RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 38-55 Load Data

38-55 Load Data

Does anyone have a Lee reloading manual? If so, could I trouble you to look up the 38-55 Winchester using the Lee 250gr. FN bullet and IMR 4895 powder.

Also, what barrel length the load data was developed/tested with.

BIG THANKS!

Boolit Bub
    Hello:
    I dont have the lee reloading manual but i do have lyman cast 1973 load manual.
    For the 38-55 it shows following info.
    For test rifle it says Stevens 44 1/2 as model number and a bbl length of 29 inches with a rifling twist of 1-18"
    Load info lyman gives is a mold number 375248 which is 249 grain round but flat top slug.
    And for this slug which really so close to the 250gr you mentioned should work with eigther slug mold in my opinion.
    Info ;
    Red Dot starting load 6.0 gr 945fps To Max Load Of 8.5 gr 1145 fps
    Green Dot 6.5 gr 970fps to Max 9.0 gr 1160 fps
    Unique 7.0 gr 975 fps to Max 9.5 gr 1170 fps
    700X 6.0 gr 950 fps to Max 8.5gr 1150 fps
    PB 6.5 gr 910 fps to Max 9.5gr 1140 fps
    Win 230 6.0gr 945fps to Max 8.5 gr 1150 fps

Hopefully this info can give you the info you need by swapping the lyman 249gr slug to the lee 250 gr slug since only 1 grain different in slug wt.

Head Shot

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

And a tip of the hat to pworley1!
    THANKS!
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Thanks a bunch guys! I’m looking for IMR4895 data, and I had read where the Lee book showed data for IMR4895. In this example it only shows H4895. But again, another source for data, so thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Hello:
    Dont quote me on this and do check my info for accuracy.
    I do know Hogdons powder company bought IMR powder co. so owned by one and the same.
    Hogdons did make for example H110 but also made the powder for other powder companys such as in this example W296 and are considered the same powder just different names for the companys.
    Ok while that maybe doesnt exactly pertain to H4894 and IMR4895 its my recollection that these two powders were pretty much close if not same and even if you saw H4895 that a lot of us older reloaders subbed in IMR4895 . CHECK INTO THIS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF BEFORE DOING THIS TO CONFIRM
    Hogdons has a online load recipe site ill go look and see if they show IMR4895 for the 38-55 win and edit inf back here.
    Head Shot

Ok heres my findings.
    Speer #8 manual says H4895 and IMR4895 are the same but not mentioned anywhere in other manuals i searched.
    A google search comes up with different answers per an Indvidual's opinion obviously but looking at the several burn rate charts i have i see the two the same or on a different burn rate chart by another source that they are right next to each other so eighter very close or still the same just wasnt put in such a fashion to know by their chart.
    Ive also seen in my manuals where they did not specify H or IMR but simply 4895 which just my opinion indicates eighter is fine.
    But then again i did see H and IMR 4895 both listed and chgs were pretty close but did differ and its my thought the reason for this may have been due to closing in on the max load chg and some safety insurance was added by backing the chg back half a grain maybe by whoever did the testing on the one powder but not both = MAYBE????.
    I'll admit that im one of those that swapped eighter for the other and used the load info as shown as long as i wasnt max goosing the load and in my years of loading never had an issue.
    BUT YOU MAKE YOUR DECISION AND MAYBE START LOW WORK UP AND WATCH FOR PRIMER FLATTENING OR PRIMER CRATERING AT NEAR MAX LOADS AS YOU WORK UP IF YOUR WANTING TO.
    I did find that loaddata.com did show an IMR4895 load for the 38-55 win but you had to buy a subscription to get the powder chg info and it was for a 250 gr slug as i recall .
    If i come up with any newer info to add ill edit it in.
    Head Shot
    Last edited by Head Shot; 03-08-2023 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added Info

Boolit Buddy
    Found this online. Modern reloading 2nd edition

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info and leg work Head Shot/Jreid.

In my readings they used to be very similar but later on not. I have been reloading a long time too, but my decision is for printed data that matches given powder. If we could find where Hodgdon said SAME as of late print, than I’d be happy. Again, thank you sir.

Boolit Buddy
    Just found this one also. Handloader 61
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Buddy
    If you are going to use cast lead bullets, be aware that the 38-55 varies all over the place as to actual bore diameter. The bullet must fit the barrel or else you will never achieve any suitable accuracy regardless of the powder you use. Soft bullets may help but if using smokeless powder usually not much. Range of bore diameters (groove diameter) can be between 0.375" to as large as 0.382" maybe even a little larger.

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    If you are going to use cast lead bullets, be aware that the 38-55 varies all over the place as to actual bore diameter. The bullet must fit the barrel or else you will never achieve any suitable accuracy regardless of the powder you use. Soft bullets may help but if using smokeless powder usually not much. Range of bore diameters (groove diameter) can be between 0.375" to as large as 0.382" maybe even a little larger.
    I am aware and have slugged my rifle. Thanks.