WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Throw

Boolit Mold

Powder Throw

I use a Lee powder throw that I've had for 15 years and it was used when I got it back then. It also leaks like a sieve no matter how I adjust it. Earlier today I loaded up 35 rounds of .44 mag with H110 and realized there was what seemed to be a lot of powder that leaked out onto the base so I decided to see exactly how much powder there was. Turns out it leaked 8 grains of powder over the course of said 35 rounds.

Is this normal? I'd like to think there is a better, higher quality powder throw that doesn't leak as much if at all. I mean rumor has it we landed multiple men on the moon so we must be able to manufacture a mechanical powder throw that doesn't leak. Are my expectations too high?

As a background: I also use 2400, Win231, Clays, Universal, Accurate Nos 2 and 5. These leak also but I never took the time to measure how much. Up until recently I reloaded primarily .38, .357, and .45 just to have something to shoot. No competitions, not running things through a chronograph, just for fun. I started reloading for the .44 mag recently since the God forsaken state of Illinois changed the gun regs for deer hunting so now I use a .44 lever gun and have found an interest in reloading for precision and learning the general ballistics of things. I will eventually start reloading for my rifles like 7.62, .308, 30-06, and .223.

What powder throw do you use and what do you like about it?
    Do you use more than one throw and why?
    Electronic or manual?
    Is there one throw that works well with rifle and pistol powders?
    What throws should I stay away from?
    Am I doing something wrong with the throw I have?

The first thing you might ask is "What's your budget?" I'm not sure how to answer that since I'm willing to pay a little extra for quality. Not sure I really want to go electronic but would be interested in that feedback as well. I'm most concerned with minimizing or eliminating powder leakage and not accuracy. Help a brother out.

Thanks

I use the Redding’s the most, but the Lyman 55 is very versatile. Some like the Lee, but it is not made as well as the Redding or Lyman.

Any of the high end name brand ones will do fine.
    I like my Hornady. It has rotator drums to single throw either pistol or rifle size charges.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I only use my Lee measure for stick powders now. It always would bind up on flake and ball. It sounds like you are missing a washer. Download the parts list and check if that is the case.
    I recently acquired a RCBS uniflow measure and it handles everything. I use the Lee dick system for my pistol loading as I find it very accurate for that. Most of my rifles I hand throw and verify on a digital scale anyway.

Boolit Master

I have Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Herters, Lachmiller, Hornady and Redding. I use the Redding and RCBS most.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    The two I have the most experience with are a Lyman 55 and an RCBS Uniflow with the large drum.

The Lyman works with just about everything, from minute charges of Bullseye to large rifle charges. It also has a neat little knocker to help prevent powder bridging. I like it.

The Uniflow works From large rifle charges down to about 4.4ish grains of W231 (The primary reason I bought a Lyman 55). I like it too.

However, I usually don't mess with fiddling around setting a measure unless I am planning to load more than fifty rounds at one time. I find I can dip, weigh, and adjust quick enough that it takes at least fifty rounds to make setting them worth the effort.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few powder measures I use.
    Redding br 30. this is a good measure for medium to lighter charges. Dosnt leak accurate and easy to set.
    Lyman 55 wider range handles stick powders good. Mine is the older 3 slide drum and is also set up for black powder
    2 harrrels a small and a standard. These are very accurate and easy to set, They are a copy of the old culiver conversion on lyman 55s.
    My RCBS electronic is a early version the on with the IR to the scales. I find it very accurate but slow unless I precharge the pan with a charge 5 grn light.
    I had one of the amts auto scales it was about as accurate as the redding but slow and seemed fussy as to conditions...

If you arnt in a hurry the there is also the belding and mull, very accurate and a wide range . But it is 2 hand operation.

You dont say which Lee measure you have now. But there are fixes for the rotary styles. H110 and 296 are very fine ball powders that are prone to leaking in worn or poorly fitted measures.

PM me and well discuss you measure and see if it can possibly be fixed

I've used most of the common powder measures over the years. Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow, Hollywood, Belding and Mull. The last two are long obsolete and there is a certain collector/nostalgia group out there that use them.

None of those ever leaked powder. Currently use two Redding's. 3-BR for either the whomper loads, 450 N.E. full house loads with the rifle chamber or 380/200 Webley loads with the pistol chamber. I use the 30-BR for all the mid-range loads, 204 Ruger 220 Swift, 318 Westley Richards kind of 20-50 grain loads. Big stick powder in those can be a little crunchy as you cut kernels of powder, but rarely are they off more that a tenth of a grain of powder.

I still keep a full set of Lee scoops for the low volume experimental loads. Loading up 4-5 test loads of a specific caliber is way easier with scoops that trying to fiddle in a powder measure to drop the proper charge.

Actually have both a Lyman 55 and a virtually unused Uniflow that I don't ever expect to use. The Redding's just do such a good job.

I use the Redding #3’s. (I have 3 of them). They have never leaked. If I am loading pistol rounds on the progressive, I use the Lee Pro Disc measures. The newer style has a wiper disc and does not leak.

Sam Sackett

I use a couple of Harrell's. for developing loads when I use my single stage Mec Marksman Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	310734 Bulk loading is done on my Dillons.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Any of the high end name brand ones will do fine.
    I like my Hornady. It has rotator drums to single throw either pistol or rifle size charges.
    I second the Hornady with interchangeable rotary drums. Never had any issues.

Boolit Master

Belding & Mull will never leak. I also use a RCBS and what ever is on the progressive.

I have a RCBS Uniflow I have had for 45+ years. I use Titegroup, Unique, w296/H110 and 2400. It has never been off more than .01 grains either way with any of these.

Also, if it is leaking like you say, I would hold suspect any ammo loaded with fast powder.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Once I figured out why my Lee Pro Auto-disk powder measure would 'spill' a bit of powder...then fixed that issue...making it a pleasure to use, I haven't had a problem ever since.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    i used a lyman 55 but ialso like and use lee ppm ,i find the lee works better than the lyman with bulky powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Put the plastic stuff into the recycle bin, don't look back!

Get a Redding No.3 or a RCBS Uniflo or a Lyman 55.

Did you ever notice on the forums there are very,very few gripes about those three.

Boolit Master
    I'm one of the folks with a Lyman 55 and a Redding. Like 'em both, neither leaks.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

I have Redding and RCBS Uniflow measures. I've recently added a micrometer adjustment to the Uniflow. Both brands drop 2400 with perfect accuracy and consistency once you get the powder column stablized. I also use a baffle in the powder tube that I make myself. These make a huge difference in consistency.

A powder measure that leaks is a paperweight IMHO.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Master
    My Lee Perfect leaked AA#9 like a sieve. I lapped the cone with valve lapping compound, it helped but it is still not a Perfect Lee.

I found an older Lyman 55 a couple weeks ago, dirty and missing the lid but otherwise in good shape. Mostly just need some TLC. Think I really like it.

The measure on my Dillon is accurate and doesn’t leak. I also have a Lyman 55 that doesn’t, either. Sounds like you might want to consider a new measure.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast