Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 1892 change to 45LC

1892 change to 45LC

Hi I did rebarreled an old 44-40 winchester 1892 to 45 LC, but have not been able to fit the cartridge guides so it does not work, I think i need to change them but can not find them in the web, any idea would be of great help

Change it back to 44-40.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Change it back to 44-40.
    this !! but proly threw the old barrel away

might try to buy the guides for a rossi - might need a bit of fitting (or not?)

Boolit Buddy
    In what manner does it not work? The cartridge OALs are nearly the same, so the position of the slots in the rails should be ok. The diameters of the rim & body are close enough that unless your .44-40 rails are very tight, they should allow the 45 Colt to slip up thru the slots. What bullet are you using in the 45 Colt. A RFN should be used, as most Keith style tend to have too wide meplat and get hung up on the chamber roof before the rim can transition to horizontal thru the rail slots.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    In what manner does it not work? The cartridge OALs are nearly the same, so the position of the slots in the rails should be ok. The diameters of the rim & body are close enough that unless your .44-40 rails are very tight, they should allow the 45 Colt to slip up thru the slots. What bullet are you using in the 45 Colt. A RFN should be used, as most Keith style tend to have too wide meplat and get hung up on the chamber roof before the rim can transition to horizontal thru the rail slots.
    The rim sizes are close to same (45 colt is smaller than 44/40 by 13thou) but case body different, 45 colt is fatter at the rear (by ten thou) and a lot fatter up front (.480 vs 458 at the point of the shoulder)

So proly the fix is taking some metal off the inside of the feed rails to allow passage of the fatter round - not a job for a newby! Need to strip the gun down and be prepared to reassemble and try at least twenty times maybe more ! If he can buy a set of Rossi cartridge guides in 45 colt would be the easy way out.

Not sure the age if the 92, but many needed to have a shim added behind the right cartridge guide to stop a stovepiping issue. I’d remove the right guide and check before I go too far.
    I agree that the 45 colt requires more clearance between the guides. But, if you decide to buff them back be careful and take off no more than you have to to let the cartridge feed. If you take too much material off, clearance will get loose and then you will have to shim it back. You only need about 2 to 3 thou.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Mold
    Years ago I had a Winchester M92 built in 1906 in .44-40 that had been converted to .44 mag in the '60's. When ever I tried to run it fast in Cowboy Action matches it stove piped on me. Worked great as a plinker/hunting rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garand View Post
    Years ago I had a Winchester M92 built in 1906 in .44-40 that had been converted to .44 mag in the '60's. When ever I tried to run it fast in Cowboy Action matches it stove piped on me. Worked great as a plinker/hunting rifle.
    shim the feed rail likely woulda fixed that, the 44/40 case is fatter at the back end and the too much clearance there lets the magnum case stand up
    either that or somebody "bubbaed" it in a restoration/conversion

The space between the feed rails rearward of the rim groove is what stops the stovepiping
    No matter how hard you run a 92 if it stovepipes a round mid cycle its broken .

If a shim doesnt work then you need to put back the metal that bubba removed when he "polished it"