Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 32s

Boolit Master

Ruger 32s

Which size Ruger single action was best fit for the 32 H&R the Single Six or the Buckeye Blackhawks with dual cylinders?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm very fond of the single six. Small, light and packs a good punch. The full size Blackhawk Buckeye convertibles are pretty heavy and an awful lot of sixgun for such a little cartridge.

Eric

Boolit Grand Master
    Now you’ve done it! I got a Blackhawk 32 H&R/32-20 combo (Buckeye Special) when they first came out, and although I let that one get away from me, I finally got another one a couple of years ago. I personally feel that for the full snort 32s up to and including the 327 Fed Mag, the Blackhawk from Ruger and the S&W K frame are the ideal platforms. Several of my shooting friends disagree and feel like the Single Six from Ruger are and the Smith J frame are all you need, but they also limit themselves to the H&R level of power while I like to unleash the Fed Mag from time to time.

For this thread as well as in discussions with my friends we just have to agree to disagree.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    While many feel the smaller framed Single-Six is a perfect frame size for the .32's,, others prefer the full sized feel of the Blackhawk frame.
    BTW; Ruger also had a .327 Blackhawk for a short time.

I like to duplicate the feel of big bore handguns by using a full sized handgun in all calibers. Weight doesn't bother me. I carry a full sized gun,, so the calibers are a moot point. The benefits of a full sized gun in a .32 caliber,, lower recoil & easier to stay on target if necessary.

I have extensive time behind a Single-Seven in .327,,, A few different .32 H&R mags in the Single-Six sized frame, the full sized .327 Blackhawk, and the Buckeye convertible .32 cal. I like them all, and prefer the full size for most use. But the smaller framed guns do have their place.

4" SP101 in .327 is just a dandy package. Adjustable sights, good ergonomics, and plenty of room to load up or down. I mostly shoot H&R level loads in ours.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would love to see a five shot Single Six .38 Special.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I think the mid-frame Blackhawk would be the perfect frame for the 32 mag/327 Fed. Could even do a seven shot and save some weight.

Boolit Master
    "I would love to see a five shot Single Six .38 Special."

Uhh, what does that have to do with the OP's question about .32's? (And FYI; a few custom gunsmiths have built those,, but you'll never see a Ruger factory gun like that.)

Boolit Grand Master
    You can count me in the Single-six-group. To me, a 32 should be light and handy, not an aspiring boat anchor. My first .327 was one of the Ruger Blackhawks and while very accurate, it was 3 ounces heavier than my 44 Special Blackhawk. I knew I had a gun on me all the time during the couple of times I took it out hunting ground squirrels. By the Time the afternoon was spent, I was grudging the extra weight and wishing I had brought my usual 22. I sold it to my brother and have no inclination to repeat the experience.
    However, my brother also has a 6 1/2 inch 32 H&R Bisley that is a stellar shooter. That piqued my interest, for I had somehow meandered into my 60's, and big, heavy guns no longer had an appeal to me. Although in actuality, it was only a few ounces lighter, for me, it balanced much better and was very, very accurate with Federal Red and Black Box ammo. I have not been able to find one like it, but when the Lipsey's Single Sevens hit town I jumped on the bandwagon.

However, all was not peaches and cream. Ruger messed up that first batch, using the same loading gate, cut-out as they used on the 22's which was too shallow to allow the cartridge Rim of the longer cartridge to enter without gouging the wall of the case. In addition, the action was rough as a cob. I ended up using a Dremel sanding drum to remove about 40 thousandths from the frame and then polishing it smooth with a half inch dowel wrapped in 400 and 600 grit sand paper and completely disassembling the trigger group, cleaning and de-burring both the frame and the action parts and reassembling. When the 7 1/2," arrived months later I was more than a bit distressed at Ruger. So much so that I resolved then and there to send it back on their dime so they could repair it and I wrote several disparaging emails complaining of the poor quality. For the day has gone when a Ruger is 10-15% cheaper than it's competitors. But once all was taken care of, and I had the gun back, I was entranced by the accuracy of gun. First off, the cylinder throats were as nearly identical as I could measure with my old Starrett Micrometer, and they were just about a thousandth larger than the bore. .313 boolits shoot wonderfully well. I bought two more Rugers, one of the 4 5/8 Aluminum Frame specials from Talo and a 4.2 inch SP101. I have to say the later guns are more finely finished than the first runs were.

I am on the look out for a 3 inch Sp101, and I wish they would make a 6 inch without the under lug. I think I'd buy one of those, could I weasel the money together.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have both the Single-6 in .32 H&R (4 5/8") and the Buckeye in 32/20 & 32H&R. The smaller gun is much handier and gets out in the field more often. I never use the H&R cylinder in the Buckeye but it shoots great with some heavy 32/20 loads (especially since Doug uniformed the chamber throats).

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "I would love to see a five shot Single Six .38 Special."

Uhh, what does that have to do with the OP's question about .32's? (And FYI; a few custom gunsmiths have built those,, but you'll never see a Ruger factory gun like that.)
    'Cause it would be cool, and not that big of a change from a six shot .32.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    You can count me in the Single-six-group. To me, a 32 should be light and handy, not an aspiring boat anchor. My first .327 was one of the Ruger Blackhawks and while very accurate, it was 3 ounces heavier than my 44 Special Blackhawk. I knew I had a gun on me all the time during the couple of times I took it out hunting ground squirrels. By the Time the afternoon was spent, I was grudging the extra weight and wishing I had brought my usual 22. I sold it to my brother and have no inclination to repeat the experience.
    However, my brother also has a 6 1/2 inch 32 H&R Bisley that is a stellar shooter. That piqued my interest, for I had somehow meandered into my 60's, and big, heavy guns no longer had an appeal to me. Although in actuality, it was only a few ounces lighter, for me, it balanced much better and was very, very accurate with Federal Red and Black Box ammo. I have not been able to find one like it, but when the Lipsey's Single Sevens hit town I jumped on the bandwagon.

However, all was not peaches and cream. Ruger messed up that first batch, using the same loading gate, cut-out as they used on the 22's which was too shallow to allow the cartridge Rim of the longer cartridge to enter without gouging the wall of the case. In addition, the action was rough as a cob. I ended up using a Dremel sanding drum to remove about 40 thousandths from the frame and then polishing it smooth with a half inch dowel wrapped in 400 and 600 grit sand paper and completely disassembling the trigger group, cleaning and de-burring both the frame and the action parts and reassembling. When the 7 1/2," arrived months later I was more than a bit distressed at Ruger. So much so that I resolved then and there to send it back on their dime so they could repair it and I wrote several disparaging emails complaining of the poor quality. For the day has gone when a Ruger is 10-15% cheaper than it's competitors. But once all was taken care of, and I had the gun back, I was entranced by the accuracy of gun. First off, the cylinder throats were as nearly identical as I could measure with my old Starrett Micrometer, and they were just about a thousandth larger than the bore. .313 boolits shoot wonderfully well. I bought two more Rugers, one of the 4 5/8 Aluminum Frame specials from Talo and a 4.2 inch SP101. I have to say the later guns are more finely finished than the first runs were.

I am on the look out for a 3 inch Sp101, and I wish they would make a 6 inch without the under lug. I think I'd buy one of those, could I weasel the money together.
    I also have a 32 H&R mag bisley 6 1/2” single six. It is the most accurate single action revolver that I have ever owned, including a few customs.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I have the eight shot 327 Federal on the full-sized Blackhawk and the 32 H&R in a Single Six. If I had known that eventual Ruger would open the Single Six frame for the 327, I'd have waited. If you want the 32-20 option, get the Buckeye Special, if however, your real desire is a 32 H&R then the Single Six.

Boolit Grand Master
    The reintroduction a few years ago of Ruger’s smaller flat top Blackhawk frame presented the ideal platform for the serious versions of the straight side 32 revolver cartridges, up to and including the 327 FM, the true magnum in the family. I considered building one when they came out in 38 and 44 Spl versions, but those have become too pricey to prove a point building a custom. To my way of thinking, that leaves the Buckeye Spl 32 Combo and the stainless Blackhawk 327 Eight Shooter available to fill the bill. With the prices both of these are now bringing, apparently a lot of folks agree. If Al Storie ever gets caught up making replacement cylinders for them, I hope to get one in 327 (six shot) for my Buckeye Spl, then the Eight Shooter can become available for sale… nah, I’m feeling seller’s remorse just thinking about it.

The folks who insist on limiting the 32s by placing them in Single Six or Seven Rugers (or J frame Smiths) are missing out on the true potential of this family of calibers.
    "It aint easy being green!"

I'm in the Single Six camp on this one...I have three Rugers; a pair of 4-5/8" bbl'd and a 5-1/2". All are wonderfully accurate, but the shorter bbl'd ones are a lot more convenient to pack around. And too, at least in my hands, the shorter barrels are every bit as accurate as the 5-1/2" from field positions.

All of mine are .32 H&R which gives me all the velocity I need for targets or small game and with reduced muzzle blast. Like another poster here, I think of them as reloadable .22's for their accuracy and light weight. My favorite bullet is the RCBS 31-98 LSWC, sized to 0.313" and cast of ACWW. I've pushed this outstanding bullet to 1100 fps, just in accuracy vs velocity experiments, and had 2" @ 25 yd success. But my regular loads hover around 1000 fps.

Hornady's excellent 85 gr XTP does as well and gives some add'l speed if the need is anticipated, and with minimal elevation change out to 25 yds too.

I also have a Smith M-16 in .32 H&R, but find that it spends a lot more time in the safe than the SS's by Ruger, mostly because the weight of that K-frame with its useless full length under-barrel lug. Why S&W hung that beautiful gun with that monstrosity is a mystery to me...a pencil bbl. like the M-67 would have suited me just fine and made for a much lighter and entirely more useful carry gun for field work...the round (.32 H&R) is, IMHO, a first rate field cartridge but way too light for CC use. But as is always the case, YMMv. Here's the obligatory pic. Best regards, Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 02-19-2023 at 09:02 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Which size Ruger single action was best fit for the 32 H&R the Single Six or the Buckeye Blackhawks with dual cylinders?
    My personal opinion is that the Ruger SSM is the perfect size for the .32 H&R. I do like the adjustable sights, just wish I could see them clearly without glasses these days.

If I were to want the increased power level of the .327 Federal, then I would agree the Blackhawk would be better.

I truly regret that I didn't buy at least two of each version of the .32 H&R Ruger's and S&W's that were available in the late 1980's-2000 timeframe.

Robert

New Model Single Six here, although chambered in .32H&R mag it has only fired .32sw longs.

Little girl has an attitude though, wants to be refereed to as "Her Royal Majesty" or "Princess" for short.
    I think she thinks the .32H&R Mag stands for Her Royal Majesty.

Dis her and she'll give you a shotgun pattern. Talk to her sweet and she is a laser.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

It's the Ruger Single Six for me in 32 H&R. Mine is an original run with 6 1/2" barrel. Extremely accurate and gives all I want out of a .32 cal handgun. Had a couple K frames but found them to be too heavy for what I wanted in a 32 handgun. Same with the BH size framed .32 H&R/32-20s.

In 32 S&WL I find the S&W M30 J Frame w/3" barrel to be very much my cup of tea.

If I wanted "almost as powerful as a 357" I would use my S&W M19 w/2 1/2" barrel or my 6" barreled Ruger Security Six both of which are really 357s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01843.JPE 
Views:	8 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	310623

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01845.JPE 
Views:	8 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	310624
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Had one of the convertible BHs and it was just way too big for the round...

Have had a bunch of S-Ss in .32 H&R Magnum and it is the perfect size bullet launcher for them.

Have not had any of the Single-Sevens yet as I got a great deal on a Freedom Arms 97 just when I was about to buy the Ruger... I am hoping that Ruger brings back the little high polished Birdshead and 4 5/8" blue with the XS sights and aluminum gripframe...

I do agree with Froggie on the S&W K-frames...excellent shooter/platform for the .327... Have a converted Model 53 and it is one of my all time favorite guns...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    "Had a couple K frames but found them to be too heavy for what I wanted in a 32 handgun."

Larry, I agree with you but I haven't been able to talk myself into parting with my "heavy" 4" 16-4. It took too long to find it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast