Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess I am becoming dumb and invisible

Boolit Master
    Yep, not as many gals tripping me and beating me to the ground anymore.....
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

This is a fun topic.
    My buddy (a vegetable farmer) says the same thing...He feels people see right through him when he has farm clothes on, so he always makes it a point to dress up to go to town.
    Now I've been semi retired since 2003 and fully retired since since 2016 ...and I tend to dress like a farmer most days. I don't seem to notice any difference if I am dressed up or not.
    I think it's more of a introvert-extrovert thing. I don't really care if I am ignored in public. If I feel the need to connect/communicate with someone, I confront them, whether they are seemingly ignoring me or not. Yes, I am a loud and boisterous type of fellow that people can't ignore if I demand their attention...be that good or bad. My friend, on the other hand, will wait for 'cues' for people to acknowledge his presence and if he never does get noticed, he gets all worked up about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Around here, the glassy eyed soft heads with a phone surgically imbedded in their hand pretty well stay home or are at Walmart.
    Everywhere else, people of all ages are friendly, respectful, helpful, and engaging.

I'm quick to say 'hello', however;
    I'm careful about asking older people how they're doing.
    They can't wait to tell you (all their gross medical conditions), and ya really don't want to know.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Being invisible and having people think you are stupid is a super power.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Walked into one store yesterday and one this morning and was greeted nicely by multiple folks. Most of them were over 40 or so and all working, but it is nice to be seen. I'm an engineer by degree, and location manager at last position, almost always wore a tie, close to 40 years. Since retirement it is jeans and flannel or plain shirt, summer is t-shirt if hot. Don't really care if the kids see me or not, most have their head stuck up their ass looking at their phones... I still do enough of that myself, but not out in public.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Agreed, but my invisibility is uncontrolled, and unpredictable.....I have a nasty habit of appearing next to people and scaring the bejeebers out of them!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

In a Jim Harrison book, his backwoods character goes to the city and stands out like a sore thumb- his perfect disguise is green utility dungarees. Assumed to be maintenance where ever he goes. (BrownDog)
    Personally, when I am going to deal face to face with customer service people - I tuck a pant leg into my sock. Makes them underestimate their enemy.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Carhart Camouflage...I'm happy to be invisible and I really don't give a **** what people think of me.

Hello Thumb. Welcome to the time in life where we feel useless but are not. Being older than you, and retired for 10 yrs now, it does get better. You worked all your life for this moment but the changes we go through can leave us wondering just what happened, but that too will pass. I spend time reloading and enjoying my guns and yes I still buy one now and then although my Wife says I don't need another. She is right of course, but that itch remains to have one I always wanted, if it's a 44 Special!

Boolit Master

Interesting thoughts, here in my little part of West Texas no one dresses other than jeans and t-shirts, sometimes not changing them for weeks it seems/looks like. Though I'm 68 I'm still running a construction crew so even with clean clothes on I'm usually dirty before leaving the house. Sitting at our little country store talking to the girls I always feel everything but invisible to the tourists that stop in, I always feel like I'm getting stared at, course my West Texas damn near burnt black tan, dirty nails, and clothes may make me look like something they heard about in the city, afraid I might bite And with that when I go out and about I always get the nod from the men knowing I gotta be a local, and a smile from the ladies!

Boolit Master

If the "invisible thing" really bothers you, go to the store & buy a slicing cucumber. Tuck said cucumber in your underwear, I promise you will get "noticed"! Of course the reaction will vary depending on whether you tuck it in the front or back.....
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    R,

I prefer being the invisible man. I appear slow, fat, old, and as non threatening as possible. I’m even learning to smile as I size up the threat level around me.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Jesus sees us all, and great self esteem and pride aren't exactly the traits that he likes the most. I'll be happy if at my age, (66) I can be seen as the man that my Lord wants me to be.

Every man who lives long enough will come to the realization that he's not the man he used to be. Then, sometime after that, the really honest man will admit that he never was the man he thought he was. jdscholer
    The first 50 years, I thought I was the Hero in the movie, last few years I have been coming to understand I was a supporting player, so that others might learn from my example, both good and bad,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

That is happening everywhere in the US regardless of age or appearance. It is a product of the left and a direct result of their disdain for basic respect for others. I see it more in the cities, but it is happening in the rural areas just slower. The left wants us to accept everyone and everything, yet they have zero respect for anyone or anything.

You have become invisible to them because they don't respect you. The sad reality is that given a chance most of these types want to erase you and everyone that doesn't suffer their form of mental illness.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-23-2023 at 12:59 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    If the "invisible thing" really bothers you, go to the store & buy a slicing cucumber. Tuck said cucumber in your underwear, I promise you will get "noticed"! Of course the reaction will vary depending on whether you tuck it in the front or back.....
    Had trouble reading that one to my wife. /after laughing a little, she put her hand over her mouth, then said something I did not understand. When I asked her to repeat it she said "I'm about to pee my pants."
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Bunch of kids saw me last weekend...well,at least for a while?

Cpl 3D bow shoots,neither had the normal senior stake so I shot with guys a 1/3rd my age. Anyway they caught a glimpse of carbon fibre and a touch of gray before I left them for dead on the score card.

Heck,I have tournament bows older than some of them,haha.

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Personally, when I am going to deal face to face with customer service people - I tuck a pant leg into my sock. Makes them underestimate their enemy.
    That's right: pants should be tucked into socks. And also: tuck the jacket into trousers.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Master
    I am 74 and I have always worked at being invisible. Being invisible allows me to study others without them studying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Congratulations, you've attained ''grey man'' status.
    Beat me to it. Blessing in disguise
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    That's right: pants should be tucked into socks. And also: tuck the jacket into trousers.
    If you walk around like that on the street here- some people here will buy you lunch, pray on you, and give you a dollar or two.
    Others will be afraid, and quickly cross the street.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast