RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ballistic testing the NOE-453-220-RF-AB5

Boolit Master

Ballistic testing the NOE-453-220-RF-AB5

New video up this morning with the 453-220 RF AB5. Platform is the Springfield "Loaded" in 45 ACP. I couldn't;t believe my eyes but expansion was OVER an inch! These were coated with the Hi-Tek kryptonite green cast to a 12.5 Brinell. Figured someone here might be interested. Load used is 4.9 grains of Bulls Eye using a standard large pistol primer. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-gQE5gkKPI
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Grand Master
    That is going to leave a mark!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Did you test your 25:1 alloy at 12.5 BHN? I do quite a bit with 20:1 alloy, and the few times I've tested it, it was more like 9.5 BHN. It was a good video though, I'm not sure why the comment saying it was too slow. Myself, I like that you explained what you were doing, and it didn't seem like you drug your feet Elvis ammo style. One issue I've been running into with these giant HP 45 acp bullets is that the noses are being deformed in the magazine and to a lesser extent the feed ramp. I've been playing with the NOE 452-232 HP. It shoots good, never once had a misfeed, but the 3rd and following bullets in the magazine get a nice ding in the noses. I suspect it is from recoil jamming them forward and the magazine shape is pinching the noses. While it hasn't hurt anything, I also don't like it. Those 453-220's look better compared to my 452-232's, but still razor thin nose, and huge HP. I don't really like the crazy expansion I'm getting. You seem ecstatic with 10", which is fine. I would much rather get between 1/2" and 3/4" of expansion, and use a smaller nose. I'm looking to try the 454-237 RN next, which cast as a HP should be ballpark 215gr. Looks like a much more reasonable HP and nose design for my purposes.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-03-2023 at 01:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    I did test the alloy. Hardness tester used for all those videos. I appreciate the watch. Yeah the 1" kinda took me by surprise. I have shot tons of jugs with those but never put one into gel. It was eye opening.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!