RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300gr 44 mag lever action load

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    That group will certainly do most things you might want it to!
    Thank you.

RP

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pereira; 12-09-2023 at 07:03 PM.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    Thank you for the thoughtful post. The issue is, I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK so not sure what difference that would make.

Scrummy
    I seen that you are from the UK. That's why I tried to be as detailed as possible, as I know some things in the UK are different. You can convert any differences as necessary...or just take my post with a grain of salt.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I seen that you are from the UK. That's why I tried to be as detailed as possible, as I know some things in the UK are different. You can convert any differences as necessary...or just take my post with a grain of salt.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks. Will be an interesting project, I'm sure

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, with 1:20" twist you should be good with the 300 gr. heavies! I'd still recommend that you slug the bore. Not sure what specs Chiappa uses for land and groove diameter but the SAAMI spec for rifles is different than for handguns so "standard" 0.729"/0.730" bullets are too small and will lead.

if you are looking to download some then H110 is not a good powder. 2400 should be more flexible. I like IMR4227 for my .44 mag. Marlin. Unique will likely be fast for a 300 gr. bullet and may not give you the velocity you want. I can't comment on the other powders.

Good luck!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I can't add a lot to this conversation except to say that I am surprised no-one has mentioned the slow 1:38" twist in the Marlin microgroove barrels. Not sure if the OP has a Marlin with slow twist or not.

In my experience, I could not get 300 gr. cast or jacketed boolits to stabilize past about 75 yards. I have a 1980's vintage Marlin 1894 with typical fat bore requiring 0.433"+ diameter cast boolits. I made a paper patch mould for 300 gr. TC boolits and loaded over a max. charge of H110 and got pretty good accuracy at 50 yards but by 100 yards the boolits were keyholing! I tried different charges (can't download H110 much) and different powders with no improvement so bought some "J" bullets in 300 gr. and got exactly the same results.

I have been told that a WFN driven at top end velocity from 1:38" rifling will work and Ranch Dog says his 300 gr. design is stable out to past 200 yards but I did not manage any sort of decent accuracy to 100 yards with boolit weight over 275 gr.

If the OP's gun has a faster twist then not likely an issue. Best to slug the bore though as SAAMI spec is larger groove diameter than for handgun. That was another issue I had with factory moulds... my Lyman moulds cast to 0.429"/0.430" so undersize for my 0.4315" groove diameter resulting in leading. I now load 0.433"+ diameter cast boolits.

I'll add that most of my moulds are PB and I usually load to jacketed specs so fairly hot. I get just a bit of gas cutting at top end loads just at the bottom driving band but accuracy is good. A gas check design would be better for higher pressure loads but if you are keeping them tame probably not necessary.

Longbow
    This may be of some benefit, or it may not. I have the Lee C430-310-RF mold and it actually drops +or - 310 grains; as weighed after powder coating. I shoot them in an old Marlin 1894 (1:38" rifling) using 20.5 grains of H110. If you believe QuickLoad, this should yield about 1,400 fps at about 24,000 psi chamber pressure from the 18" barrel.

I attached this comment to Longbow's post because I see the same performance at distance. At 75 yards, I get pretty good accuracy and maybe you can see a little bit of yaw on the target paper. At 100 yards, you can definitely see yawing, but they are not keyholing yet. Still grouping fairly well. No data beyond 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    This may be of some benefit, or it may not. I have the Lee C430-310-RF mold and it actually drops +or - 310 grains; as weighed after powder coating. I shoot them in an old Marlin 1894 (1:38" rifling) using 20.5 grains of H110. If you believe QuickLoad, this should yield about 1,400 fps at about 24,000 psi chamber pressure from the 18" barrel.

I attached this comment to Longbow's post because I see the same performance at distance. At 75 yards, I get pretty good accuracy and maybe you can see a little bit of yaw on the target paper. At 100 yards, you can definitely see yawing, but they are not keyholing yet. Still grouping fairly well. No data beyond 100 yards.
    I agree with the load data with one exception to use a standard large pistol primer instead of a magnum primer with either H-110 or preferably W 296 unless in below freezing weather.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

I believe the new Marlin 1894 44 magnums will have a 1-20 twist.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you familiar with gmdr levergun performance web site? Loads for your situation there.

Quote Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
    Are you familiar with gmdr levergun performance web site? Loads for your situation there.
    I wasn't, that's interesting, thanks!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I have been told by Ranch Dog that his 300 gr. boolits stsay stable out to something like 300 yards from 1"38" tweist if pushed to max velocity.

Another fellow rold me that the WFN's will also stay stable from the 1:38" twist if pushed hard. I was unable to get stability past 100 yard using any 300 gr. boolits I had or "J" bullets but in fairness they were not WFN style.

Regardless the OP has 1:20" twist so not an issue for him.

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12