Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Head Vee by Ford Motor Company

Boolit Master

Flat Head Vee by Ford Motor Company

Wish I had a flathead V12 with Offenhauser heads and an Edelbrock 3 duces manifold and the 1948 Lincoln-Zephyr to go with it. A 1950 Mercury Monterey (eight) with suicide doors would also be nice if it had the Offenhauser heads and Edelbrock 3 duces manifold. Either would get you to church in style and with speed.

Boolit Master
    “Like”

Boolit Master
    In 1972 I was in college in one of the calmer schools in East TN. One afternoon I stopped at a local market/store and saw an old wooden garage beside the store building. When I took a look inside that garage I found a late 40's - early 50's sedan with the traditional flathead Ford v-8 engine wearing a tri-power manifold plus a few other added accessories on the engine. The store owner claimed their son had used this car for dirt track racing buy feel out of love with the sport. The son had drifted away from the family and could not be found, so buying the ride was not possible. All this inspired me as my first "owned" vehicle was a 1949 Club Coupe with a flathead V-8 that I out-grew. Lost of happy memories of my first car.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to have a Pontiac 2+2 with three two barrels. They called it Tri Power. It looked really cool, but when I replaced it with a more modern four barrel, it ran just as good if not better and got better mileage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Wish I had a flathead V12 with Offenhauser heads and an Edelbrock 3 duces manifold and the 1948 Lincoln-Zephyr to go with it. A 1950 Mercury Monterey (eight) with suicide doors would also be nice if it had the Offenhauser heads and Edelbrock 3 duces manifold. Either would get you to church in style and with speed.
    '50 Merc, Always been my "dream machine" also. Chopped, channeled and shaved, fender skirts, big moon hub caps,...painted a deep, dark, purple! Oh baby!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09e9cd32fd375149171b00c82a1fa133-700.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	312484

Boolit Master
    I love the sound of the Ford flathead V-8. Nothing else sounds like one. The one in my 1945 pickup, yes it really is a 1945 model, is the 59-AB version, optimistically rated at 100 HP. I deviated from stock slightly by replacing the crank with the newer 8-BA crank, so I could use insert bearings, and boring it to .060 over to clean up the ridge. In other words just about stock. I'm too old for a hotrod. It's as reliable as the sunrise.

Name:	Washington run 001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	312486
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Started my life as a mechanic with an engine swap from a 49 Merc to a 46 Ford. I went through 9 cars in my 1st 2years of driving which included 3 more flathead V8's, a 49,50 Ford and a 51 Mercury. All were $25 to $50 cars except the 51 Merc, paid $150 for that one. Lucky I survived.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Ah yes, the days of the $35 car

37 ford with the twin water pumps on the heads had inset main bearings. Still had the front distributor and fiber timing gear. Stock 49 (mom's) would do 98 by speedo in the quarter (as long as you locked out the overdrive). But 18 secs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Love the sound of the flat-head V8's and the "whine" of the old standard transmissions!

My dad said in his younger days he owned a '39 Ford with a 2-speed rear-end. He told me it really worked good in these WV mountains.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

Name:	09e9cd32fd375149171b00c82a1fa133-700.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	312484
    Really cool Looks like it’s ready for outer space.

Vendor Sponsor

Me and my drinkin' buddy bought a '56 Chevy 4dr for $150 and couldn't get a title for it so we took it to the woods, knocked the glass out of it and ran it knocking down saplings and brush until it ran out of gas. We would take a gas can and a battery and some beer and go hit the woods. That ol' thing was a TON of fun! Last time we went, somebody had turned it over and burned it.

I learned a GOOD damn lesson with that car, we had it up on concrete blocks, wheels off and I had just crawled out from under it and BAM the blocks gave way and it settled onto the broken blocks. Lesson to self: Self, NEVER get under a vehicle on concrete blocks! I was all of about 16.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    In 1972 I was in college in one of the calmer schools in East TN. One afternoon I stopped at a local market/store and saw an old wooden garage beside the store building. When I took a look inside that garage I found a late 40's - early 50's sedan with the traditional flathead Ford v-8 engine wearing a tri-power manifold plus a few other added accessories on the engine. The store owner claimed their son had used this car for dirt track racing buy feel out of love with the sport. The son had drifted away from the family and could not be found, so buying the ride was not possible. All this inspired me as my first "owned" vehicle was a 1949 Club Coupe with a flathead V-8 that I out-grew. Lost of happy memories of my first car.
    Sounds like son was in the pen for running moonshine.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Me and my drinkin' buddy bought a '56 Chevy 4dr for $150 and couldn't get a title for it so we took it to the woods, knocked the glass out of it and ran it knocking down saplings and brush until it ran out of gas. We would take a gas can and a battery and some beer and go hit the woods. That ol' thing was a TON of fun! Last time we went, somebody had turned it over and burned it.

I learned a GOOD damn lesson with that car, we had it up on concrete blocks, wheels off and I had just crawled out from under it and BAM the blocks gave way and it settled onto the broken blocks. Lesson to self: Self, NEVER get under a vehicle on concrete blocks! I was all of about 16.
    Don't trust Harbor Freight jack stands either! Friend was under his Ford Explorer that was up on those when 2 failed, the metal just sheared off the serrated post. I had shoved old tires under each back brake rotor as a safety catch. Thumped his chest pretty hard and broke a couple rubs but didn't crush him. They are supposedly rated for 5 tons each... yeah right!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Love the sound of the flat-head V8's and the "whine" of the old standard transmissions!

My dad said in his younger days he owned a '39 Ford with a 2-speed rear-end. He told me it really worked good in these WV mountains.
    We called the 2 speed rear end a " columbia" Butt.

Good Shooting

Lindy

remnants

my remnants of 6 decades at ford + Lincoln Mercury dealers - never owned one, but sold tons of parts for them + worked on a few -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Who would think there were so many people out there with flatheads in their life. I would bet many also know what a flat top was, not a Navy ship.

never a flat top, but i did have a DA for awhile -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    never a flat top, but i did have a DA for awhile -
    Had a flat top many, many years ago but gave it up for the modern and sleeker chrome dome look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast