RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr bench rest bullet trap

Boolit Buddy

22lr bench rest bullet trap

Well shooting season has been done for awhile since winter set in. Last year I was in quest of getting good at bench rest shooting and getting the Savage MKII to work well. Now shooting bench rest with the tight groups it tore holes in the back stop in no time. For some time I have been thinking of a bullet trap for the 22lr bench rest. I have looked at all different designs and found one I did like and I think it came from cast boolits. I like how it curved at back to the collecting cylinder, so that’s what I went with. First with the mock-up I did out of cardboard, once that looked good I went into building. Now I didn’t have any thick plate for the build nor the money, but I did have a source of heavy sheet metal. With 3 layers I could get 1/4 out of it that was good for 22lr, just more work each piece need to be cut 3 times and spot welded. So here's my journey into building it

Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

Boolit Buddy

more pictures

Boolit Buddy

and more pictures

Last edited by Harry Tobin; 03-02-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Caswell in Minneapolis has built something similar in the past, but for high-power centerfire guns.. There's were built out of jelloy ( spelling ? ) steel. There were angled deflection plates in the swirl chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    I do have a deflection plate in the swirl chamber, it was longer but powdered the bullet. I cut it down at made small and now the lead is staying together much better

Boolit Master

Great post with pictures and dimensions too. Excellent work and well thoughtout piece. Thank you very much for sharing. james

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Great post with pictures and dimensions too. Excellent work and well thoughtout piece. Thank you very much for sharing. james
    Thanks James. just got a chance to weigh it today. That small trap came in at 120 lbs, can't wait till spring.

That's a pretty cool machine you built Harry!

I heard you shoot bullets in one end and pull these things out of the other?"

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Harry, you did a most excellent job.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Can't tell if you hung the targets correctly. The very first drawing shows the correct orientation of the pipe. Looks like you left off the cone at the bottom, which should be OK. I would probably add a cap on the top end of the pipe so no lead could go out the top or rain down through the top.

My plan was for a similar trap of heavier material, to be placed under a shed to keep the rain off. Might also need something to cover the openings when not in use to keeps wrens from nesting in it.

Jalloy is an abrasion resistant, heat treatable steel, available in various hardness grades. In the mid 1970's, Gate City Steel-a small steel warehouse with a fab shop in Commerce City, Co, stocked Jalloy 360. When the NRA first acquired steel silhouettes, that was their source.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Can't tell if you hung the targets correctly. The very first drawing shows the correct orientation of the pipe. Looks like you left off the cone at the bottom, which should be OK. I would probably add a cap on the top end of the pipe so no lead could go out the top or rain down through the top.

My plan was for a similar trap of heavier material, to be placed under a shed to keep the rain off. Might also need something to cover the openings when not in use to keeps wrens from nesting in it.

Jalloy is an abrasion resistant, heat treatable steel, available in various hardness grades. In the mid 1970's, Gate City Steel-a small steel warehouse with a fab shop in Commerce City, Co, stocked Jalloy 360. When the NRA first acquired steel silhouettes, that was their source.
    Yes the targets are hung correctly, this is a horizontal collector tube style. As far as the end caps, I am making them now. Now if you look at Jerry Miculek’s bullet trap he also uses a horizontal collector tube style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifkn...lek-ProShooter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Harry, you did a most excellent job.
    Thanks Don, it'll be a pleasure not replacing boards this coming season.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    That's a pretty cool machine you built Harry!

I heard you shoot bullets in one end and pull these things out of the other?"

So if I put some ingot molds in the tube they come out as bars, learn something new everyday (hehe)

Super trap!

I use a small Champion trap for .22LR rounds.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJD View Post
    Super trap!

I use a small Champion trap for .22LR rounds.
    Thanks Frank, this is going to work out very well for me. Just need springtime to show up. Did run some rounds thru it and didn't get any ringing sound from it, that's what I was hoping for

Boolit Master

I bought a Champion .22lr trap and it was a disappointment from the get go. It has some fairly wide gaps around the top and bottom side and if you shoot much you will find a layer of lead fragments on each side of the trap. I don't know why they would make a trap with openings like that but they did. The only cure would be to take the trap to a wwelder and get him to tack weld some pieces to close up the gaps. That will add to an already fairly expensive trap. james

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tobin View Post
    Thanks Frank, this is going to work out very well for me. Just need springtime to show up. Did run some rounds thru it and didn't get any ringing sound from it, that's what I was hoping for
    “Empty target butts…

and empty benches...

leads to heavy drinking and chasing wenches!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Like a few others, I invested in the Champion bullet trap and so far it has been subjected to thousands of pellets from my PCP's. I have been reasonably happy with it. It is nowhere near as nice as what Harry fabbed up, but I have zero metal working skills, so it has been good enough.

But it has one advantage. Very easy to move from the 25 to 50 yard target points.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Like a few others, I invested in the Champion bullet trap and so far it has been subjected to thousands of pellets from my PCP's. I have been reasonably happy with it. It is nowhere near as nice as what Harry fabbed up, but I have zero metal working skills, so it has been good enough.

But it has one advantage. Very easy to move from the 25 to 50 yard target points.
    Don I weighed it yesterday and it was 120 lbs plus it will be mounted in the back stop. So yours has more portability, how is that PCP going anyway?

Boolit Master
    Beautiful job there mister.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D93B2B4-16B5-4AFA-B5A8-CE7647E6BCB7.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	311102. I like this too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast