Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: had a brainstorm

Boolit Master

had a brainstorm

Or maybe it was a brain fart, they sound the same these days. I started loading for 475 yesterday on a 650 Dillon and so far I managed to get two different cases stuck inside two different RCBS sizing dies.

Anyhow, I've got a singe stage Rockchucker going unused and wonder if it can be used to pull cases out of dies and also used to separate loaded ammo. I bet there's more than enough pressure if someone makes an adapter.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Get or make a stuck case remover.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

Talking

If you are using the Dillon case lube you have to let the cases dry (Alcohol evaporate) or you will get cases stuck in the dies.

Boolit Master
    They may as well be welded in there. The rockchucker had the perfect size shell plate and with all my weight on it they didn't budge. I've loaded from 32-20 to 454 casull and never saw anything quite like this.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have all your weight on the handle...you are pressing the shell further in! You need to be lifting the handle to be pulling it out. And they, RCBS as well as others, do sell stuck case pullers. The RCBS ver requires drilling and tapping the primer pocket to facilitate removal...

In Remembrance

Or drill and tap the primer hole to 5/16, choose a 3/8 drive socket that will fit easily over the base of the stuck case, then use a 5/16 bolt long enough to reach through the socket and have enough threads to extend through the web of the case before pressure is applied. Tighten with a wrench to pull the case, which will probably release after 1/8 inch of travel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Or drill and tap the primer hole to 5/16, choose a 3/8 drive socket that will fit easily over the base of the stuck case, then use a 5/16 bolt long enough to reach through the socket and have enough threads to extend through the web of the case before pressure is applied. Tighten with a wrench to pull the case, which will probably release after 1/8 inch of travel.
    There's my project for tomorrow. What would be a good substitute for case lube? Everyone is out of it locally because gun owners lose their minds at election time. My first choice didn't work so well.

My brother in law is using synthetic motor oil and it works well for him. I, personnally think it leaves the cases too slippery after resizing. He is using a single stage, though. He can wipe them before priming. As he says. It's cheap and will last forever.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master
    I tapped it to 1/4" and it worked like a champ and then got some loaded that were trimmed 45-70 cases. The big rim worked much better than the BBA brass I started with.