WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: New FEG Pistol Won't Feed

New FEG Pistol Won't Feed

I love those CommBloc pistols. Bought another one yesterday with birthday money (want not need.) I thought this was a P9R, but there are no model markings on it. When I tried to shoot it yesterday, it would not strip and load a cartridge from the magazine. The magazine itself looks like it might not have come with the gun originally; it has wear on the bottom. In my research into FEG pistols, I found that there are the full-size, and a compact model. At least one source said that the magazines are different for them. I am coming to the conclusion that the magazine may be the problem, and that it needs the one designed for the compact version. The wisdom on this site has never failed me. What do you folks think might be wrong with this gun?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0153 (2).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	310894

Name:	IMG_0154 (2).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	310895

Name:	IMG_0155 (2).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	310896

The magazine does not seat fully unless I whack it hard; even then it will not strip a round. I wanted a second opinion before I tried to order a magazine to fit.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    Try this, lock the slide back and insert an empty mag. Looking into the ejection port see if the mag is hitting the ejector or elsewhere. It may even insert OK. If so then it is likely hitting the slide someplace.

45_Colt

My bet is on it being the wrong magazine. Right or wrong, it shouldn't hang down like that. I think this pistol uses the Browing Hi-Power magazine. CDNN had them on sale a couple of days ago.

DG

Boolit Master

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	310897Here’s my old FEG P9 with the original mag. Looking at your slide stop it appears that yours is the newer design similar to the S&W 59. I also think the mag may be the culprit.

Vendor Sponsor

Wrong mag for that gun I would bet.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I agree with the "wrong mag" guys. Beg, borrow or buy a standard High Power magazine and I believe your problems are over. My FEG feeds about anything but empty brass.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Thanks, guys. I will try a different mag, and post an update.

Wayne

Boolit Grand Master
    An HP mag will probably NOT fix your problem--look for a model specific mag. The FEG 9r that my buddy Ken used had a proprietary mag that held one more round than a BHP mag and was a little bit different. The single action FEG's can use HP mags, but the P9R was different. I looked on ebay and saw a few 10 rounders for sale, but the hi-cap mags seem to be absent.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I also think it's a magazine issue. (as in the wrong one). I had an FEG, P9r, Hi Power clone like the one pictured above. Bought new in the box back in the 90's. Nice pistol for a budget gun. It cycled everything I put in it. I shot the snot out of it and gave it to my son. He did the same and sold it a few years ago. Never a hiccup.
    At the same time, I also owned an FN Argentine Hi Power. Another budget single action Browning Hi Power. Which I believe was a licensed Browning military contract pistol. The magazines of these two pistols did not interchange. They looked identical to the eye, but would not lock in place. If I remember correctly, the magazine catch cut out notches were off from one another. The FEG magazine catch cut out was slightly lower than the Browning. Slightly as in I had to lay both mags next to each other to see the difference.
    This could be the problem. The pistol may have been supplied with a Hi Power mag. Being that the locking notch is slightly higher on the Browning, It is locking the mag in place about 1/16-1/8th inch too low.... Maybe.
    Deplorable infidel

I called the store owner; he said the previous owner has about 80 pistols, and a box full of misc. magazines. I will drop the pistol off with him, and he will see if the other guy has a magazine that will work. I suspect mine is from a pistol of different make. It is stamped "made in Italy," but then most of them are nowadays.

Wayne

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I also think it's a magazine issue. (as in the wrong one). The FEG magazine catch cut out was slightly lower than the Browning. Slightly as in I had to lay both mags next to each other to see the difference.
    This could be the problem. The pistol may have been supplied with a Hi Power mag. Being that the locking notch is slightly higher on the Browning, It is locking the mag in place about 1/16-1/8th inch too low.... Maybe.
    I'll totally go along with this, maybe you two could meet up at the LGS and go through the loose mags?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

We did that today. His store looks like a rummage sale. He said he will make it right. You know, this is why I deal with a local guy I know, rather than a big box store that can't hire qualified help.

Wayne

You're right about the LGS fellow. An honest one is a real treasure.

DG

Boolit Buddy

If your mag says made in Italy then I bet it is the wrong magazine in your pistol. You are probably trying to get a Hi Power magazine to feed in that FEG without success.FEG made their own magazines. They are for sale on Gunbroker if your rummaging at your local gun store is fruitless.

Quote Originally Posted by Divil View Post
    If your mag says made in Italy then I bet it is the wrong magazine in your pistol. You are probably trying to get a Hi Power magazine to feed in that FEG without success.FEG made their own magazines. They are for sale on Gunbroker if your rummaging at your local gun store is fruitless.
    I talked to the store owner two days ago; he said he went back to the original owner, and they found that my mag fit in a true Hi Power. Also read elsewhere on the 'net that a Hi Power mag is just a centimeter or so short for the FEG. So I found out.

Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    As someone mentioned earlier. The single action model takes HP35 mags, but the double action models take a longer FEG proprietary mag. I own 2 of their single action HP clones and one of the double action HP/S&W clones and at least thats how the ones I own are.