Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you guys store your ingots?

Question Where do you guys store your ingots?

I have an old, heavy duty, wooden crate/box that would work great for this, I think. Only potential problem i'm thinking, is maybe wood attracts moisture? I live in AZ and it's <20% humidity here 300+ days/year.

Any thoughts fellas?

Thanks,

Matt

Boolit Grand Master

I have them all over. Some in ammo cans, plastick milk crate is good as long as you don't fill it. I also have some bigger blockes just stacked and some in plastic tubs shaped like bullets but don't seem to get used.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I build small strong boxes made of 1/2" plywood into which I can tightly stack about 50 lbs of ingots. The count varies depending on ingot shape. I have used Lyman ingot molds which produce an ingot that can be stacked tightly wasting little space. Ingots from muffin pans don't stack quite as well. Humidity here in Louisiana is stout and I have some boxes that are 20+ years old and the ingots look fine. When I open a box to use from, I transfer all the ingots to an army ammo can and use from this until empty.

Charlie...........
    Last edited by high standard 40; 02-08-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Sounds like you need to start doing something with those bullet shaped ones! LOL
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Buddy
    I live in SW New Mexico, humidity about the same. I have them stacked on my shop floor against the wall, been there 15 years, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I have an old, heavy duty, wooden crate/box that would work great for this, I think. Only potential problem i'm thinking, is maybe wood attracts moisture? I live in AZ and it's <20% humidity here 300+ days/year.

Any thoughts fellas?

Thanks,

Matt
    I get wooden ammo crates at gun shows for 3 bucks apiece.
    Handles an attached lid and they are very strong and made for stacking.
    I'm lazy, at 3 apiece its easier for me to buy one than make one.
    I've only had them for a few months,after the abuse I give them, they are doing just fine.

As for the humidity, if you talk nice to me,I'll send some of the 90% July and August humidity in the midwest to you.

Boolit Master
    I put 'em in anything that's empty.

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    I put 'em in anything that's empty.

I laughed out loud when I saw the lead in the water cooler.

Pictures from my first casting:

I cast some 155 grain bullets out of wheel weights + 3% tin. Water quenched. These are for my SKS.

Only thing left to do is lube them and add gas checks.

Few mistakes, but most of them look usable for plinking rounds.

I'll do another batch tomorrow. Gas checks aren't in yet, so i'm stuck with just making miniature, .312" ingots.

Mighty nice lookin' boolits you got there, er, I mean miniature ingots.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Stacked on the bottom shelf of the bookcase in my loading room. There's 300lb or so of WW and a couple hundred lb of pure, plus about 50lb linotype. There's room left for more.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

I find I can get better than 200 Lyman ingots into the same 5 gallon buckets that previously held WW or range scrap. I put in 100, carry it to final location, pour in another 100 and then add whatever fits and still lets me put a lid on it. Generally 220 - 230 Lyman bricks in a bucket.

Underneath my gun cleaning bench.

Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    Underneath my gun cleaning bench.
    Gun cleaning bench? Man, my kitchen counter isn't that clean and well organized. My gun cleaning bench looks like the aftermath of Armageddon compared to yours.

Anyway, I made my ingot molds, 10, 5 and 2 lb bricks that stack nicely. I just stack 'em up along the wall under my welding bench, in the garage. The top ones get pretty dirty with slag, metal shavings and whatnot; but it brushes off and I'm gonna flux and clean when I use 'em...

Boolit Master
    I store my ingots in 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids that I can get for free from a local bakery. All I need to do is wash out the frosting residue. I store these outside in a place that is always in the shade to prevent condinsation. I layer the muffin pan ingots in the buckets, rather than just throw them in, as I can fit more in each bucket that way. I never counted exactly how many ingots will fit, but there is no way I'm ever going to move a full bucket.

Boolit Grand Master
    In 5 gal. buckets in the garage.

Shiloh

Boolit Master

All ingots stacked and stored in the workshop, under benches, on shelves, any where I have the room for 2500#
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

What makes the difference if the ingots are subjected to moisture or not? I have some that are outside in the weather.

jar

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    In a cardboard box. I just don't try to MOVE it!

Boolit Master

Before I retired a couple of years ago, I accumulated a bunch of wooden boxes that small parts from a sister plant in Sweden came in. I sawed them in half(height wise), put a new bottom on the upper half. I cast my ingots in iron muffin molds and each box will hold about a hundred pounds of ingots. I've got them stored under my loading bench and against one wall of my shop. They stack well.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    right now, in 55 gal drums as ww and loose lead blocks in a cardboard box. Several 30 lb ingots under the reloading bench I need more time to smelt it all out.