Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bleeding dog

Boolit Buddy

bleeding dog

I get home from work today, and my wife tells me the dog was bleeding from ears, nose, mouth and his back end. She took the dog to the vet and the vets said she believed the dog ate a toad or frog and it had ill effects. Never heard of this.

That sounds to me like a dog that's been run over by something in its midsection....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I have a friend who hauls plants out of Florida. His dog sampled a frog that dang near killed him. Similar symptoms.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Hope your pup is ok. Hope hes a big dog. I had a 150lb newfinland who ate a whole chocolate cake once. Lips and tongue turned dark purple. We said our goodbyes but after 3 days he snapped out of it and lived another 4 or 5 years. Only reason he survived is because he was big. Any smaller and he would have been a goner for sure.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

What kind of frogs are thy getting ? Or is it any kind of frog.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Snake bite ?

Boolit Master
    Could he have eaten a large quantity of rat poison? I have heard they can't eat enough to kill a pet, but may thin their blood to cause those symptoms. I'm not a vet, so just a guess.

Boolit Master
    our english mastiff gobbled down a large toad one time darn near turned her inside out droolin and slobberin and barfin all over the place, finale was when she collapsed and started to have seizures, as we pulled into the Vets yard up came a VERY disfigured lump of flesh that the Vet figured was a toad in a few moments totally recovered. I would be suspicious that yours has probably gobbled down something that has been poisoned like a mouse, squirrel or the like your pet needs some medical attention

Boolit Master

Let's us know if your furry friend is all right....I surely hope so!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Bufo Toads. Really bad news for dogs or any animal that comes in contact with them including humans. I have killed many.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bufo...client=gws-wiz

Moderator Emeritus

Posting a location in your sign on helps diagnose stuff like this.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for all the replies. I am in north texas near wichita falls. My wife did rush the dog to the vet. The vet ruled out snake bite as she thinks it too cold still. My dog is doing fine now. The frog/toad makes since as we only see them after we have had rain, and it had been raining. When I was a kid when a dog got ahold of a toad he would foam and drool at the mouth. Kodi (my dog) is a back yard breader version of a pit, he is well over 100 pounds. His size and ability to swallow large chunks of food may have be his downfall. I hope he has learned his lesson.

Boolit Master
    The common southern toad, all of my dogs give it wide berth. Normally my three if it is not a reptile, anything small is investigated, molested, and then likely eaten.
    One day one of my dogs when it was younger was just frothing at the mouth. It was a southern toad. About bleeding I do not know about. I might suspect rat poison, but a good vet should have tested for that.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...soning-in-dogs
    What is toad poisoning?

Toad poisoning occurs when a dog is exposed to toxins secreted by certain species of toads. In the Unites States, exposure to most toads causes only mild signs with licking or ingesting most toads resulting in drooling, vomiting and oral irritation.

Two species of toads in the Unites States can cause severe poisoning—the cane toad and the Colorado River/Sonoran Desert toad. Licking or ingesting one of these toads can cause life threatening signs. The cane toad (Rhinella marina) may also be known as the bufo toad due its former genus name (formerly Bufo marinus). The cane toad is typically found in Florida, Texas, Hawaii, Louisiana and other tropical areas. These toads are very large, between 6 to 9 inches long.

The Colorado River or Sonoran Desert toad (Incilius alvarius) is found in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas. This toad is also very large, growing up to 7.5 inches long.

Although dogs are more likely to be exposed to poisonous toads, cats have also been reported to develop poisoning. Encounters with toads are more common in the rainy season (March-September) when breeding occurs. Toads are most active after a rainfall or during dawn, dusk and nighttime.
    What causes toad poisoning?

Toads secrete toxic substances through glands on their skin. These substances are secreted in higher amounts when the toad feels threatened. When a toad is licked or eaten, absorption of these toxic substances through the mouth, open wounds or other mucous membranes results in poisoning. Toads are poisonous at all stages of life, including the tadpoles and eggs. Even drinking water from a bowl in which a toad was sitting or pond water containing eggs can result in poisoning.
    What are the clinical signs of toad poisoning?

Within minutes of licking or ingesting a toad, drooling and frothing at the mouth occur. The gums may become very red and signs of pain, including pawing at the mouth or vocalizing, may be seen. Vomiting and diarrhea are common. Signs typically progress rapidly to include stumbling, tremors, seizures, abnormal eye movements, difficulty breathing, increased or decreased heart rate and abnormal heart rhythms. Without rapid treatment, death may occur.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    thanks for all the replies. I am in north texas near wichita falls. My wife did rush the dog to the vet. The vet ruled out snake bite as she thinks it too cold still. My dog is doing fine now. The frog/toad makes since as we only see them after we have had rain, and it had been raining. When I was a kid when a dog got ahold of a toad he would foam and drool at the mouth. Kodi (my dog) is a back yard breader version of a pit, he is well over 100 pounds. His size and ability to swallow large chunks of food may have be his downfall. I hope he has learned his lesson.
    Good to hear!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Supposedly, modern rat and mouse poison needs to be consumed multiple times. If your vet has been practicing locally for a long time, he probably is correct.
    Glad your pup is doing ok. Don’t think one experience will keep him away from them in the future. I and friends have had dogs attacking porcupines, but they never learn not to do it again.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Supposedly, modern rat and mouse poison needs to be consumed multiple times. If your vet has been practicing locally for a long time, he probably is correct.
    Glad your pup is doing ok. Don’t think one experience will keep him away from them in the future. I and friends have had dogs attacking porcupines, but they never learn not to do it again.
    Some dogs learn to never do it again... one of my friends had a brain dead husky that never learned... I helped pull quills once or twice a year until she got to old to explore the woods.

Boolit Master
    I had to dose my current dog with peroxide when she was a pup due to eating rat poison. Luckily I saw her eat it and got it quick. The trouble is that there are dozens of different rat poison recipes and they all do different things.

The thing is that "How much did they eat" is often a factor of how much is available.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you have a dog full of porcupine quills, roll him up in a tarp so he is immobilized and can’t bite you. Then take a 1x3 inch piece of wood and drill a whole in the middle. Then get some vodka, rum or whiskey in a plastic bottle. Fix a tube to the bottle with duct tape if necessary. When the dog opens his mouth, shove the wood in between his jaws. Then start squeezing the bottle forcing the alcohol down his throat. Careful not to chock him. After ten minutes he will be calmed down and you can start pulling the quills out. Alcohol has a tremendous calming effect on them. Even more than humans.

You can spray your yard with the insecticide pyrethrin, it is also effective against toads and such to some degree.
    https://reptilesmagazine.com/externa...d-permethrins/
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you have a dog full of porcupine quills, roll him up in a tarp so he is immobilized and can’t bite you. Then take a 1x3 inch piece of wood and drill a whole in the middle. Then get some vodka, rum or whiskey in a plastic bottle. Fix a tube to the bottle with duct tape if necessary. When the dog opens his mouth, shove the wood in between his jaws. Then start squeezing the bottle forcing the alcohol down his throat. Careful not to chock him. After ten minutes he will be calmed down and you can start pulling the quills out. Alcohol has a tremendous calming effect on them. Even more than humans.
    My dog only drinks the good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast