Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Help ID shell holders

Help ID shell holders

The #1 shell holder has been in my goodie box for years. It seems to be for .30-06-.45ACP group. It has a slot apparently for on-press priming.

The #27 is identical except it has no slot for on-press priming. No clue on what cartridge it fits (larger than #1).

Both should fit the same brand/design press. The securing slot is much larger that the current standard that was pioneered by RCBS years ago. Both have checkering on the upper edges, but #1 checkering is coarser.

Any info on the press these fit is appreciated. Also what catridge fits #27 ?

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-033F.JPG   MVC-034F.JPG   MVC-035F.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    Herters #27 is for a .41 Magnum.

Slot in the #1 shell holder indicates a later production model (i.e. early 1960s change) for presses that accommodated a spent primer catcher.
    Last edited by BP Dave; 02-23-2023 at 10:25 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Herters #27 is for a .41 Magnum.

Slot in the #1 shell holder indicates a later production model (i.e. early 1960s change) for presses that accommodated a spent primer catcher.
    The #27 being for a .41 Mag makes sense. It came from my brother-in-law who once owned a 401 Herter Ram.

So, I can assume that both fit a Herter press (right?).

Thanks for the information.
    Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Both should fit all but the earliest Herters, which used a screw-in shell holder.

The pictured shell holders slip into the top of the ram, and then you tighten set screws on each side to keep them in place. You can snug the set screws so the shell holders don't wobble and turn, but be careful not to really crank down on them, as that could cause the top of the ram to deform.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Both should fit all but the earliest Herters, which used a screw-in shell holder.

The pictured shell holders slip into the top of the ram, and then you tighten set screws on each side to keep them in place. You can snug the set screws so the shell holders don't wobble and turn, but be careful not to really crank down on them, as that could cause the top of the ram to deform.
    Thanks for sharing your expertise.
    Henry