gets the job done.
    I've been using it for a while, and it's a good program.
    Maybe there is something better, but it works for me. But nowadays there are a lot of different types of software, and I'm sure that there will be something, but you know, you have to try it, and so on. I prefer asking for recommendations to be sure that it will work for me. I'm very interested in technologies, finance, banking and so on, and I found this page of the company called DashDevs, which provided me with some info about open banking solution, and I found more info about it. I knew it in general terms, but now I know more, and I think having it is beneficial for some institutions.
    Last edited by marklarson; 03-24-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Honestly, I don't see a need to complicate personal finances with computers. I mean paying bills and keeping up with checking and income sources. I have a box that new bills are placed in until they are paid. I pay them using handwritten checks and the checkbook log shows the amount and who was paid. When the bill box is empty, all my bills are paid. What more could you need?

I kept up with finances all my working years in an Excel spreadsheet so I could stay on top of managing for retirement and knowing when I had enough to retire. I don't need such detail records now since I know what I have, how much it's earning and what I am receiving from the investments monthly now. I think you can make this all too complicated if you aren't careful.

Boolit Master
    I was doing some research on the offerings mentioned here and found this, If you have Mint you better find a new program, fast!! They are closing the program out in a couple weeks. I stopped looking at Mint as soon as I saw they were owned by Intuit.

https://www.thecut.com/article/mint-...ting-apps.html

Boolit Master
    what ever happened to
    count the bills, fold them, put them in your pocket, when there are too many for the pocket put them in the milk can buried out back, and repeat

Boolit Master

I use a local book keeping service. They have read only access to my bank accounts. When I write a check, I take a picture of it and message it to the bookkeeper. It takes 20 minutes to get ready to visit the CPA for tax returns and planning.

Moderator Emeritus

Gnu Cash is a free program from Germany that lets you keep track of money. It requires that you download and enter your own transactions but you can have a dozen sub accounts and monitor bonds and CD's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    OP, I use an excel spreadsheet to track my finances. I have one tab for the checking account that I manage like a check register. I use colors to mark projected, pending and completed transactions. I set up the checking account tab for a six month period and it also works as a budget and forecast. Other tabs track the savings, retirement and investment accounts.
    I'm not comfortable with the online sites/programs that have access to all of my accounts/usernames/passwords.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12