WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Harvesting lead from typewriters

Harvesting lead from typewriters

Do all typewriters (up through the electric word processor types) contain linotype?

I'm not going to scrap a 1920s Smith Corona but if the 1980s electric machines have lino... I'll do it.

If I remember right, the IBM electrics that used a ball for the type, the ball was plastic.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

I don’t think there is any lead at all in typewriters.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

The individual letters are soldered onto the steel levers that swing up to type a letter.
    It'd take a lot of work to get the tea spoon or so of solder out of a old typewriter..... but it can be done!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Linotype metal was used in the old letterpress casting machines which produced one column line width of type at a time, which were stacked to make newspaper and magazine copy. The process was replaced by offset lithography in the 1960s.

I am still using linotype metal salvaged when the Washington Evening Star went under.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If there’s any lead in a typewriter, it wouldn’t be much. Better to search elsewhere.

Best to preserve those typewriters. we may need them someday.
    Cognitive Dissident

Manual word processers without all the bells and whistles. OK, maybe they have the bell.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I scrapped several of those old, old, OLD manual and electric typewriters I found on my property when I moved here They were huge and they were heavy! But most of the weight was the motor, and the cast iron frame. I think the 5 horsepower motor on my compressor now is smaller than the 1/4 horse or whatever they were was on those typewriters weighed. Each typewriter was well over 100lbs.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1928 Smith Corona. It is invaluable for writing my untraceable manifestos and epic novels. I can assure you that if there's any lead in it at all, it would be less than a tiny fishing sinker. There is a special place in Hell for people that destroy nice old things for the momentary gain of a trinket: (not you Rickf1985 - I'm talking about other people) it's called the "Spilling dollars to pick up nickles" department. Anything that's nearly 100 years old and still works has a special value all its own.

Boolit Master

I've worked for a few companies that would 'spend a dollar to save a dime' and b**** about the 90 cents they lost in the process.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Best to preserve those typewriters. we may need them someday.
    If things keep going the way they are, we most likely will.

Boolit Master
    GONRA agrees - BUT SEZ "lottsa phun finding ribbons"? ???

Boolit Grand Master

I think you missed April Fools Day.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I have a 1928 Smith Corona. It is invaluable for writing my untraceable manifestos and epic novels. I can assure you that if there's any lead in it at all, it would be less than a tiny fishing sinker. There is a special place in Hell for people that destroy nice old things for the momentary gain of a trinket: (not you Rickf1985 - I'm talking about other people) it's called the "Spilling dollars to pick up nickles" department. Anything that's nearly 100 years old and still works has a special value all its own.
    Yea, these were outside half buried for probably 25 years when I found them. I was not even sure what they were at first and a buddy kicked the dirt off of one and said it looks like a typewriter. So I pressure washed it off and sure enough you could see the keys and the arms, All rusted but you could tell what they were. I actually did not scrap them for money, I just needed to clean up the yard. I gave them to the junkyard I always dealt with since they were always good to me. There are probably more of them buried out there but I am not digging for them unless I have to dog for something else and run into them.

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others have said, Linotype is from an entirely different process. I don't know of any lead in typewriters. If you want Linotype it comes up for sale in the Swapping and Selling section occasionally.

Boolit Master
    sorta along the line...years ago when those newfangled office computers were getting popular I was working for Burroughs Computers and one of my jobs was to take the traded-in mechanical comptometers, adding machines and such to the local dump and beat them to death with sledges so they didn't turn up at garage sales. Now I still see them in antique stores.
    Loren