RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: predators

Boolit Master

predators

ok I was just peacefully entering some comments here on a couple issues and I hear a spraying or hissing sound outside. I grabbed the flashlight and a semi auto handgun and go out to investigate. didn't smell anything like skunk spraying or bobcat spraying, marking territory. the dog is curled up in the back corner of his dog house and the cats are keeping real close to their hiding and get away spots.
    I get out to where the sounds were coming from and nothing but through some brush towards the side pasture I thought I glanced a set of eyes, maybe two sets
    and fired a couple shots that way. didn't hear any moaning, groaning or houling. thought maybe the gunshots would get whatever is there to go the other way.
    its kind of ironic but the neighbor was over earlier today talking about the bobcats, coyotes and black bears that have been sighted recently and how they lost a half dozen guenia hens in past week or so to an unknown predator.

Boolit Master
    Whenever I am after varmints after dark it is with a shotgun, I am not the best shot with a handgun, so if something needs killing go right to the 12 gauge. My troubles are mostly coon and possums, no bears and I have never seen a big cat or wolf, although they have been seen by others.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’m betting chubacabra, big foot or possibly the moth man ! Lol
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Feral dogs and cats can be pretty hard on farm birds too.
    Depending on where you are, mountain lions/cougars are making a come back also.

I'd keep a eye out to see what sort of tracks you have around there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Nothing like a shot in the dark to cause unintended problems.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    "Nothing like a shot in the dark to cause unintended problems."

This is a valid point.

However,, I do not know what your property is like, what kind of back stop you may have etc. So PLEASE understand that what I offer is purely from a safety standpoint.
    I teach Hunter Safety.
    I teach that you need to always properly identify your target BEFORE you fire a shot. Once a shot is fired,, it can't be recalled. MANY innocent people & other things have been killed or injured by, as you said; " I glanced a set of eyes, maybe two sets
    and fired a couple shots that way."
    I also work as an Animal Damage Control Agent. I would never conduct my business that way.

But again, I only offer this as a way to prevent to potential heartache that comes from a mistake.

For me, an axiom: shooting at an invisible target is taboo.

But, your house, your rules.

Is it not easier to use non-lethal weapons (including noise weapons) when you assume an invisible chupacabra as a target?
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    when you assume an invisible chupacabra as a target?
    Over here, zombies are such a concern that Hornady has a special line of ammunition just for use on them.
    That may be where Pres. Biden got the idea that a 9mm will blow your lungs out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Looking at "a man who greets invisible beings," you ask yourself: is he warm-blooded himself?

Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Ten to fifteen years ago there was a problem in our area of semi feral dogs killing livestock. Especially sheep. We had two Great Pyrenees that lived with or goats and and never had problems. They also kept the wild hogs away too. The worst thing about the hogs was that the run right through the fences, leaving a big hole. I haven’t heard anything about the feral dogs causing any problems recently. Maybe they got hunted down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    Looking at "a man who greets invisible beings," you ask yourself: is he warm-blooded himself?

There are many of us who think his brain is rotten as well!

Moderator Emeritus

We've been stalked twice that I know off. First time was some critter on the other side of a 6' chain link fence stalking an 80lb German Short haired pointer. Watched that from the porch. Couldn't see what but it was low to the ground and a decent size. Other time, my gf used to leave for work by 5 am and there was a set of eyes watching from the woods and an eerie feeling. That time went and got a pellet gun to just scare it. Damn thing did not scare easy until I went in for my bear gun (Marlin 45/70). It left by the time I got back out. DNR swears no mountain lions here even with neighbors seeing them on their ranch and me having a pic of Paw prints the size of a folded pocket knife.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    A hog light attached to a 12 gauge along with 3 inch lead 1 7/8 oz BBs along with a .670 choke will take care of about anything that goes bump in the night. I have killed probably over 100 called coyotes with that load. Just make sure what you’re shooting at and your back stop before you pull the trigger.

Boolit Buddy

I lost 98 boilers, ducks and turkeys to semi feral dogs during daylight. Neighbor saw them existing their chicken house with a layer in it's mouth. Problem was terminated at that point. I saw a cougar on top of pit berm a few years before Game & Parks admitted they were here. That changed my planning for walk abouts or working outside. Nighttime I like my O light.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad it wasn't your neighbor. I have been on the exciting end of somebody's "sound" shot. Felt like I was back at work. Real glad I didn't meet up with the shooter. It would have been ugly.

Boolit Master
    just to clear things up a bit where I shot was into the side of a mountain on my private property that is well posted. yeah in shooting anything humane clean kills are the only way to go. I really need to get one of those night vision scopes. I'm going to put together some more 1 1/2oz loads of #4 shot
    thought maybe some might have idea what would make a loud spraying or almost like hissing sound, sounded like a pulsating big leak from a high pressure pipe.
    shotgun needs to be kept more handy and I'm going to learn more about hog lights.
    ive never seen any wild hogs anywhere around here.

I keep this by the rear door, a 3" 20ga with #3 buck at 75 yards, with an IC choke the 24 pellets cover a fox from nose to tail. Light is co-witthesses to the parrern, with a palm switch. 5 foxes so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1F9F790E-C05F-4E38-AEEB-6300B6E534DC.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I have a skunk bait station 40yds from my bedroom window with a string attached and a cowbell under my bedroom window. I also have a night vision scope which allows me to identify skunks from the neighbors cats or dogs or the rare cougar that I have seen at the bait station. The night vision scope is mounted on a 22KH and stops skunks very well.

For other bumps in the night I use a very bright led flash light and a 1911 in 45. I want to be positive of my target before I pull the trigger.

Boolit Master
    seems a good light like the coyotelight costs as much as a pretty decent scope. we had a gully washer of heavy rain though most of the early morning so there are no tracks or scat to be see this morning

Boolit Master
    "just to clear things up a bit where I shot was into the side of a mountain on my private property that is well posted."

Thanks for sharing this.

Still, as the saying goes; "stuff happens." I recall a case where a father shot his own teenager inside the home THINKING it was a burglar/invader. The teen had snuck out & was sneaking back in. A failure to identify,, even inside the home caused a tragedy.

I too find the expense of the night vision scopes or the similar stuff to be excessive. (MY opinion.) Especially for the limited use it might get, as well as it being an electronic device that can stop working just when you need it. I personally prefer to invest in good high lum flashlights. I have several that really light up everything that would be in an area I'd prefer them to not be. And they also light up stuff well past what I'd call "Too close for comfort" distances.

Just my humble opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast