Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: .45 Colt How fast is TOO Fast???

.45 Colt How fast is TOO Fast???

How fast can you push a 250 Cowboy Pwder Coated .45 Colt?
    Using a Rossi 16" Carbine,
    Found 2Lbs. SR4756.

Most of my 8.0 Unique are moving at 1043 FPS.
    7.0 WSL 1070 fps

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Boolit Grand Master

Too fast is when you get leading, decline in accuracy or you exceed the safe pressure limits of the firearm you are using. The Rossi 92 is chambered 454 Casull so leading or accuracy will be your limiting factor.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

-- delete --

See https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...80/post-952356
    That was conventional lube -- PC at least that and (much) more.
    Pressure/chamber will be your limit

Boolit Master
    I know its a different cartridge but my favorite 32-20 load using the Lyman 115 grain flat point does 1,280 ft/sec. I use Clip on Wheel weights air-cooled and lubed with whatever happens to be in my RCBS lube/sizer. It never leads and I don't recall ever cleaning the bore. I have no idea how much more velocity I could get without leading and I'll probably never know since I like the load as it is.

I had one of those rifles, and pushed it way beyond what is prudent. It never complained. It's easy to exceed factory 44 mag energy with it. I don't recommend that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Too fast is when you get leading, decline in accuracy or you exceed the safe pressure limits of the firearm you are using. The Rossi 92 is chambered 454 Casull so leading or accuracy will be your limiting factor.
    What he said.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    True what you said, but since he's using a 45 Colt with 45 Colt brass wouldn't he lower those loads some from 454 loads with 454 brass since it's a much stronger case? Rossi's have tighter chambers then Winchester 94's in 45 Colt and if you fire hot loads in the Winchester you get a very swelled case at the web area. My Winchester Trapper in 45 Colt and three other friends I know say the same thing.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.leverguns.com/articles/p...ltlevergun.htm

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My 1873 Winchester clone has a favorite load. It is a 265 gr rnfp cast hard and powder coated with Unique powder. I push it at 1150 fps. It groups in less than 1 inch at 50 yards. I think that is more than accurate and powerful enough for deer. The two I've hit with it so far have both dropped dead in their tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman54 View Post
    How fast can you push a 250 Cowboy Pwder Coated .45 Colt?
    Using a Rossi 16" Carbine,
    Found 2Lbs. SR4756.

Most of my 8.0 Unique are moving at 1043 FPS.
    7.0 WSL 1070 fps

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out
    OK
    This is My Load I tested.
    10.5 SR4756 w/ a 250 Pwdr Coated Cowboy Commerical Boolit.
    My Lyman #45 Listed 9.0 to 12.5 Top Velocity using 12.5 Posted 951 FPS

I loaded 10.5gr. with Ten shells, Using Herters, and GFL Brass 1X, they worked Fine, no signs of pressure.

I AVG. 1217.50 FP, Using my Caldwell Chrono was OVER what was in the Manual, I Panned each Charge as I do when testing a Load, Using a Dillon Electronic Scale.

Grouping was good, No Leading in Barrel, yes they Popped, but I installed a Butt pad, it worked well also, 1st time using it.
    Tired of using my Highpower Coat to shoot this Rifle, made it more enjoyable to shoot

My Plan is to Load 10.0, and 9.5 Next Time out.

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just find your most accurate load, and shoot that. If you want to push it faster to make it shoot flatter, you need to increase velocity around 300 feet per second to make much difference, and that difference isn't really all that usable to the average shooter, considering the small gain.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Waksupi,

I hear you
    Not a Speed Demon I always go for Best Group, adj accordingly..

Only had so many Boolits to do a Ladder Test, just surprised how fast they were going, compared to what the book said?
    I use the loads in my Bisley.45, and have to watch what I put in my S&W 25-7.

Will make sure they are not that HOT again.

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Boolit Master
    That 265 gr. RNFP @ 1150 f/s sounds like a very happy combination. In MY '92 Rossi, using Missouri PC'd 250 gr. RNFP, I exceeded 1500 f/s with no sticky extraction nor erratic or worrisome velocities, before I saw ANY primer/pressure signs (which were noticeable, but also far from worrisome). I started at 18.5/2400/250 gr. RNFP, which is not much different than the original Keith load. I worked up from there into the "John Taffin" zone. I quit working up when I overshot 1500 f/s.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!