Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Your MP357-125-HP Pet Loads

Boolit Master

Your MP357-125-HP Pet Loads

I thought it might be nice to have a thread with members current favorite loads for the MP357-125-HP. Or even the NOE equivalent, since there seems to be a few versions of this boolit out there.

Personally I use this in 9mm and 38spl. My two favorite loads are below. The 38spl load is VERY accurate in my 38 snubbies. But has a lot of flash. The 9mm load is very accurate and probably about 1050fps from stand 4” guns.

38spl
    5.0gr Unique
    Generic SP Primer
    OAL 1.510” w/ heavy crimp

9mm
    4.5gr Unique
    Generic SP Primer
    OAL 1.110”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jdgabbard; 04-03-2023 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Adding information.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

For 9x19 I use 4.3 grains of Auto Comp and 5.5 of Power Pistol.

For 38 Special I use 5 grains of Trail Boss or 6.5 grains of AutoComp.

Boolit Master
    Surely with the multiple group buys of this boolit and it's variations there are more than two of us that load for it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

I have the NLG version, and they come out at 135 grains with my alloy. I worked up to 4.4 grains of unique. It is a great load. COL is 1.085”.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

5.0gr of wst makes bugholes in targets @ 50ft with this bullet in a nm 1911 chambered in 9mm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I have the NLG version, and they come out at 135 grains with my alloy. I worked up to 4.4 grains of unique. It is a great load. COL is 1.085”.
    I am assuming that the 135gr is without using the HP pins, correct? How hot is that 4.4gr at that weight? My Penta pins drop at about 127gr, and 4.5gr is moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    5.0gr of wst makes bugholes in targets @ 50ft with this bullet in a nm 1911 chambered in 9mm.
    It definitely shoots better than I do if I do my part at the reloading bench. A very accurate design for sure.

These are cast of Lyman #2 alloy and coated with Ford light blue by Eastwood. They are the last of the ones I have handloaded with Power Pistol.

[QUOTE=jdgabbard;5560865]I am assuming that the 135gr is without using the HP pins, correct? How hot is that 4.4gr at that weight? My Penta pins drop at about 127gr, and 4.5gr is moderate.

This is with the lg hp pin. My alloy is 50/50 +2% tin. I size them to .358”. I was looking for a load that would shoot accurately, and function well in all of my 9mm’s. I started at 3.8, and went as high as 4.6. I didn’t have any pressure issues, but at 4.6, it would leave a small amount of lead behind in one of my barrels. At 4.0, it started getting more accurate, and kept getting better the higher I went. It is fairly moderate. I haven’t chrono’ed it. This was several years ago.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Wheelguns 1961;5560895]
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I am assuming that the 135gr is without using the HP pins, correct? How hot is that 4.4gr at that weight? My Penta pins drop at about 127gr, and 4.5gr is moderate.

This is with the lg hp pin. My alloy is 50/50 +2% tin. I size them to .358”. I was looking for a load that would shoot accurately, and function well in all of my 9mm’s. I started at 3.8, and went as high as 4.6. I didn’t have any pressure issues, but at 4.6, it would leave a small amount of lead behind in one of my barrels. At 4.0, it started getting more accurate, and kept getting better the higher I went. It is fairly moderate. I haven’t chrono’ed it. This was several years ago.
    Wow, that is a little heavier than the Standard Lube Groove version. But I agree, it tends to shoot better the heavier the load. I have found that I do not get leading, but I do get what can best be described as PC smearing in the barrel. It comes right out with a bore brush, doesn't build up, and doesn't affect accuracy. Think about the debris you get from sharpening a green stick on a rock...it's kinda like that... But it is interesting to note the difference between using Lubed Boolits and the PC boolits in the 9mm.

I think that the reason for the leading was probably an imperfect barrel. The gun was a ruger sr9c. It was just a trace. Since it didn’t happen with the 4.4 grain load, and that load shot very good, I just decided to leave well enough alone. Most of my 9mm shooting is now from a 5” ruger sr1911. Shown here with my model 25

My 125HP bullets cast from my alloy weighs 123.5 grains.

They are delightful to shoot in my Ruger Blackhawk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230413_155442.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	312939
    Seems like we are all finding the same performance window of ~4.5gr Unique or equivalent burn rate.
    I've been loading the NLG version with either 4.5gr Autocomp or CFE Pistol interchangeably as a standard 9mm load. Hovering right about 1000fps from a P365XL (AutoComp above). Gel test done yesterday. Green are 20:1, Blue low antimony with tin (SWAG ~2% antimony ~2% tin)