Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: drones

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am well versed with the Chinese DJI user agreement mr ed. ….
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    There are few forms of human on earth more obnoxious than HOA administrators. Or wannabees.
    HOA Nazis complete with a Hitler as a leader...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Have you also researched this?

DJI UAS PRODUCTS TERMS OF USE
    Lastly updated: January 1, 2022
    4. YOUR OBLIGATIONS.
    By using the Product, and by entering into these Terms, you represent and warrant that your use of the Product and your involvement of events or activities incidental to your use of the Product comply and will comply with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations, and that you will not use the Product except as expressly permitted under these Terms or otherwise authorized by DJI. You further agree not to:

Attempt to “hack”, “crack”, reverse engineer or modify the Product or the DJI Apps, or discover, download or publish source code, bypass or circumvent measures employed to prevent or limit access to any area, content or code of the Product;

Extracted from: https://www.dji.com/terms
    Only has teeth if you sell those mods. You can do what you want to your own property. I had a printer driver issue with Win 7, the printer manufacturer has the same boilerplate language, I modded the driver to make it win 7 compatible. I didn't sell or make money doing it for anybody else. I did give it away on a forum for others to use free of charge. Not a file, it was the written code, they had to edit their own driver. First amendment!

Moderator Emeritus

And there you have another beef I have with a certain class of humans, be they drone operators or Harley riders or snowmobilers They positively revel in violating property laws and/or other peoples' personal space.
    I had some bad apple snowmobilers driving across my front yard and wearing the snow down to the grass and tearing it up. I put up a fence, marked with orange caution tape AND a sign 100 feet before the fence saying "Upcoming fence, please drive on the road until past the property"

2 days later a kid drives into it getting the poly electric fence wire all wrapped up in his track... He was out there swearing at me, his dad came by and started screaming at me, deputy I had called before going outside drives up and loudmouths start screaming at him to arrest me for damaging their sled... I pointed out the sign, the orange caution tape ran between fence posts marking the fence... deputy arrested the kid for trespass and told me to do what I wanted with the snowmobile since it was on my property. That got the dad really wound up and screaming... I pushed the sled off the top of the drift into the street(well rolled it LOL) and told him to get that crap out of here. I didn't want an old broken down piece of junk snowmobile. Deputy pulled the serial number off it, came back stolen...

Some people do not know when to shut up, get off the property they are trespassing on and then follow the law. If the kid and dad would have apologized then dragged the sled into the street and onto the trailer and left nothing would have happened... instead papa went to prison when they discovered a bunch of stolen stuff in his garage, last I heard the kids were all in prison too for drugs. Their house was condemned and torn down so no more issues with that bad family in town. Since then we have had zero issues with anyone in town stealing.

There are few forms of human on earth more obnoxious than HOA administrators. Or wannabees.
    When we were looking at houses around here when we retired and moved out of the city,
    HOAs were a deal breaker for us.
    Where we are now, I later learned that when the neighborhood was new, all the residents got together, and formed a HOA.
    Their first order of business was to never collect dues, never have a meeting, or elect officers.
    A couple times some refugee from Calif. or the frozen Northern territories challenged that- the vote was unanimous to keep it that way.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I wish we could go back to drones only being in beehives.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Only has teeth if you sell those mods.
    It's not that simple. How long do you think it would take Microsoft to come after you when you posted reverse-engineered Windows as free open-source code on a server with some serious bandwidth? Think Napster.

You can do what you want to your own property.
    It's not your property. It is a license to use.

I had a printer driver issue with Win 7, the printer manufacturer has the same boilerplate language, I modded the driver to make it win 7 compatible. I didn't sell or make money doing it for anybody else. I did give it away on a forum for others to use free of charge. Not a file, it was the written code, they had to edit their own driver. First amendment!
    In this example you added value to their printer by offering software support at no charge to the company. If you did violate their EULA they were more likely to send you a box of chocolates than spend fifty grand getting a corporate legal team to come after you.

Now we could go back and forth on this ad infinitem. If you want to have the last word go ahead, I'll promise right now not to reply. I think my original intent in posting regarding DJI's EULA is becoming lost anyhow: when one threatens another with the law after that person has already dealt disrespectfully with that person (e.g. operating a drone "in my face") and in this case used technology to do it which was obtained in a less than upright manner they have at a minimum become a Cast Boolits member that should be ignored. Where would we have to go from there? Should I send that person cash for their item in "Swappin and Sellin"?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I own a few private drones.

First off, there are FAA regulations concerning the LEGAL uses for one. I won't go into detail,,, but it's very easy to get into serious trouble if you violate these laws. Federal trouble. Felony. Loss of gun rights.

I own private property. I caught a drone illegally over my property taking video footage. I shot it down. It landed well into my property,, which happened to be my gun range. I then saw it was most likely a "commercial" one,, being operated by a business. I called the FAA. (I knew the laws.)

So, I STRONGLY urge anybody who may get a drone to educate themselves on the legalities of their use.
    You admonish people who own drones to become familiar with the law and then tell us how you shot down a drone over your property.

Shooting down a drone is a federal crime, you should probably know that. I am surprised the LEOs you interacted didn't know that too and arrest you. I'm also surprised you weren't sued for the destruction of the drone.

What made the drone's presence over your property illegal? Do you own an area where the air space is restricted?

Are you sure it all happened the way you said it did?

Rapier -- his is a DJI mavric model, GPS & waypoint with tilt-able camera & gyro stabilizing. Hit a branch, it dropped down a bit and recovered flying. Has auto return-home that lands on the back of his gater where he launched. Has a camera display so you see where it's going.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I just want a drone I can take to the range to fly out to targets to see where my shots are landing without having to walk out 200-300 yards.

Boolit Master

Jack, that's a GREAT idea!

Boolit Master
    Ickisrulz,
    If you read my posts,, you will see that I stated plainly the drone operator was taking video of MY property. He was OVER MY GUN RANGE.

Videoing my property is illegal. Privacy laws here.
    The operator had a commercial license, and KNEW he was in violation.
    This happened prior to the addition of Federal laws where shooting down a drone was added.
    Flying over a gun range at less than 30 yds, puts ANYTHING in danger of being shot. (His video showed PLAINLY my pistol bays, and from the angle,, how LOW he was.)

Yes,, I own drones. But I also obey the law, and expect others to do the same.

I can't prove it,, but I suspect that a commercial business owner nearby had hired him to video my place. That business owner had expressed to others he wanted to sell his business,,, but had "issues" with neighbors. My gun range was there LONG before that building was built & a business opened. The Federal Marshal said he could not divulge anything he discovered in his investigation. I let the FAA & the Marshals handle most of it.

18 USC 32 is crystal clear. You broke the law when you shot down the drone. Drones were not ever 'added' to 18 USC 32, but the FAA did offer clarification in 2016 that yes, in fact, any UAS is considered an aircraft, therefore covered under 18 USC 32 so a crime to disable them while in flight in any way.

As for trespass....you may have a case as state laws are quickly changing and evolving, although most I know of only allow for 'legal' trespass after the offending party has been legally notified that they are not welcome.

Once again....I'm not here to argue or pick a fight, just trying to bring this discussion back to facts when it comes to shooting a drone. It's not legal.

I agree with you, in principle, that what happened at your range should be considered a trespass. Depending on your state laws, that might not be legally true. Unfortunately....the law may not have kept up with the technology in this case.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Ickisrulz,
    If you read my posts,, you will see that I stated plainly the drone operator was taking video of MY property. He was OVER MY GUN RANGE.

Videoing my property is illegal. Privacy laws here.
    The operator had a commercial license, and KNEW he was in violation.
    This happened prior to the addition of Federal laws where shooting down a drone was added.
    Flying over a gun range at less than 30 yds, puts ANYTHING in danger of being shot. (His video showed PLAINLY my pistol bays, and from the angle,, how LOW he was.)

Yes,, I own drones. But I also obey the law, and expect others to do the same.

I can't prove it,, but I suspect that a commercial business owner nearby had hired him to video my place. That business owner had expressed to others he wanted to sell his business,,, but had "issues" with neighbors. My gun range was there LONG before that building was built & a business opened. The Federal Marshal said he could not divulge anything he discovered in his investigation. I let the FAA & the Marshals handle most of it.
    Even if he was breaking NC privacy laws, why would the FAA confiscate his drone and fine him $5000 if he was following the federal laws?

If someone trespasses on my property, can I lawfully destroy their vehicle? Is that a thing in NC?

I want to propose that the laws should read: "if a drone is within shotgun range over private property, it is ipso facto trespassing, and may be destroyed just like a stock-chasing dog."
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I won't discuss this any further. I followed the laws, and I guess the FAA & the US Marshals were both wrong. Otherwise,, I would have been charged.

Boolit Buddy
    I own private property. I caught a drone illegally over my property taking video footage. I shot it down. It landed well into my property,, which happened to be my gun range. I then saw it was most likely a "commercial" one,, being operated by a business. I called the FAA. (I knew the laws.)
    The drone has it's FAA license number on it. The owner tried to come onto my property. Yet,, I had a gate up. I told him he was trespassing. I made him leave. I also called the FAA, regional office & requested a federal marshal to investigate. A local LEO showed up,, & tried to get me to turn over the drone to the owner. I had already "secured" the drone, and politely asked the LEO if he was a Federal officer,, and if he was aware of the Federal laws. He wasn't. I asked him how the owner might have thought I had the drone. He said; "He has video footage he was recording." I smiled. I said for him to call his most senior ranking officer or the sheriff out there. The Sheriff responded.
    When I asked him about his knowledge of Federal laws concerning drones,, he was a bit better educated. I informed him I had already called the FAA, and requested a US Marshal. AND I informed him that the deputy would be called as a witness to the statement by the suspected owner. The Sheriff called the US Marshals as well.
    It ended with the FAA confiscating the drone, revoking the commercial license of this drone owner, severe fines, (over $5000) and a felony conviction.

I kept a copy of the video footage just in case it got "misplaced or lost" & had my attorney keep it.
    Cool story, bro

Boolit Master

why do threads always have to get derailed, i started this to show the benefits of drones to property owners, specifically larger land owners that might need a way to check their own property.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    why do threads always have to get derailed,.
    It's the nature of the beast and is often when you learn the most.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

maybe but "our town" is not a place to argue.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast