Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 380 Loads with Win 231

380 Loads with Win 231

Have been using Power Pistol in my 380 ACP loads. Also have HP-38 and Win-231 on hand.
    New bullets are from Lee mold 356-95 TL RF. Application is paper targets and tin cans.
    Is anyone using HP-38 and Win-231 in 380 ACP loads?

Paul
    Last edited by paul edward; 02-20-2023 at 04:56 PM.

I used W231 in my initial foray into 380 ACP w/ Lee 95 TL RF cast.
    Guestimated loads from a variety of sources (looked at COL), and ended up w/ good results @ 3.5 gr.

You didn't ask about 700X, but it was not so good for me (tried it as a have quite a bit of it).

Need to get back to this project as I didn't Chrono my initial loads either.

Yep. I can’t remember the load data, but HP-38 (Same powder as Win 231 just different jug) works very well for me.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the Ranch Dog version which is a tiny bit heavier. When loaded over 3.0 grains of 231, it functions well and doesn't launch my brass into the next county.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I use W-231 with Everglades 95 grain FMJ bullets. Works great for me.

Boolit Master

I use 231 with my cast 95 gr round nose. I have 3 different colt pony/mustang/gov models and the load shoots well in all.

Boolit Bub
    I have used and currently use win 231 in three .380’s (actually one is stamped 9mm Kurtz). Works well in all of ‘em.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely another vote for W231. I use it in most all of my semi autos. Also use a lot of AA5.

Boolit Mold
    I use W231 for my wife's 380 shooting the Lee .356-102-1R. Works really well at 3.1gn, not issues at all.
    For those who fight for it, Freedom holds a meaning the protected will never know.

Boolit Buddy
    Paul, I use the Lee 356-102-1R for my 380 loading. I load for a S&W 380 Bodyguard. This has been one of my more difficult loads to develop. Using HP38 or Bullseye, any of the loads in the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4 group < 2” at 10 yards if I squeeze the heck out of my grip with the loooooong trigger pull. But maximum loads do not reliably lock the slide back reliably. As much as I hate to admit it, my last loading was with Bullseye at 0.1 grain over the max published load. I have fired about 25 with no locking issues yet. I’ll need a larger sample size before I can say it worked. I’ll probably try a few more different powders now that options are more available.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Yep. I can’t remember the load data, but HP-38 (Same powder as Win 231 just different jug) works very well for me.

Sam Sackett
    On a somewhat humorous note, I had the lot number fall off a jug of Hodgdon powder, one of those orange/red price sticker labels. I emailed Hodgdon to see what it went with, and was told W231 or HP38, same lot, different jugs. Mine went with HP38.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    So after different load testing in my wife's S&W 380 Bodyguard using the Lee 356-102-1R, W231 at 3.1gn was her favorite. Nice level shooting at close range (3-5 meters) and I was getting good groups at 10 meters with very little drop.

W231 is my go-to for the 380. If you are looking for load data let me know, I'll be happy to share.
    For those who fight for it, Freedom holds a meaning the protected will never know.

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised to learn that IMR-700X didn't work well in the .380. I usually find it better-behaved and cleaner-burning than W231/HP38, in small-capacity cases.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!