Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent Civil War book.

Boolit Master

Excellent Civil War book.

While visiting the Lookout Mountain National Monument above Chattanooga last Fall, I picked up a really good book on the Civil War. This Hallowed Ground by Bruce Catton. Published in the mid fifties well before computers, the internet or even copy machines Catton does a masterful job bringing the war to life. He also fleshes out the human nature of the soldiers, generals and politicians and let's one see how this shaped the conflict. I was surprised to find mention of Minnesota's Iron Range and the new Sioux Locks that made it possible for the North to manufacture large, ship mounted mortars that allowed the taking of New Orleans. If you are a history buff you are sure to enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    "The Coming Fury" by Catton begins with the Democrats convention 1860
    Every American should read it, and never again vote Democrat.
    "A Stillness at Appomattox" by Catton concludes the war.
    "Terrible Swift Sword"
    "Grant Moves South"
    written for the Centennial, 1960,
    while the records, mostly letters, were still available.

My grandfather knew some Civil War veterans
    My dad remembered the old men marching in the 4th of July parades
    So I have a shelf of Bruce Catton.

I own and have read it. Good book.

DG

I have and read his, ''A Stillness At Appomattox'' and enjoyed it very much. I'm a student of Gettysburg and focus on that battle quite a bit since it's an easy day trip for me. If interested in Gettysburg I can recommend the following authors, John Priest, Harry Pfanz, Greg Coco, William Williams, and Stephan Sears. Sears, ''Gettysburg'' is an excellent over-all read of the campaign. Williams, ''Days Of Darkness'' is a good read on the Gettysburg civilian perspective. About any thing Greg Coco wrote of the battle gives a human view of all aspects of the battle, from his small books in magazine format to his crowning achievement, ''A Strange And Blighted Land-Gettysburg, The Aftermath Of A battle''. Pfanz did minute detail in his trilogy, ''Gettysburg, The First Day''-''Gettysburg, The Second Day''-''Gettysburg, Cemetery Hill And Culp's Hill'' with lots of human interest stories sprinkled in. Priest did an excellent job with, ''Stand To It And Give Them Hell'' the soldiers experience, (both sides) in the fighting on July 2 on the South end of the battlefield from the Rose Farm to the copse of trees. Priest even details what I call, ''the enlisted men's charge'' at dusk by Union troops. It was never ordered by any officer and the officers tried to stop it, but it spread like a wild fire among the men who would accomplish more than any general could have ordered. They beat back several regiments of Confederate Infantry capturing their colors, took back several pieces of field artillery that had been over-ran, along with many prisoners. The men were tired of dying because of incompetent leadership and followed an artillery sgt. who vowed to take on Lee's Army by himself if he had to and get his guns back. I love stories like that!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

I have owned and read All of Canton's books. A few years ago I began gifting friends with them since I a older now and need to share the joy. Don't forget Shelby Foote, his boxed set is equally great.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Mr. Foote is a great writer, I like the humor he sprinkles in, sometimes dark, but always amusing.

Excellent thread, many thanks OP and all.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Another pick might be "Battle Cry of Freedom" by Jame MacPherson. While I disagree with some of his interpretations of the politics leading to the war, his descriptions of what took place during the conflict are quite good.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I just checked the shelf of books we inherited from my wife's father. I found three Catton books there: The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat. Thanks for the reminder. I am currently reading historical fiction about England in the 1200's. I will need to start on those Civil War books soon.

Wayne

PS: I lived for a time with an 87 year-old man whose family came from Somerset County, PA. He said that his grandfather had heard the cannons at Chambersburg, all the way across the state.
    Last edited by WRideout; 03-16-2023 at 11:11 AM. Reason: additional info
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I just checked the shelf of books we inherited from my wife's father. I found three Catton books there: The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat. Thanks for the reminder. I am currently reading historical fiction about England in the 1200's. I will need to start on those Civil War books soon.

Wayne
    Pillars of Earth?
    -Paul

I found a set of grandpa's Civil war books as a teen. Harper's illustrated and a bound non-illustrated set. Written in 1867 IIRC. Interestingly, it didn't pay much attention to Harper's ferry, just a mention. Donated them to HS history teacher, probably worth a bundle now. Also found a bunch of ribbons and medals, seems like Ohio Regulars but Grandma didn't have much to say about them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I’ve read every Catton book. Considering the fact that he had to collect his data LONG before computers and the internet were even thought of, it was a stellar achievement.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just finished reading the memoirs of Ulysses Grant
    it was a very good book
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dankathytc View Post
    I’ve read every Catton book. Considering the fact that he had to collect his data LONG before computers and the internet were even thought of, it was a stellar achievement.
    Yes, that is really something. Also important people kept journals and wrote letters back in the day. Mr. Cotton knew his way around the National Archives no doubt!

For those that rather watch video the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War is very good. As well as his Country Music and Baseball documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Yes, that is really something. Also important people kept journals and wrote letters back in the day. Mr. Cotton knew his way around the National Archives no doubt!
    Many regular people kept journals/diaries also. Williams, ''Days Of Darkness'' (the Gettysburg civilians) before, during, and after the battle is full of first person accounts from their personal papers and newspaper articles from a professor to plain housewives. Many tended as many wounded as they could fit and care for in their homes during and after the battle. They were greatly saddened when the army opened a general hospital on York st. and took the men there, they had become family to those who cared for them.

Boolit Bub
    Try " Rebel yell " by Gwyne. Best book about Stonewall Jackson I've read yet.

I've read the Foote trilogy. Went and saw him give a lecture at Transylvania University in Lexington, Ky. It was not about the Civil War. But most of the questions afterwards were.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    Try " Rebel yell " by Gwyne. Best book about Stonewall Jackson I've read yet.
    I'm reading that now. Got it at the library for a quarter!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Pillars of Earth?
    Falls the shadow, by S.K. Penman.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast