MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench suggestions

Boolit Master

Bench suggestions

So I am looking at getting a new bench and would like suggestions. I am not a carpenter, also no real building experience. I would like a bench I don't need to attach to a wall if possible, and also something easy to put together. I was going to use the 20% off coupon at harbor froeght for their wood workbench, but they are out of stock at every store within 100 miles. Any ideas are appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230218-115525_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	310653
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Also forgot to add, currently I'm using a black and decker workmate with my RCBS Rockchucker bolter to a chunk of 2x4 that's c clamped to the top of the workmate. So no real rush, just more space of course would be helpful!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

A couple of cheap kitchen base cabinets and a couple layers of 3/4" plywood should make a nice sturdy bench.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Should work OK - I like a heavier and larger top Bench.

Harbor Freight will usually give you a "Rain Check" honoring the Discount Coupon when an item is back in stock if you ask for it at the store.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Mine was a gift from someone who was moving and couldn't take it to their new locations. It was built by someone who also had limited carpentry skills. The top was a 5' length of a solid core door. The legs are just 4x4s nailed to the top. There are 2x4s nailed between the front and rear legs on the inside and a 2x4 sitting on top of these and nailed to the inside of the legs. I moved it three times. There were no problems with renailing the top on but after the third move it was starting to get loose. I pulled the nails and attached the top to the legs with joist mending plates. No more problems. It is heavy, solid, and doesn't need to be attached to the wall. It has served me well for over 35 years. The only addition I made was to install a 12" deep shelf between the 2x4s connecting the front legs to the rear legs. The 2x4 that connects the rear legs serves as a back to the shelf so I can't push things off the shelf.

If you figure out the lengths of the 4x4s and 2x4s the folks at the home center (or better yet, the lumber yard) may even cut them to length for you either free or for a small fee. If you do a search on this site you can probably fine posts from members who have used the HF bench you are interested in.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy

I used 2 2-drawer file cabinets as a base. I mounted them on 4x4 on it's side to adjust for additional height. Move the cabinets far enough apart to create space for knees. For the top I screwed two 2x6 across the top. One front and one back. I then screwed a piece of 3/4 plywood to the 2x6s. Solid and easy to dismantle with 4 drawers.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the HF wood bench here its very good and the 4 drawers are handy. I did several things to mine that really helped rigidity.1) I pre assembled it so I knew it was right and worked,I then disassembled and reassembled with good wood glue in all the joints. 2) I then cut some 1" x 6" boards for braces along back and sides top and bottom. These were assembled with screws and the wood glue.
    The glue helps make tighter joints and the added braces help keep load and force from working on the joints.

Building your own bench from scratch is very rewarding JUst take the time to think it thru and plan it out before starting. A very nice solid bench can be done with hand tools or basic power tools.

If you would like pointers and help on building your own PM me, Im more than willing to give help/advise

I don't know where you plan to use it. But I used this kit to build my casting bench in the garage. It is hell for stout, you just buy the plywood and 2x4s. You could always have the guys at Home Depot or Lowes cut the lumber for you at the store. I only used one shelf on top of the bench, and used taller 2x4's so that I could put pegboard to hang things at the back of the bench and to suspend a four foot fluorescent light from under the top shelf.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at  1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	310665

https://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-901...753648&sr=8-15

I don't think I would put it in the house though it is pretty rough looking - but in the garage it works great.
    Last edited by hporter; 02-18-2023 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added photo

This is a little more spendy than your suggestion, but it is what I use for my loading bench.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at .png 
Views:	19 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	310663

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Class...2-8997e41410bb

I've got 2 Dillon 650's, a Dillon 550 and a Lee APP mounted on it. It has worked great for me. I mounted shelves above it and it is a very flexible arrangement.

I bought mine at Sam's Club for substantially less than what they are asking for it on Amazon.

I know you said that you did not want to build one. But that would be my first suggestion.

The HF bench is not bad for the money. I would wait for a sale or even watch CL as I've seen them come up for sale every so often. My cousin, who is a master cabinet maker bought one because it was easier and quicker than him building one. And nothing says that you cannot bolt it to the wall, which is another thing that I would suggest.

If you are on a budget, I would check out used industrial furniture places. If you can find an old oak secretary's desk, they make a great loading bench. That's what I have in the basement. Drawers for things like dies, The top is 2 inches thick and all wood, not particle board, very heavy so stays put. And the secretary desks have a comparment to stow a typewriter that is handing for storing larger stuff that won't fit into a drawer.

Check CL tools section. You might find a heavy industrial table that would make a great bench. A bench should be heavy to stay put. The top should be pretty close to indestructible. When I built the benches I have, I used 2x4's to frame and doubled them for legs. The top is 2x6's. Some benches have 1/8 sheet steel top screwed to the wood top beneath.

I've seen benches made from Formica kitchen countertops. You can buy them cheap at lumberyards if they are slightly damaged. But, they are particle board core so are not good for bolting things like loading presses to. Particle board crumbles.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Should work OK - I like a heavier and larger top Bench.

Harbor Freight will usually give you a "Rain Check" honoring the Discount Coupon when an item is back in stock if you ask for it at the store.
    I tried a rain check. Two different times today with two different managers. One in person, one on the phone. No go there, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Bored1; 02-18-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    The plan is for it to go in the basement, hopefully. Not really room anywhere else. The last time I asked around none of the local stores would cut the wood because if you buy the smaller pieces they make more $$$.

Thank you for the ideas gentlemen! Plenty I hadn't thought of.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    There are bench kits like mentioned above, most box stores sell one. Pick up some 2x4s.I was just at home depot and they sell butcher block countertops that just need a finnish applied. Add a box of screws and some careful planning and it will be better built than the harbor freight.

Check the local habitat or goodwill stores in your area. Look for counter tops or old desks. My bench is made from corner cubicle office desks. The tops are very heavy duty but it is built into the wall of my reloading room with cantilevered legs as i wanted a place for my legs to fit all the way across it. I reload sitting and have 5 presses on it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    So I am looking at getting a new bench and would like suggestions. I am not a carpenter, also no real building experience. I would like a bench I don't need to attach to a wall if possible, and also something easy to put together. I was going to use the 20% off coupon at harbor froeght for their wood workbench, but they are out of stock at every store within 100 miles. Any ideas are appreciated!

Name:	Screenshot_20230218-115525_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	310653
    I got two of those workbenches. One for reloading and one as a regular workbench for my reloading room. Both got two pieces of 3/4" plywood with the top layer furniture grade. Glued, screwed, sealed and polyurethane. Tighten up the joints and as suggested, glue them also. Works for me. Good luck.
    Ron

If dollars are an issue, you may want to check if there is a Habit for Humanity store nearby.

https://www.habitat.org/restores

They usually have used cabinets and doors from remodel jobs for not much money.

As mentioned above, kitchen base cabinets plus a solid core door would make a great bench. Two 24" base units, one at each end will give you a solid bench with a knee hole in the middle if you are working off a taller stool. Occasionally you can find shorter cabinets that would work with regular height chairs. Steel "L" brackets from the local hardware store to attach the door to cabinets wouldn't take much. Plus you have built-in storage and it's modular, three pieces that will go down (and up!) basement stairs easily is a pretty important design feature.

If you chose this route, watch the door width, you can commonly get doors from 24"-36" width. Match the door width to your space and the cabinets.

My South Bend Lathe sits on a solid core door and it has served me well for a number of years.

I've seen guys use the basic formed particle board kitchen counter tops. Those don't hold up to the prying of a reloading press when full length sizing bigger cases. Through bolts in a solid core door will stand up to a fair amount of abuse.

And once you start working on a sturdy bench, you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade along time ago.

And buy a decent 1x4 to put a backsplash on the back edge of the bench top. It will more that pay for itself in the reduced aggravation of NOT having stuff roll off the back of the bench.

My knees hurt too much to be crawling around looking for the little screwdriver that made a break for freedom.
    Last edited by 15meter; 02-18-2023 at 10:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I tried both habitat restores in town this afternoon. They have turn into almost boutiques! Both had whole kitchens including granite islands marked at $10,999. Cheapest desk at either was $125 and the glue sawdust material.

"And buy a decent 1x4 to put a backsplash on the back edge of the bench top. It will more that pay for itself in the reduced aggravation of NOT having stuff roll off the back of the bench.

My knees hurt too much to be crawling around looking for the little screwdriver that made a break for freedom."

(head nodding) So true!

You can also consider looking for a discarded vanity. They are cheap or free, and already have drawers in them. You could mount the benchtop of your choice on it; my preference is edge-joined 2X4with plywood or equivalent to make the top smooth.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    here are free plans for a well thought out reloading station

https://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

Try garage, moving sales and if theres a used office or restaurant equipment place too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast