Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tea question

Boolit Master

tea question

right now i am using about 1 tablespoon (a little less) of rishi brand earl grey tea in a large tea bag. i can't seem to get it strong enough to suite me. shouldn't need more than i am using. 10 years ago i used the same and it had plenty of flavor. maybe my taste buds are failing. anyway, any recomendations for a strong tea. there are hundreds out there; and i don't want any exoctic stuff, just a lot of flavor. how about english or irish breakfast, or________??

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I get loose Ceylon BOP from San Francisco Herb Co. About $10 per pound. Very similar to that served in the mess on British Royal Navy ships. A fine ground, full bodied black tea which stands up well to adding milk and of the same variety commonly used for making chai. After the first Dog Watch I spike mine with a tot of the Pusser's rum.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Lapsang Souchoung is a very good, strong black tea with a smoky taste - I've been drinking it for over 50 years. Earl Grey seems to vary from source to source.

Moderator Emeritus

Dollar store Black tea in tea bags. 100 bags for a buck an quarter. I use two bags per 10 oz cup of tea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I like a strong cup of tea and usually get Irish Breakfast Tea from Mark Wendell Co.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use two tea bags in a large mug. As got used to tea like it stronger and with plenty of lemon.

Use boiling hot water when brewing and leaving it in the hot water longer should make it stronger.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Master
    i've did all of the above. ordered several kinds from moteray tea co

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    right now i am using about 1 tablespoon (a little less) of rishi brand earl grey tea in a large tea bag. i can't seem to get it strong enough to suite me. shouldn't need more than i am using. 10 years ago i used the same and it had plenty of flavor. maybe my taste buds are failing. anyway, any recomendations for a strong tea. there are hundreds out there; and i don't want any exoctic stuff, just a lot of flavor. how about english or irish breakfast, or________??
    Irish and Scottish breakfasts will be bolder than the English Breakfast. Any of the "Breakfasts" will be robust enough to be where you might be looking. Ceylon is also an option. Lapsong Souchong is strong, though some might find the smoke off putting. Russian Caravan is an option here. Robust, not quite as smoky as it's blended with Oolong.

If you want a stronger tea, add more tea. Don't lengthen the time of the steep. If you oversteep, you are extracting more of the astringent tannins and the bitterness isn't as pleasant.
    -Paul

Can't say I'm picky though most all are good enough. Could blame my tea tastes on the London girl I met June 29th of '73 (made an impression on me) but it was my decision to stay with her for five years.

Moderator Emeritus

porthos -- It is interesting to me that the tea bag was purportedly an accident! Merchants would wrap their different teas in fabric satchels, and by happenstance -- some folks immersed them in hot water and the Tea bag" was discovered/invented . When I was in the UK, it was spelled out clearly to me that tea brewing can be an art/science. While many of the homes I had the privilege to visit had a pot brewing "forever" -- new leaves just added, with I'd imagine (never looked ) perhs afew cm's of sludge at bottom, but the brew was quite tasty. But what intrigued me were the "high class" restaurants who maintained that the water need be "99 degrees" (this in Celsius -- one degree below boiling) and brewed just the right duration to maximize flavour. (My wife drops a Red Rose brand teabag in a cup, adds some boiling water, and upon it being drinkable "cool-ness" -- she's happy!)
    Anyhoos -- perhaps your water is not hot enough, or your steep time's a tad too short? Regardless, I hope you find the solution to your problem. As they said in Northumbria: "What cheer! Joy your jar of tay!"

Boolit Master
    I used to drink earl grey, twinings, but im now hooked on Publix brand tea bags, it's a long drive to get it so I just stock up when I do get to a Publix. anyway when I want it strong I use one of the giant tea bags that is intended for making a pitcher of iced tea for one large mug full, steeped 6 or 7 minutes after pouring boiling water into the large bass pro shop mug, about a tablespoon of honey, thats how it been doing it lately. if not wanting it super strong I use two regular tea bags.

Agree with post #3 Lapsang Souchoung is one of my favorites. Tea is dried over a smoky fire, has smoky or tarry elements. A real man's tea.

For just general drinking I like Ceylon Orange Pekoe from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is very smooth, mellow.

I have discovered that Chamomile tea can quiet the dragon in my bowels.
    For the last year I have been suffering from terrible cramps + explosive diarrhea 3 to 5 days a week. The Chamomile stops the cramps with the first 2 or 3 sips. Allows things to settle down to where I can read, nap, etc.

Oolong while light on flavor is good for your high blood pressure. As it is one of my wife's favorites I have been drinking more of it lately.

But if you really want flavor, try Chai Tea.

Essentially it is "Tea" in Indian.

I can recomend this, not tooo strong, a little sugar, a half teaspon of creamer and it is pretty good.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Check your local plants. I have bergamot growing wild on my property, and you could make it as strong as you can stand! It's the flavor you get in the Earl Grey.
    https://www.britannica.com/plant/bergamot
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have tried a few different teas and finally settled on Bigelow Earl Grey. I drink too many cups every day for the last 30+ years...by too many I mean in excess of 6 cups or more per day.

Boolit Master
    I drink tea instead of coffee - both hot and cold. I start with a hot cup in the morning and drink tea all day long, and it's usually the last thing I have before going to bed.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have time to brew it look up Turkish tea and fallow the directions. you can order Turkish tea on line for about $15.00 a kilo.

No need to complicate it. I usually use a bag of Earl Grey and a bag of English Breakfast in my mug with a bit of honey.
    The bags stay in it until I'm done drinking it

We got some huckleberry tea a couple years ago and it was very good.

In another life, an ex-Greek Orthodox priest and then, coffee-shop owner, once told me, "Paul, always leave a little room for luxury." Meaning, a good cup of Greek coffee (or Turkish, or espresso, etc.), is not a bad thing to work in, among the vices. Never touched coffee growing up but got hooked on good coffee during college, pulling too many all-nighter study or writing ordeals. And I've been hooked ever since. Go insane hearing "coconut oil-saffron-steeped-caramel orangenello, light organic yak milk 2/3 foam, 1/3 steamed milk, AOC regional small-batch turbinado fast-crystal, and Maltese bamboo stirrer. Please."

But good, strong, deep coffee.....man, look forward to it in the morning. Much the same for good tea, though I hardly drink it. Better than a lot of other money- and time-drains, to this guy anyway.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Supposedly half your taste buds are dead by the time your 50yrs old.
    Considering how much pepper and other spices I use, I tend to believe it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast