RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Boolit Master

Eggs

I don't know if this is the correct place for this ?

I was to Walmart today and they had eggs for $2.10 a dozen if you bought the 60 egg box.

$10.48 for the box..

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Good price if you can use that many. I don’t buy eggs, haven’t in years . We have chickens.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy

2 weeks ago Walmart up here 18 count x-large eggs were $9.56 1 week ago $6 and this week $3.56 Crazy GW

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t bought eggs for years. Having my own chickens is an easy source of good nutrition. I love my five egg omelettes and I don’t share. I eat it all.

Boolit Master

Perfect excuse to make some pickled eggs.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Chickens here also. My girls love wild bird seed. Have eight girls and probably averaged four to five eggs a day all winter.

Boolit Master
    Mama got fed up with the prices as well and found a local good old boy with a farm who keeps us supplied. The farm is his hobby and oddly enough he does not eat eggs himself.

Were just not situated well enough to get a coop of our own....

Boolit Buddy
    We have had own own chickens for quite a while. But the bird flu started to take them out. The last batch lived for about 9 months and never laid one egg. Do miss those fresh eggs.

As far as store bought eggs. Well, they got close to $5 a dozen. But this week are now down to $3 a dozen. I eat one a day for breakfast. While more are used by the Missus for baking.

I am glad to see the price drop. Just wish we could go back to having our own chickens. Around here with all of the wild, wild-life, they can be a bit of work.

45_Colt

I just bought an 18 pack of large eggs for $3.20 at walmart.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

We have been buying eggs at Aldi's for $3.00 a dozen for a while now.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

The 60 packs were about the same in Omaha as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Raising chickens is a labor of love.

I cannot figure out how it is possible to save money. People talk about “how much better” or “they are organic”...that means they are paying more.

Our friends just decided to get into egg chickens for personal use and supply friends. They have no clue what they are doing. It will be an expensive lesson and I expect the venture will last less than a year. A few months of below freezing weather and taking care of critters is often a great awakening.

In the end...it is just a freaking egg. I might have four eggs a week, so have a different perspective.

It would be informative if people who keep chickens to save money would share their costs. $6/doz eggs seem cheap to me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    $2.57 dozen at Aldi's today. Walmart,iga and food city are real proud of their eggs at just under $4/dozen. its just like gas, paid $2.86/gal in Knoxville at same club, Costco was the same price and right down the road 87 octane was $3.39/gal at pilot, flying j, marathon and shell. the giant corporations just take advantage of us by jacking up prices every chance they get.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Did you know that in France and maybe other European countries too, commercially produced eggs are never washed or refrigerated. In super markets they are stocked on shelves. No refrigeration.

Eggs (I'm not talking about follicles) can not be washed - they will go bad. The follicles need to be washed.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Raising chickens is a labor of love. ....
    Nailed it. If you are not in it for profit but for your own gratification, you will lose money. Every day, rain, snow, sun, etc you are out there with them. My girls are pretty good about going in the coop at night (door opens on timer) but you get the occasional "I don't want to go to bed yet" and you have to find her and put her in the coop. I have a cheap security camera that let's me do my nightly count. They are fun to watch and interact with, especially when they claim their human to try and roost on. Funny as hell watching them run like prehistoric dinosaurs.

Boolit Buddy

I'm down to four old hens that just started laying again. For years I kept up to fifty layers. I reduced flock after retirement as I lost that outlet. I haven't been replacing loses which allowed longer travels without finding someone to care for them.
    I've noticed prices up and down in some stores. I wonder if lower prices are too move older eggs that were crazy prices. Aldi is where I had been buying.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Raising chickens is a labor of love.

I cannot figure out how it is possible to save money. People talk about “how much better” or “they are organic”...that means they are paying more.

Our friends just decided to get into egg chickens for personal use and supply friends. They have no clue what they are doing. It will be an expensive lesson and I expect the venture will last less than a year. A few months of below freezing weather and taking care of critters is often a great awakening.

In the end...it is just a freaking egg. I might have four eggs a week, so have a different perspective.

It would be informative if people who keep chickens to save money would share their costs. $6/doz eggs seem cheap to me.
    There is more than one way of looking at it. Many people, myself included think those cheap egg farms treat animals beyond horrible. That's no way to live, we shouldn't be abusing animals like that. If I have to pay a local farmer $8 a dozen for hens that live well, that's fine by me.

We raised chickens when we were kids. They are about as trouble free animals as they come, less work than dogs or cats. A single heat lamp kept the coup above freezing most of the winter. You clean out their water every couple days. Let them roam and they don't eat that much feed. I recall a couple bags of feed a month was all we did for about a dozen chickens. Turkeys ate way more, but they are also super friendly and like to be petted. 1 turkey egg is like 2 chicken eggs.

Boolit Buddy
    When our neighbors have surplus eggs from their birds, we freeze dry them. We can do about 60 eggs in a batch. They rehydrate great and keep for years.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was a kid, we raised rabbits and chickens. When I was about 5, we had pigeons too.

I will never raise critters again.

After getting ill three times from folks selling “farm raised eggs” we buy commercial Edda. Eggs given to us by well meaning people get thrown out.
    Last edited by dverna; 03-03-2023 at 12:13 AM.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast